A REVIEW ON PHYTOSOMES: NOVEL APPROACH FOR HERBAL PHYTOCHEMICALS
Â The poor oral bioavailability of polyphenolic compound can be enhanced through the incorporation of them into phospholipid based self-assembled delivery system, i.e. popularly known as phytosome. â€œPhytoâ€ means plants and â€œsomeâ€ resembles a covering around/or a structure. Phytosome is generally prepared by reacting one or two moles of polyphenolic phytoconstituents and phospholipid. It may be either in the ratio of 1:1 and 1:2. By using phytosomes, one can also achieve enhanced rate and extent of the passage of lipophilic herbal constituents across lipid membrane that explains its character as a carrier as well as acid labile herbal drugs could also be protected in gastrointestinal tract. There are number of products available in the market that contains phytosomal drug delivery system such as Ginkgo biloba, Silybum marianum, and Camellia sinensis. The present review describes an updated overview of preparation of phytosomes, advancement in phytosomes technology, various herbal drugs for which phytosomes have been used as a carrier, its commercial availability and applications.
2. Gandhi A, Dutta A, Pal A, Bakshi P. Recent trend of phytosomes for delivering herbal extract with improved bioavailability. J Pharmacogn Phytochem 2012;1(4):6.
3. Kalita B, Das KM, Sharma KA. Novel phytosome formulation making herbal extract more effective. J Pharm Technol 2013;6(11):1295.
4. Jadhav IA, Wadhave AA, Arsul VA, Sawarkar HS. Phytosome a novel approach in herbal drug. Int J Pharm Anal 2014;2(5):478.
5. Jain N, Gupta PB, Thakur N, Jain R, Banweer J. Phytosome a novel drug delivery system for herbal medicine. Int J Pharm Sci Drug Res 2010;2(4):224.
6. Kareparamban AJ, Nikam HP, Jadhav PA, Kadam JV. Phytosome a novel revolution in herbal drugs. Int J Res Pharm Chem 2012;2(2):300.
7. Amin T, Bhat S. A review on phytosome technology as a novel approach to improve the bioavailability of nutraceuticals. Int J Online Adv Res Technol 2012;1:1-15.
8. Kidd PM. Bioavailability and activity of phytosome complexes from botanical polyphenols: The silymarin, curcumin, green tea, and grape seed extracts. Altern Med Rev 2009;14(3):226-46.
9. Bombardelli E, Mustich G. Bilobalide Phospholipid Complex their Uses and Formulation Containing them. U.S Patent No. EPO275005; 1991.
10. Ghanbarzadeh B, Babazadeh A, Hamishekhar H. Nano-phytosome as a potential food-grade delivery system. J Food Sci 2016;15:126-35.
11. Available from: http://www.indena.com. [Last accessed on 2017 Feb 20].
12. Avaialble from: http://www.phytosomes.info. [Last accessed on 2017 Feb 26].
13. Sharma S, Sikarwar M. Phytosome: A review. Plant Indica 2005;1(2):1-3.
14. Murray. Phytosome Increase the Absorption of Herbal Extract. Available from: http://www.doctormurray.com/articles/silybin.htm. [Last accessed on 2017 May 15].
15. Vitamedics, Phytosome Products. Available from: http://www. vitamedics.com. [Last accessed on 2017 Apr 16]. 16. Mukherjee PK, Malti K, Kumar V. Value added drug delivery system with botanicals: Approach for dosage development and natural resources. Pharm Rev 2007;6:57-60.
17. Trotta M, Peira E, Carlotti ME, Gallarate M. Deformable liposomes for dermal administration of methotrexate. Int J Pharm 2004;270(1-2):119-25.
18. Kesharwani R, Patel D, Sachan KA, Mazumdar B. Ethosomes: A novel approach for transdermal and topical drug delivery. Int J Cosmet Sci 2015;6:15.
19. LÃ³pez-Pinto JM, GonzÃ¡lez-RodrÃguez ML, Rabasco AM. Effect of cholesterol and ethanol on dermal delivery from DPPC liposomes. Int J Pharm 2005;298(1):1-12.
20. Saraf S, Paliwal S, Saraf S. Sphingosomes a novel approach to vesicular drug delivery. Int J Curr Sci Res 2011;1:63-8.
21. Webb MS, Harasym TO, Masin D, Bally MB, Mayer LD. Sphingomyelin-cholesterol liposomes significantly enhance the pharmacokinetic and therapeutic properties of vincristine in murine and human tumour models. Br J Cancer 1995;72(4):896-904.
22. Zhigaltsev IV, Maurer N, Akhong QF, Leone R, Leng E, Wang J, et al. Liposome-encapsulated vincristine, vinblastine and vinorelbine: A comparative study of drug loading and retention. J Control Release 2005;104(1):103-11.
23. Patel D, Patel C, Jani R. Ufasomes a vesicular drug delivery. Syst Rev Pharm 2011;2:72.
24. Roy S, Dey J. Self organization and microstructures of sodium 11-acrylamidoundecanoate in water. Langmuir 2003;19:9625-9.
25. Nayak RR, Roy S, Dey J. Characterization of polymeric vesicles of poly (sodium- 11 acrylamidoundecanoate in water. Colloid Polym Sci 2006;285:219-24.
26. Sharma A, Arora S. Formulation and in vitro evaluation of ufasomes for dermal administration of methotrexate. ISRN Pharm 2012;2012:873653.
27. Verma S, Bhardwaj A, Vij M, Bajpai P, Goutam N, Kumar L. Oleic acid vesicles: A new approach for topical delivery of antifungal agent. Artif Cells Nanomed Biotechnol 2014;42(2):95-101.
28. Pandita A, Sharma P. Pharmacosomes: An emerging novel vesicular drug delivery system for poorly soluble synthetic and herbal drugs. ISRN Pharm 2013;2013:348186.
29. Semalty A, Semalty M, Rawat BS, Singh D, Rawat MS. Pharmacosomes: The lipid-based new drug delivery system. Expert Opin Drug Deliv 2009;6(6):599-612.
30. Shivanand P, Kinjal PR. Phytosomes: Technical revolution in phytomedicine. Int J Pharm Technol Res 2010;2:627-31.
31. Sharma M, Meshram N. Recent advancement in phytosomes: An emerging technology in the field of pharmacognostical research. Int J Nanomater Nanotechnol Nanomed 2015;S:128.
32. Cusi MG, Terrosi C, Savellini GG, Genova DG, Zurbriggen R, Correale P. Chemotherapeutic drug may be used to enhance the killing efficacy of human tumour antigen peptide-specific. Vaccine 2004;22:735-9.
33. Almeida JD, Edwards DC, Brand CM, Heath TD. Formation of virosomes from influenza subunits and liposomes. Lancet 1975;2(7941):899-901.
34. Shoji J, Tanihara Y, Uchiyama T, Kawai A. Preparation of virosomes coated with the vesicular stomatitis virus glycoprotein as efficient gene transfer vehicles for animal cells. Microbiol Immunol 2004;48(3):163-74.
35. Kaneda Y. Virosomes: Evolution of the liposome as a targeted drug delivery system. Adv Drug Deliv Rev 2000;43(2-3):197-205.
36. Mohammadzadeh Y, Gholami S, Rasouli N, Sarrafzadeh S, Tabib SS, Aref SH, et al. Introduction of cationic virosomes derived from vesicular stomatitis virus as a novel gene delivery system for sf9 cells. J Liposome Res 2016;27:1-7.
37. Tasies FL, Calvo ME, Sarabia CM, Aguilellaarzi M, Angelova A, Lesieur S, et al. Preparation of uniform rich cholesterol unilamellar nanovesicles using Co2 expanded solvents. Langmuir 2013;29:6519-28.
38. Cano-Sarabia M, Angelova A, Ventosa N, Lesieur S, Veciana J. Cholesterol induced CTAB micelle-to-vesicle phase transitions. J Colloid Interface Sci 2010;350(1):10-5.
39. Elizondo E, Larsen J, Hatzakis SN, Cabrera I, Bjornholm T, Veciana J, et al. Determination of the encapsulation efficiency of individual vesicles using single vesicles photolysis and confocal single molecule detection. J Am Chem Soc 2012;134:1918-21.
40. Karimi N, Ghanbarzadeh B, Hamishekhar H, Keivani F, Pezeshki A, Gholian MM. Phytosome and liposome: The beneficial encapsulation system in the drug delivery and food application. Appl Food Biotechnol 2015;2(3):21.
41. Bhattacharya S, Ghosh A. Phytosomes: The emerging technology for enhancement of bioavailability of botanicals and nutraceuticals. Internet J Aesthet Antiaging Med 2008;2(1):???.
42. Bhattacharya S. Phytosomes: Emerging strategy in delivery of herbal drugs and nutraceuticals. Pharm Times 2009;41(3):9-12.
43. Pawar AH, Bhangale DB. Phytsome as a novel biomedicine: A microencapsulated drug delivery system. J Bioanal Biomed 2015;7(1):8.
44. Patel J, Patel R, Khambolja K, Patel N. An overview of phytosomes as an advanced herbal drug delivery system. Asian J Pharm Sci 2009;4(6):363-71.
45. Kumar P, Yadav S, Agarwal A, Kumar N. Phytosomes a novel phyto-phospholipid carrier: An overview. Int J Pharm Res Dev 2010;2(6):1-7.
46. Maffei Facino R, Carini M, Aldini G, Bombardelli E, Morazzoni P, Morelli R. Free radicals scavenging action and anti-enzyme activities of procyanidines from Vitis vinifera. A mechanism for their capillary protective action. Arzneimittelforschung 1994;44(5):592-601.
47. Moscarella S, Giusti A, Marra F, Marena C, Lampertico M, Relli P, et al. Therapeutic and antilipoperoxidant effect of silybin phosphatidylcholine complex in chronic liver disease: Preliminary result. Curr Ther Res 1993;53:98-102.
48. Awasthi R, Kulkarni TG, Pawar KV. Phytosomes an approach to increase the bioavailability of plant extract. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2011;3(2):2.
49. Vinod KR, Sandhya S, Chandrashekhar J, Swetha R, Rajeshwar T, Banji D, et al. A review on genesis and characterization of phytosomes. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2010;4(3):71.
50. Aggarwal KV, Gupta A, Chaturvedi S. Improvement in bioavailability of class III drug: Phytolipid delivery system. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2012;4(1):38.
51. Maryana W, Rachmawati H, Mudhakir D. Formation of phytosome containing silymarin using thin layer hydration technique aimed for oral delivery. Mater Today Proc 2016;3:857-8.
52. Mazumder A, Dwivedi A, du Preez JL, du Plessis J. In vitro wound healing and cytotoxic effects of sinigrin-phytosome complex. Int J Pharm 2016;498(1-2):284.
53. Habbu P, Madagundi S, Kulkarni R, Jadav S, Vanakudri R, Kulkarni V. Preparation and evaluation of bacopa-phospholpid complex for antiamnesic activity in rodents. Drug Invent Today 2013;5:14.
54. Keerthi B, Pingali SP, Srinivas P. Formulation and evaluation of capsule of Ashwagandha phytosome. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2014;29(2):140.
55. Dhase SA, Saboo SS. Preparation and evaluation of phytosome containing methanolic extract of leaves of Aegle marmelos (Bael). Int J Pharm Technol Res 2015;8(6):232-3.
56. Maryana W, Rahma A, Mudhakir D, Rachmawati H. Phytosome containing silymarin for oral administration: Formulation and physical evaluation. J Biomed Sci Eng 2015;25:56.
57. Singh RP, Gangadharappa VH, Mruthunjaya K. Phytosome loaded novel herbal drug delivery system: A review. Int Res J Pharm 2016;7(6):15-21.
58. Nagpal N, Arora M, Swami G, Rageeb, Kapoor R. Designing of a phytosome dosage form with Tecomella undulata as a novel drug delivery for better utilization. Pak J Pharm Sci 2016;29(4):1231-5.
59. Zhang Z, Chen Y, Deng J, Jia X, Zhou J, Lv H. Solid dispersion of berberine-phospholipid complex/TPGS 1000/SiO2: Preparation, characterization and in vivo studies. Int J Pharm 2014;465(1-2):308.
60. Habbu P, Madagundi S, Kulkarni R, Jadav S, Vanakudri R, Kulkarni V. Preparation and evaluation of bacopa-phospholpid complex for antiamnesic activity in rodents. Drug Invent Today 2013;5:13-21.
61. Zhang Z, Chen Y, Deng J, Jia X, Zhou J, Lv H. Solid dispersion of berberine-phospholipid complex/TPGS 1000/SiO2: Preparation, characterization and in vivo studies. Int J Pharm 2014;465(1-2):306-16.
62. Mazumder A, Dwivedi A, du Preez JL, du Plessis J. In vitro wound healing and cytotoxic effects of sinigrin-phytosome complex. Int J Pharm 2016;498(1-2):283-93.
63. Tedesco D, Steidler S, Galletti S, Tameni M, Sonzogni O, Ravarotto L. Efficacy of silymarin-phospholipid complex in reducing the toxicity of aflatoxin B1 in broiler chicks. Poult Sci 2004;83(11):1839-43.
64. La Grange L, Wang M, Watkins R, Ortiz D, Sanchez ME, Konst J, et al. Protective effects of the flavonoid mixture, silymarin, on fetal rat brain and liver. J Ethnopharmacol 1999;65(1):53-61.
65. Udapurkar PP, Bhusnure O, Kamble S, Biyani K. Phyto-phospholipid complex vesicles for phytoconstituents and herbal extracts: A promising drug delivery system. Int J Herbal Med 2016;4(5):14-20.
66. Fascina RM. Free radicals scavenging action and anti-enzyme activity of procyanidins from Vitis vinifera. A mechanism for their capillary protective action. Arzneimittelforschung 1994;44:592-601.
67. Phytosomes: A Technical Revolution on Phytomedicine. Available from: http://www.indena.com. [Last accessed on 2017 Apr 10].
68. Available from: http://www.phospholipidsonline.com. [Last accessed on 2017 May 08].
69. Di Pierro F, Menghi AB, Barreca A, Lucarelli M, Calandrelli A. Greenselect phytosome as an adjunct to a low-calorie diet for treatment of obesity: A clinical trial. Altern Med Rev 2009;14(2):154-60.
70. Pierro DF. Clinical efficacy of green select phytosome in patients affected by obesity. Integr Nutr 2008;11(2):15-21.
71. Marczylo TH, Verschoyle RD, Cooke DN, Morazzoni P, Steward WP, Gescher AJ. Comparison of systemic availability of curcumin with that of curcumin formulated with phosphatidylcholine. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 2007;60(2):171-7.
72. Franceschi F, Giori A. A Phospholipid Complexes of Olive Fruits or Leaves Extracts having Improved Bioavailability EP/1844785; 2007.
73. Di Pierro F. Composition Comprising Ginko biloba Derivatives for the Treatment of Asthmatic and Alergic Conditions. EP1813280; 2007.
74. Kleinman HK, Goldstein AL, Malinda KM. Treatment of Skin, and Wound Repair with Thymosin Beta 4. U.S Patent No. 20070015698; 2007.
75. Khare AB. Soluble Isoflavone Compostions. WO/2004/45541; 2004.
76. Indena SP. Phospholipid Complex of Curcumin having Improved Bioavilability EP2228062 A1; 2007.
77. Fatty Acid Monoesters of Sorbityl Furfural and Compostion for Cosmetic and Dermatological use EP1690862.
78. Cosmetic and Dermatological Compositions for the Treatment of Aging and EP1640041.
79. Complex of Saponin with Phospholipid and Pharmaceutical and Cosmetic Compositions Containing them EP0283713.
80. El Maghraby GM, Williams AC, Barry BW. Oestradiol skin delivery from ultradeformable liposomes: Refinement of surfactant concentration. Int J Pharm 2000;196(1):63-74.