MUCOADHESIVE MICROSPHERES FOR CONTROLLED DELIVERY OF DRUGS
Microspheres constitute an important part of the novel drug delivery system by virtue of their small size and efficient carrying capacity. Due to their
long residence time, bioadhesive characteristics mucoadhesion can be coupled to microspheres to develop mucoadhesive microspheres. Bioadhesion
can be defined as the state in which two materials, at least one of which is biological in nature, are held together for a prolonged time period by
means of interfacial forces. Microspheres are the carrier linked drug delivery system in which particle size is ranges from 1 to 1000 Î¼m range in
diameter having a core of drug and entirely outer layers of polymer as a coating material. Mucoadhesive microspheres have advantages like efficient
absorption and improved bioavailability of the drugs due to a high surface to volume ratio, a much more intimate contact with the mucus layer,
controlled and sustained release of drug from dosage form and exact targeting of drugs to the absorption site. The present study aims to provide an
overview of various aspects of mucoadhesive microspheres, methodology of preparation of mucoadhesive microspheres, method of evaluation, and
their applications in drug delivery.
Keywords: Mucoadhesion, Mucoadhesive microsphere, Controlled release.
1. Chaturvedi G, Saha RN. A review on microsphere technology and its application. Birla Inst Technol Sci 2009;1(1):56-8.
2. Vikrant NK, Gudsoorkar VR, Hiremath SN, Dolas RT, Kashid VA. Microspheres â€“ A novel drug delivery system. Int J Pharm Chem Sci 2012;1(1):113-27.
3. Robinson JR, Gurny R, Junginger HE. Rationale of bioadhesion/mucoadhesion and bioadhesion possibilities and future trends. Wissenchaftliche Verlag Gesellschaft Sci 1990;1(2):13-28.
4. Parmar H, Bakliwal S, Gujarathi N, Rane B, Pawar S. Different methods of formulation and evaluation of mucoadhesive microsphere. Int J Appl Biol Pharm Technol 2010;2(2):974-6.
5. Kataria S, Middha A, Sandhu P, Bilandi A, Kapoor B. Microsphere: A review. Int J Res Pharm Chem 2011;1(4):1185-98.
6. Boddupalli BM, Mohammed ZN, Nath RA, Banji D. Mucoadhesive drug delivery system: An overview. J Adv Pharm Technol Res 2010;1:381-7.
7. Garg A, Upadhyay P. Mucoadhesive microspheres â€“ A short review. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2012;5(3):24-7.
8. Alagusundaram M, Chetty MS, Umashankari K, Badarinath AV, Lavanya C, Ramkanth S. Microspheres as a novel drug delivery system: A review. Int J Chem Tech Res 2009;1(3):526-34.
9. Asane GS, Nirmal SA, Rasal KB, Naik AA, Mahadik MS, Rao YM. Polymers for mucoadhesive drug delivery system: A current status. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 2008;34(11):1246-66.
10. Punitha S, Girish Y. Polymers in mucoadhesive buccal drug delivery system: A review. Int J Res Pharm Sci 2010;1(2):170-86.
11. Swarbrick J, Boylan JC. Encyclopedia of Pharmaceutical Technology. Vol. 9. New York: Marcel Dekker Incorporation; 1994. p. 246-9.
12. Meena KP, Dangi JS, Samal PK, Namedo KP. Recent advances in microsphere manufacturing technology. Int J Pharm Technol 2011;3:854-5.
13. Moy AC, Mathew ST, Mathapan R, Prasanth VV. Microsphere â€“ An overview. Int J Pharm Biomed Sci 2011;2(2):332-8.
14. Choudhury PK, Murthy PN, Tripathy NK. Formulation and in-vitro evaluation of colon specific polymeric microspheres of ornidazole. Am J Pharm Technol Res 2012;2(3):783-96.
15. Kushwaha P, Fareed S, Nanda S, Mishra A. Design and fabrication of tramadol HCl loaded multiparticulate colon targeted drug delivery system. J Chem Pharm Res 2011;3(5):584-95.
16. Kaurav H, Harikumar SL, Kaur A. Mucoadhesive microspheres as carriers in drug delivery: A review. Int J Drug Dev Res 2012;4(2):21â€‘34.
17. Lim F, Moss RD. Microencapsulation of living cells and tissues. J Pharm Sci 1981;70(4):351-4.
18. Peppas NA, Buri PA. Surface, interfacial and molecular aspects of polymer bioadhesion on soft tissues. J Control Release 1985;2:257-75.
19. Chowdary KP, Rao YS. Mucoadhesive microspheres for controlled drug delivery. Biol Pharm Bull 2004;27(11):1717-24.
20. Kavitha K, Pavanveena C, Anil Kumar SN, Tamizh Mani T. Formulation and evaluation of trimetazidine hydrochloride loaded gelatin microspheres. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2010;2(3):67-70.
21. Rajput G, Majmudar F, Patel J, Thakor R, Rajgor NB. Stomach â€“ Specific mucoadhesive microsphere as a controlled drug delivery system. Sys Rev Pharm 2010;1(1):70-8.
22. Lehr CM, Bouwstra JA, Sahacht EH, Junginger HE. In vitro evaluation of mucoadhesive properties of chitosan and some other natural polymers. Int J Pharm 1992;78:43-8.
23. Sonani NG, Hiremath SP, Dasankoppa FS, Jamakandi VG and Sreenivas SA. Design and evaluation of gastroretentive mucoadhesive cephalexin tablets. Pharm Dev Technol 2010;15(2):178-83.
24. Jain SK, Rai G, Saraf DK, Agrawal GP. The preparation and evaluation of albendazole microspheres for colonic delivery. Pharm Technol 2004;2(2):66-71.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.