THE EFFECT OF EXTRACT OF DATE PALM FRUIT (PHOENIX DACTYLIFERA L.) ON FERTILITY IN MALE MICE (MUS MUSCULUS L.)
Objective: Date palm is one of the plants that have used empirically to increase fertility. Ethanol induction can cause sperm damage in male mice. Sperm damage is one of the infertility agents. The aim of this study was to observe and determine anti-infertility effects of the ethanol extract of date palm fruit in khalal stage in male mice compared with propolis.
Methods: A total of 5 groups were assigned to 1 control and 4 experimental groups. Control group was treated by intraperitoneal administration of ethanol only. Meanwhile, experimental groups was treated by intraperitoneal administration of ethanol induction and oral administration of 140, 280, and 560 mg/kg BW of khalal date fruit extract and 1400 mg/kg BW of propolis for 34 days. At 35th day, the mice were deeply anesthetized with anesthetic ether and sacrificed. Laparotomy was performed to collect sperms from epididymis and testes for determining testis weight to analyze the sperm. The data were analyzed using one-way ANOVA and Duncanâ€™s test.
Results: The result of the research showed that there were anti-infertility activity of ethanol extract of date palm fruit in khalal stage (p<0.05) on count, motility of sperm and weight of testes in male white mice toghether with larger doses administration. The optimum activity was accepted by the administration of doses 560 mg/kg BW.
Conclusion: Ethanol extract of khalal date fruit and propolis can increase the quality of sperm pervade sperm count, sperm motility, and weight of testes. Ethanol extract of khalal date fruit can increase sperm quality higher than propolis.
2. Saryono S, Retnani H, Santoso D. Seduhan biji kurma (Phoenix dactylifera) memperkuat membran sel sperma untuk menurunkan kadar malondialdehid. J Ners 2015;10:355-9.
3. Jungwirth A, Aleksander G, Herman T, Thorsten D, Zsolt K, Gert D, et al. European association of urology guidelines on male infertility: The 2012 update. Eur Urol 2012;62:324-32.
4. Lotti F, Corona G, Rastrelli G, Forti G, Jannini EA, Maggi M, et al. Clinical correlates of erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation in men with couple infertility. J Sex Med 2012;9:2698-707.
5. Emanuele MA, Emanuele NA. Alkoholâ€™s effect on male reproduction. Alkohol Res Health 1998;22:195-201.
6. Halliwell B, Whiteman M. Measuring reactive species and oxidative damage in vivo and in cell culture: How should you do it and what do the results mean? Br J Pharm 2004;142:231-55.
7. Percival M. Antioxidant. Clin Nutr Insight 1996;10:1-4.
8. Usoh IF, Akpan EJ, Etim EO, Farombi EO. Antioxidant action of dried flower extract of Hibiscus sabdariffa l on soddium arsenite - Induced oxidative stress in rats. Pak J Nutr 2005;4:135-41.
9. Winarsi H. Antioksidan Alami Dan Radikal Bebas. Yogyakarta: Penerbit Kanisius; 2007.
10. Pujari RR, Neeraj SV, Prasad AT. Protective effects of Phoenix dactylifera againts oxidative stress and neuronal damage induced by global cerebral ischemia in rats. Biomed Aging Pathol 2013;3:75-81.
11. Abdelaziz DH, Ali SA. The protective effect of Phoenix dactylifera L seeds against CCl4-induced hepatotoxicity in rats. J Ethnopharmacol 2014;155:736-43.
12. Cedikova M, Miklikova M, Stachova L. Effect of The Czech propolis on sperm mitochondrial function. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2014;2014:248-768.
13. Ganaraja B, Crystal D, Vijayalakshmi BM, Nayanatara AK, Bhat MR, Ramaswamy C. Use of Vitamin C on effect of ethanol induced lipid peroxidation in various tissue, sperm count, and morphology in the wistar rats. J Chin Clin Med 2008;3:1-3.
14. Russo A, Acquaviva R, Campisi A, Sorrenti V, Di Giacomo C, Virgata G, et al. Bioflavonoids as antiradicals, antioxidants and DNA cleavage protectors. Cell Biol Toxicol 2000;16:91-8.
15. Mohamed NA, Ahmed OM, Hozayen WG, Ahmed MA. Ameliorative effects of bee pollen and date palm pollen on the glycemic state and male sexual dysfunctions in streptozotocin-induced diabetic wistar rats. Biomed Pharmacother 2018;97:9-18.
16. Purwaningsih E. Morfologi spermatozoa: Adakah kaitanya dengan keberhasilan kehamilan. J Kedokteran Yarsi 1996;4:54-63.
17. Sutarni S. Sari Neurotoksikologi. Jakarta: Pustaka Cendekia Press; 2007.
18. David I, Kohnke P, Lagriffoul G, Praud O, PlouarbouÃ© F, Degond P, et al. Mass sperm motility is associated with fertility in sheep. Anim Reprod Sci 2015;161:75-81.
19. Della Togna G, Gratwicke B, Evans M, Augustine L, Chia H, Bronikowski E, et al. Influence of extracellular environment on the motility and structural properties of spermatozoa collected from hormonally stimulated panamanian golden frog (Atelopus zeteki). Theriogenology 2018;108:153-60.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.