THE EFFECT OF LUNASIN FROM INDONESIAN SOYBEAN EXTRACT ON INDUCIBLE NITRIC OXIDE SYNTHASE AND Î²-CATENIN EXPRESSION IN DEXTRAN SODIUM SULFATE-INDUCED MICE COLON
Â Objective: Inflammatory bowel diseases are idiopathic inflammatory disorders of the gastrointestinal tract. Chronic inflammation that occurs in the colon can develop into colon cancer. Lunasin has been known to resist inflammatory reactions induced by lipopolysaccharide in vitro. The role of lunasin as anti-inflammatory in vivo is not widely known. In this study, we analyzed the effect of lunasin from Indonesian soybean to decrease the risk of inflammation by analyzing the expressions of inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) and Î²-catenin.
Methods: A total of 30 mice are divided into six groups. Normal group was not induced by dextran sodium sulfate (DSS). The other groups were induced by DSS 2% through drinking water for 9 days. After 9 days, negative group did not receive any treatment, besides the other groups received treatment given lunasin dose 20 mg/kg BB and 40 mg/kg BB, commercial lunasin, and positive given aspirin. Treatment was performed for 5 weeks. Immunohistochemistry scores of iNOS and Î²-catenin proteins were analyzed using statistical tests.
Results: Expression of iNOs decreased significantly (p<0.05) with an average score of 60.134 and 35.473. Expression of Î²-catenin decreased significantly (p<0.05) with an average score of 15.58 and 11.131.
Conclusion: Lunasin dose 20 mg/kg BW and 40 mg/kg BB were able to inhibit inflammation by decreasing the expressions of iNOS, and Î²-catenin.
2. McConnell BB, Yang VW. The role of inflammation in the pathogenesis of colorectal cancer. Curr Colorectal Cancer Rep 2009;5(2):69-74.
3. Loftus EV Jr, Silverstein MD, Sandborn WJ, Tremaine WJ, Harmsen WS, Zinsmeister AR. Ulcerative colitis in Olmsted County, Minnesota, 1940-1993: Incidence, prevalence, and survival. Gut 2000;46(3):336-43.
4. Janakiram NB, Rao CV. The role of inflammation in colon cancer. Inflammation and Cancer. Switzerland: Springer Basel; 2014.
5. Lakatos PL, Lakatos L. Risk for colorectal cancer in ulcerative colitis: Changes, causes and management strategies. World J Gastroenterol 2008;14(25):3937-47.
6. Atreya I, Neurath MF. Immune cells in colorectal cancer: Prognostic relevance and therapeutic strategies. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 2008;8(4):561-72.
7. Askling J, Dickman PW, KarlÃ©n P, BrostrÃ¶m O, Lapidus A, LÃ¶fberg R, et al. Family history as a risk factor for colorectal cancer in inflammatory bowel disease. Gastroenterology 2001;120(6):1356-62.
8. Kusmardi MS, Priosoeryanto BP, Harlina E, Cornain S. Inhibition activities of fish oil in iNOs, COX-2, and Î²-Catenin expressions in colorectal preneoplasia of mice induced by azoxymetane and dextran sodium sulfate. J Appl Biotechnol 2014;2(2):91.
9. Ridnour LA, Thomas DD, Switzer C, Flores-Santana W, Isenberg JS, Ambs S, et al. Molecular mechanisms for discrete nitric oxide levels in cancer. Nitric Oxide 2008;19(2):73-6.
10. Gochman E, Mahajna J, Shenzer P, Dahan A, Blatt A, Elyakim R, et al. The expression of iNOS and nitrotyrosine in colitis and colon cancer in humans. Acta Histochem 2012;114(8):827-35.
11. PerÅ¡e M, Cerar A. Dextran sodium sulphate colitis mouse model: Traps and tricks. J Biomed Biotechnol 2012;2012:718617.
12. Chassaing B, Aitken JD, Malleshappa M, Vijay-Kumar M. Dextran sulfate sodium (DSS)-induced colitis in mice. Curr Protoc Immunol 2014;14:15-25.
13. Dia VP, de Mejia EG. Lunasin potentiates the effect of oxaliplatin preventing outgrowth of colon cancer metastasis, binds to a5b1 integrin and suppresses FAK/ERK/NF-kB signaling. Cancer Lett 2011;313:167-80.
14. HernÃ¡ndez-Ledesma B, Ben O, Hsieh CC. 1997-2012: Fifteen Years of Research on Peptide Lunasin. USA: INTECH Open Access Publisher; 2013.
15. Liu J, Jia SH, Kirberger M, Chen N. Lunasin as a promising health-beneficial peptide. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 2014;18(14):2070-5.
16. HernÃ¡ndez-Ledesma B, Hsieh CC, de Lumen BO. Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of cancer preventive peptide lunasin in RAW 264.7 macrophages. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2009;390(3):803-8.
17. Dia VP, Wang W, Oh VL, De Lumen BO, De Mejia EG. Isolation, purification and characterisation of lunasin from defatted soybean flour and in vitro evaluation of its anti-inflammatory activity. Food Chem 2009;114(1):108-15.
18. de Mejia EG, Dia VP. Lunasin and lunasin-like peptides inhibit inflammation through suppression of NF-kappaB pathway in the macrophage. Peptides 2009;30(12):2388-98.
19. Amalia AW, Kusmardi S, Elya B, Arsianti A. Inhibition of carcinogenesis by seed and soybean meal extract in colon of mice : Apoptosis and dysplasia. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10(4):1-6.
20. Detre S, Jotti GS, Dowsett M. A â€œquickscoreâ€ method for immunohistochemical semiquantitation: Validation for oestrogen receptor in breast carcinomas. J Clin Pathol 1995;48(9):876-8.
21. Pengkumsri N, Suwannalert P, Sivamaruthi BS, Wongpoomchai R, Sirisattha S, Tammasakchai A, et al. Molecular, histological, and anti-oxidant evaluation of colitis induction in rats by different concentration of dextran sodium sulfate (5 kda). Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7(12):283-7.
22. Tanaka T. Development of an inflammation-associated colorectal cancer model and its application for research on carcinogenesis and chemoprevention. Int J Inflam 2012;2012:1-16.
23. Kiesler P, Fuss IJ, Strober W. Experimental models of inflammatory Bowel Diseases. Cell Mol Gastroenterol Hepatol 2015;1(2):154-70.
24. Nugroho AE. Farmakologi: Obat-obat Penting Dalam Pembelajaran Ilmu Farmasi dan Dunia Kesehatan. Yogyakarta: Pustaka Pelajar; 2012.
25. Suzuki R, Kohno H, Sugie S, Nakagama H, Tanaka T. Strain differences in the susceptibility to azoxymethane and dextran sodium sulfate-induced colon carcinogenesis in mice. Carcinogenesis 2006;27(1):162-9.
26. Liu CF, Pan TM. Recombinant expression of bioactive peptide lunasin in Escherichia coli. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 2010;88(1):177-86.
27. Laaboudi W, Ghanam J, Aissam H, Merzouki M, Benlemlih M. Anti-inflammatory and ananlgesic activities of olive tree extract. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8(7):414-9.
28. Serafino A, Moroni N, Zonfrillo M, Andreola F, Mercuri L, Nicotera G, et al. WNT-pathway components as predictive markers useful for diagnosis, prevention and therapy in inflammatory bowel disease and sporadic colorectal cancer. Oncotarget 2014;5(4):978-92.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.