IMMUNOMODULATORY EFFECT TEST FROM MORINGA LEAF EXTRACT (MORINGA OLEIFERA L.) WITH CARBON CLEARANCE METHOD IN MALE WHITE MICE
Objective: Moringa oleifera leaf has chemical compounds that have been utilized by the community to cure health problems. One of its activities is an immunomodulator. The aim of this study is to determine the immunomodulatory effect from M. oleifera leaf using a carbon clearance method to measure the activity of phagocytic cells in exterminating pathogens that enter the body then followed by calculating the total leukocyte cells. The parameters of this test are phagocytosis index and total leukocyte cells.
Methods: Twenty white male mice were divided into four groups. Group I (vehicle control) was treated with sodium-carboxymethyl cellulose (NaCMC) 0.5%, Group II-IV were treated by M. oleifera leaf extract given to the mice for six consecutive days orally in doses of 10, 30, 100 mg/kg. On the seventh day, white male mice were given with intravenous carbon suspension through their tails. The value of phagocytosis index (PI > 1) indicated immunostimulant activity. The data were analyzed by using one-way analysis of variance and Duncan test.
Results: The analysis of variance results showed that the groups treated with Moringa leaf extract are significantly different with the vehicle groups (NaCMC 0.5%) (p<0.05). Increased doses of Moringa leaf extract are effective to improve the immunomodulator effect. It was included that Moringa leaf extract had the immunomodulatory capabilities as an immunostimulant.
Conclusion: Immunomodulatory effect test of M. oleifera Lam. Based on the result of the research about immunomodulatory effect test from Moringa leaf extract (Moringa Oleifera L.) with carbon clearance method in male white mice, it can be concluded that Moringa leaf extract (Moringa Oleifera L.) has effect as an Immunomodulator.
2. Baratawidjaja KG. Basic Immunology. Jakarta: Faculty of Medicine, University of Indonesia; 2009.
3. Almahdy A. Experimental Teratology. Padang: University of Andalas Press; 2012.
4. Aldi Y, Ogiana N, Handayani D. Immunomodulant test some subtraction ethyl acetate extract meniran (Phyllanthus niruri L.) on white mice with carbon clearance method. Proceedings of the National Seminar on Recent Developments of Pharmaceutical Science and Clinic III; 2013. p. 134-47.
5. Yusuf D. Immunomodulatory effect test of ethanol extract of mangosteen skin (Garcinia mangostana L.) and Î±-mangostin by carbon clearance method and total cell total leukocyte count [scripts]. Padang: University of Andalas; 2016.
6. Hamidin AS. Complete Natural Immunization Book for Children. Jogjakarta: Publisher Saufa; 2014.
7. Aldi Y, Goddess ON, Uthia R. Immunomodulatory test and, number of leukocyte cells from basil leaf extract (Ocimum basilicum L.) in male white mice. Sci J 2016;6:2087-5045.
8. Subowo. Immunology. Jakarta: CV Sagung Seto; 2009.
9. Mardiana L. Leaf Miraculously Cuts Disease. Jakarta: Self-Helpers; 2013.
10. Kresno SB. Immunology and Laboratory procedures. Jakarta: University of Indonesia; 2001.
11. Zabriskie JB. Essential Clinical Immunology. New York: Cambridge University Press; 2009.
12. Aldi Y, Yahdian R, Handayani D. Immunomodulatory activity of meniran ethanol extract (Phyllanthus niruri Linn.) against broiler chicken. J Pharm Clin Sci 2014;1:20-6.
13. Hansen PJ. Laboratory Procedures Use of Hemacytometer. Florida: University of Florida; 2000.
14. Aldi Y, Purnamasari D, Dillasamola D, Friardi I. Test immunomodulatory effects of ethanol extract skin of purple sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas (L.) lam) with carbon clearance method and the number of leukocytes. Res J Pharm Biol Chem Sci 2016;7:975-8585.
15. Priyanka S, Mukund H. Evaluation of immunomodulatory activity of extract from rind of Nephelium lappaceum fruit. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:38-43.
16. Venkatasthya S, Nagaraja S, Lim LC, Nahlah EI. Phytochemical analysis and immuno-modulatory effect of Moringa oleifera flowers. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:24-8.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.