DIFFERENCES OF SALIVA LEPTIN LEVELS IN CHILDREN WITH CHRONIC KIDNEY DISEASE ON HEMODIALYSIS AND HEALTHY CHILDREN (STUDY IN CHILDREN WITH GINGIVITIS)
Â Objectives: Analyze the difference of salivary leptin in between healthy children with gingivitis and hemodialysis (HD) children with gingivitis.
Methods: A total of 20 children, ages 11â€“16-year-old with gingivitis, were chosen as subjects; 10 were on HD and 10 were healthy children. The level of salivary leptin was measured using the enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay method.
Results: The results showed a significant difference of salivary leptin levels between the children on HD (61,300 Â± 4151 pg/ml) and the healthy children (57,200 Â± 3173 pg/ml).
Conclusions: There is a significant difference in the salivary leptin levels in children on HD with gingivitis and healthy children with gingivitis.
2. Alatas HT, Tambunan T, Pardede S. Buku Ajar Nefrologi Anak. 2nd ed. Jakarta: Balai Penerbit FK UI; 2001. p. 490-530.
3. Noer MS, Alatas H, Tambunan T. Kompendium Nefrologi Anak. Jakarta: Balai Penerbit IDAI; 2011. p. 215-25, 232-33, 239-40.
4. Klassen JT, Krasko BM. The dental health status of dialysis patients. J Can Dent Assoc 2002;68:34-8.
5. Abhijit V, Kshirsagar RG, Moss LL, Beck JD, Offenbacher S. Periodontal disease adversely affects the survival of patiens with end-stage renal disease. Kidney Int 2009;75:746-51.
6. Proctor R, Kumar N, Stein A, Moles D, Porter S. Oral and dental aspects of chronic renal failure. J Dent Res 2005;84:199-208.
7. Davidovich E, Schwarz Z, Davidovitch M, Eidelman E, Bimstein E. Oral findings and periodontal status in children, adolescents and young adults suffering from renal failure. J Clin Periodontol 2005;32:1076-82.
8. Buhlin K, BÃ¡rÃ¡ny P, HeimbÃ¼rger O, Stenvinkel P, Gustafsson A. Oral health and pro-inflammatory status in end-stage renal disease patients. Oral Health Prev Dent 2007;5:235-44.
9. Kandalevu S, Somasundaram PC, John B, Rajendran R. Pro-inflammatory cytokines elicit inflammatory response in blood leukocytes of post dialytic chronic renal patients through heme oxygenase activation. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:111-5.
10. Newman MG, Takei H, Klokkevold PR, Carranza FA. Carranzaâ€™s Clinical Periodontology. Los Angeles: Elsevier Health Sciences; 2011.
11. Bimstein HL, Karimbux N, Van Dyke TE. Periodontal and Gingival Health and Disease: Children, Adolescents and Young Adult. 1st ed. London: Martin Dunitz Ltd.; 2001.
12. Vadvadgi VH, Saini R. An evaluation and correlation of leptin in gingival crevicular fluid and serum in health, gingivitis and periodontitis. Int J Exp Dent Sci 2012;2:93-7.
13. Alix PM, Guebre-Egziabher F, Soulage CO. Leptin as an uremic toxin: Deleterious role of leptin in chronic kidney disease. Biochimie 2014;105:12-21.
14. Wauters M, Considine RV, Van Gaal LF. Human leptin: From an adipocyte hormone to an endocrine mediator. Eur J Endocrinol 2000;143:293-311.
15. Margetic S, Gazzola C, Pegg GG, Hill RA. Leptin: A review of its peripheral actions and interactions. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2002;26:1407-33.
16. Ali SH, Al-Nuaimi AM, Al-Musawi BJ. Serum Irisin and leptin levels in obese and non-obese women with polyscystic ovary syndrome with reference to glucose homeostasis. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:276-83.
17. Karthikeyan BV, Pradeep AR. Gingival crevicular fluid and serum leptin: Their relationship to periodontal health and disease. J Clin Periodontol 2007;34:467-72.
18. Mohkam M. Leptin is a negative acute-phase protein in chronic hemodialysis patients. Iran J Kidney Dis 2014;8:263-4.
19. Dashti NE, Nabatchian F. Leptin and interleukin-6 in end-stage renal disease. Pak J Med Sci 2008;24:694-7.
20. Sharma K, Considine RV, Michael B, Dunn SR, Weisberg LS, Kurnik BR, et al. Plasma leptin is partly cleared by the kidney and is elevated in hemodialysis patients. Kidney Int 1997;51:1980-5.
21. Nehus E, Furth S, Warady B, Mitsnefes M. Correlates of leptin in children with chronic kidney disease. J Pediatr 2014;165:825-9.
22. RÃ¼ster C, Wolf G. Adipokines promote chronic kidney disease. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2013;28 Suppl 4:iv8-14.
23. Sastroasmoro SI. Dasar-Dasar Metodologi Penelitian Klinis. 3rd ed. Jakarta: Sagung Seto; 2010. p. 78-109, 47-53.
24. Kidney Disease Statistics for the United States. Available from: http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-Statistics/Documents/KU_Diseases_Stats_508.pdf.
25. Ratna P. Hubungan Kadar Leptin Saliva dan Tingkat Tumbuh Kembang Anak Obesitas. Thesis FKG UI 2012. p. 29.
26. Atzmaryanni E. Perbedaan Kadar Leptin Saliva dan Jumlah Koloni Streptococcus mutans Antara Anak Obesitas dan Anak Normal. Thesis FKG UI; 2014. p. 42.
27. Ardiasti CS. Perbedaan Pembentukan Biofilm Streptococcus mutans in vitro Antara Anak Obesitas dan Anak Normal. Thesis FKG UI; 2014. p. 38.
28. Riejos FP, Najib S, MartÃn-Romero C, PÃ©rez-PÃ©rez A, GonzÃ¡lez-Yanes C, SÃ¡nchez-Margalet V. Role of leptin in activation of immune cells. Mediators of Inflamm 2010;2010:568343.
29. Alpco. Leptin ELISA (Ultrasensitive) for Quantitative Determination of Leptin in Serum, Plasma, Urine, Saliva, and Breast Milk. New Hampshire: Alpco; 2016. p. 2-13.
30. Ay ZY, KÄ±rzÄ±oÄŸlu FY, TonguÃ§ MO, SÃ¼tÃ§Ã¼ R, KapucuoÄŸlu N. The gingiva contains leptin and leptin receptor in health and disease. Odontology 2012;100:222-31.
31. Randeva HS, Karteris E, Lewandowski KC, Sailesh S, Oâ€™Hare P, Hillhouse EW, et al. Circadian rhythmicity of salivary leptin in healthy subjects. Mol Genet Metab 2003;78:229-35.
32. Cohen SD, Phillips TM, Khetpal P, Kimmel PL. Cytokine patterns and survival in haemodialysis patients. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2010;25:1239-43.
33. Randeva HS, Karteris E, Lewandowski KC, Sailesh S, Oâ€™Hare P, Hillhouse EW, et al. Circadian rhythmicity of salivary leptin in healthy subjects. Mol Genet Metab 2003;78:229-35.
34. Akchurin OM, Kaskel F. Update on inflammation in chronic kidney disease. Blood Purif 2015;39:84-92.
35. Scholze A, Tepel M. Role of leptin in reverse epidemiology in chronic kidney disease. Semin Dial 2007;20:534-8.
36. Nasrallah MP, Ziyadeh FN. Overview of the physiology and pathophysiology of leptin with special emphasis on its role in the kidney. Semin Nephrol 2013;33:54-65.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.