APPLICATION OF EXTRACTIVE SPECTROPHOTOMETRIC METHODS FOR THE DETERMINATION OF FLUCLOXACILLIN AND TRANDOLAPRIL USING BROMOCRESOL GREEN
Objective: The aim was to develop rapid, simple, sensitive, and accurate visible spectrophotometric methods for the determination of flucloxacillin
Materials and Methods: These methods are based on the formation of ion-pair complex of the flucloxacillin, with bromocresol green in acidic
medium. The colored products are extracted with chloroform and measured spectrophotometrically at 433 nm and 430 nm for flucloxacillin and
Results: Beerâ€™s law was obeyed in the concentration range of 0.5-2.5 mg/ml and 1-5 mg/ml with molar absorptivity of 2.46Ã—102 L/mol/cm and
4.52Ã—102 L/mol/cm and relative standard deviation of 0.28% and 0.32% for flucloxacillin and trandolapril, respectively.
Conclusion: These methods have been successfully applied for the assay of drug in pharmaceutical formulations individually. No interference was
observed from common pharmaceutical adjuvants by adopting the proposed method.
Keywords: Flucloxacillin, Trandolapril, Extractive spectrophotometry, Bromocresol green.
ed. Rahway, New Jersey, U.S.A: Division of Merck and Co., Inc.;
2006. p. 4111.
2. Gujral RS, Haque SM, Shanker P. A sensitive validated
spectrophotometric method for the determination of flucloxacillin
sodium. E J Chem 2009;6 Suppl 1:S397-405.
3. Aly HM, Amin AS. Utilization of ion exchanger and spectrophotometry
for assaying amoxycillin and flucloxacillin in dosage form. Int J Pharm
4. Refat MS, El-Didamony AM. Spectrophotometric and electrical studies
of charge-transfer complexes of sodium flucloxacillin with pi-acceptors.
Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 2006;65(3-4):732-41.
5. Mohamed GG, Nour El-Dien FA, Eman FU. Spectrophotometric
determination of the reaction mechanism between DDQ as ÐŸ receptor
and potassium iodate and flucloxacillin and dicloxacillin drugs and
their determination in pure and dosage forms. Spectrochim Acta A Mol
Biomol Spectrosc 2006;65(1):11-9.
6. El-Dien FA, Mohamed GG, Farag EY. Spectrophotometric
determination of flucloxacillin and dicloxacillin in pure and dosage
forms. Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 2006;64(1):210-5.
7. El-Mammli MY. Spectrophotometric determination of flucloxacillin in
pharmaceutical preparations using some nitrophenols as a complexing
agent. Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 2003;59(4):771-6.
8. Mohamed GG. Spectrophotometric determination of ampicillin,
dicluxacillin, flucloxacillin and amoxicillin antibiotic drugs: Ion-pair
formation with molybdenum and thiocyanate. J Pharm Biomed Anal
9. Zhou Q, Ruan Z, Yuan H, Jiang B, Xu D. RP-HPLC analysis of
flucloxacillin in human plasma: Validation and application to a
bioequivalence study. Pharmazie 2007;62(2):101-4.
10. Shanmugasundaram P, Raj KR, Rangan MJ, Devdass G, Arunadevi M,
Maheswari R, et al. Simultaneous estimation of amoxicillin and
flucloxacillin in its combined capsule dosage forms by HPLC. Rasayan
J Chem 2009;2(1):57-60.
11. Liu H, Wang H, Sunderland VB. An isocratic ion exchange HPLC
method for the simultaneous determination of flucloxacillin and
amoxicillin in a pharmaceutical formulation for injection. J Pharm
Biomed Anal 2005;37(2):395-8.
12. Charles BG, Foo CC, Gath J. Rapid column liquid chromatographic
analysis of flucloxacillin in plasma on a microparticulate pre-column.
J Chromatogr B Biomed Appl 1994;660(1):186-90.
13. Martindale the Extra pharmacopoeia. 36th ed. London, UK: Royal
Pharmaceutical Society; 2009. p. 1416.
14. Gumieniczek A, HopkaÅ‚a H. High-performance liquid chromatographic
assay of trandolapril in capsules. Acta Pol Pharm 2000;57(4):253-5.
15. Cendrowska I, BaÅ„kowski K, Iskra-Jopa J. Astudy on the stereochemical
purity of trandolapril and octahydro-1H-indole-2-carboxylic acid by
HPLC method. Acta Pol Pharm 2003;60(2):141-4.
16. Constantinos P, Maria K, Irene P. Liquid chromatographic tandem mass
spectrometric determination of trandolapril in human plasma. Anal
Chim Acta 2005;540(2):375-82.
17. Nirogi RV, Kandikere VN, Shrivastava W, Mudigonda K.
Quantification of trandolapril and its metabolite trandolaprilat in
human plasma by liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry
using solid-phase extraction. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom
18. Kotaiah RM, Ganesh B, Chandra Sekhar KB, Rasheed SH,
Venkateswarlu Y, Dhandapani B. HPTLC method development and
validation for the estimation of trandolapril in bulk and its formulations.
Asian J Res Chem 2010;3(1):158-60.
19. Kowalczuk D. Simultaneous high-performance thin-layer
chromatography densitometric assay of trandolapril and verapamil in
the combination preparation. J AOAC Int 2005;88(5):1525-9.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.