ANTIOXIDANT STUDIES OF ONE AYURVEDIC MEDICINE ASWAGANDHARISHTAM
Objective: The present study deals with the antioxidant study of one Ayurvedic medicine Aswagandhrishtam by three different methods, namely reducing power, 2,2-diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH), and 2,2â€™-azino-bis(3-ethylbenzothiazoline-6-sulfonic acid (ABTS) assays.
Methods: Aswagandharishtam, which is a liquid medicine, was taken as such at various concentrations for all the three assays.
Results: The results show that Aswagandharistam has good antioxidant potential when compared with ascorbic acid as standard. The IC50 values of reducing power assay were 250.142, that of DPPH were 103.607, and of ABTS assay were 197.79 as compared with that of ascorbic acid being 19.59.
Conclusion: All the three assays indicated that Aswagandharishtam showed very good antioxidant results.
2. Queen ZE, Rao MR, Anthony J, Prabhu K, Johnson WM, Balasubramanian BS, et al. The GC MS study of one ayurvedic preparation Amrithamehari Churnam. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2016;39:169-72.
3. Jessica A, Rao MR, Anthony J, Prabhu K, Johnson WM, Balasubramanian BS, et al. The GC-MS study of one ayurvedic preparation Katakakhadiradi Kashayam. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2016;39:216-24.
4. Rao MR, Mohammad H, Narayanan S, Prabhu K, Kalaiselvi VS, Ravi A, et al. Antioxidant assay and GC-MS analysis of one Sidha medicine Swasa Kudori tablets. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2016;37:19-25.
5. Sivakumaran G, Rao MR, Prabhu K, Kalaiselvi VS, Jones S, Johnson WM, et al. Preliminary GC-MS anlaysis and antioxidant study of one ayurvedic medicine â€œManasa Mitra Vatakamâ€. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2016;37:190-9.
6. Lenin S, Rao MR, Prabhu K, Bindu R, Elizabeth AA, Dinakar S. The study of antioxidant activities of an Ayurvedic medicine Ayaskriti. Pharm Lett 2016;8:203-11.
7. Sharada NS, Rao MR, Priya M, Prabbu K, Kalaivani KV, Kumaran D, et al. The study of antioxidant activities of an Ayurvedic medicine Kulathadi Kashayam. Pharm Lett 2016;8:245-8.
8. Rao MR, Ravi A, Narayanan S, Prabhu SK, Kalaiselvi VS, Dinakar S, et al. Antioxidant Study and GC MS analysis of an ayurvedic medicine â€˜talisapatradi choornamâ€™. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2016;36:158-66.
9. Rao MR, Phillips S, Kumar MH, Saranya Y, Divya D, Prabhu K. GC MS analysis, antimicrobial, antioxidant activity of an ayurvedic medicine, salmali niryasa. J Chem Pharm Res 2015;7:131-9.
10. Chandrasekar T, Rao MR, Kumar RV, Prabhu K, Kumar SN, Divya D. GC-MS analysis, antimicrobial, antioxidant activity of an ayurvedic medicine, nimbapatradi choornam. J Chem Pharm Res 2015;7:124-36.
11. Phillips S, Rao MR, Prabhu K, Priya M, Kalaivani S, Ravi A, et al. Preliminary GC-MS analysis of an ayurvedic medicine â€œkulathadi kashayam.â€ J Chem Pharm Res 2015;7:393-401.
12. Rao MR, Kumar SN, Jones S, Elizabeth AA, Prabhu K, Ravi A, et al. Phytochemical and GC MS analysis of an ayurvedic formulation, patolakaturohinyadi kwatham. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2015;34:6-12.
13. Ravi A, Mohammad H, Rao MR, Prabhu K, Babu H, Shridhar. Antibacterial, antioxidant activity and GC MS analysis of a sidha medicine â€œneerkovai tabletsâ€. Int Journ Pharm Tech 2015;7:10091-112.
14. Rao MR, Kumar MH, Amutha A, Prabhu K, Chatterjee B, Kumar SS. Phytochemical analysis and antioxidant efficacy of the resin of Bombax ceiba (Salmali). Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2015;30:335-9.
15. Rao MR, Ganesan A, Rengasundari G, Kumar MS, Jha NK. Treatment of peptic ulcer in animal model by Sirucinni Uppu (Herbal salt of Acalypha fruticosa Forssk.). Pharm Lett 2014;6:20-6.
16. Rao MR, Ganesan A, Rengasundari G, Kumar MS, Jha NK. The clinical efficacy of â€˜Kodasuri veeravaippuâ€™ (a sidhha formulation) in patients affected by the disease â€œKeelvayuâ€ (Arthritis). Pharm Lett 2014;6:71-7.
17. Rao MR, Ganesan A, Rengasundari G, Kumar MS. The curative role of Acalypha fruticosa Forrssk. (Sirucinni uppu) salt on peptic ulcer patients. Pharm Lett 2014;6:44-51.
18. Velpandian V, Anbu N, Selangovan S, Musthafa MM. Antihypertensive activity of Ardostachys jatamansi in hypertensive rats following renal gold blatt occlusion method. World J Pharm Res 2014;3:769-77.
19. Parekar RR, Jadhav KS, Marathe PA, Rege NN. Effect of Saraswatarishta in animal models of behavior despair. J Ayurveda Integr Med 2014;5:141-7.
20. Sandhiya S, Kumar MP, Velpandian V, Thenmozhi P, Banumathi V. Standardization of Siddha polyherbal formulation vaeppampoovathy mathirai. Am J Pharm and Health Res 2014;10:129-37.
21. Rao MR, Ganesan A, Rengasundari G, Kumar MS, Jha NK. â€˜Kodasuri veeravaippuâ€™ a sidha preparation, against carrageenan induced paw edema and cotton pellet induced granuloma in albino rats. Pharm Lett 2013;5:99-104.
22. Kumar MS, Rao MR, Ganesan A, Rengasundari G. Antibacterial screening of kodasuri veeravaippu, a siddha salt preparation. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2013;20:140-1.
23. Velpandian V, Kumar MP, Gnanavel IS, Anbu N, Khader AM. Clinical evaluation of kodipavala chunnam in the treatment of Infective hepatitis, drug induced hepatitis and alchoholic hepatitis. Int Res J Pharm 2013;4:152-7.
24. Kanimozhi B, Arumugam K, Velpandian V, Kumar MP. Diuretic activity of siddha formulation ashta gunma triaavagam in rat. Int J Pharm Phytopharm Res 2013;2:340-3.
25. Gupta K, Ashok BK, Ravishankar B, Thakar AB. Anti-anxiety and anti-depressant activities of sarasvata choorna in experimental animals. Ayu 2011;32:590-3.
26. Pandey N, Chaurasia JK, Tiwari OP, Tripathi YB. Antioxidant properties of different fractions of tubers from Pueraria tuberosa Linn. Food Chem 2007;105:19-22.
27. Govindarajan R, Vijayakumar M, Pushpangadan P. Antioxidant approach to disease management and the role of rasayana herbs of ayurveda. J Ethnopharmacol 2005;99:165-78.
28. Balakrishnan BB, Krishnasamy K. Evaluation of free radical screening and antioxidant potential of Moringa concanensis nimmo-a medicinal plant used in Indian traditional medication system. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;10:91-7.
29. Tambewagh UU, Rojatkar SR. In vitro antioxidant and in vivo anti-inflammatory activity of the aerial part of Blumea eriantha DC. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;10:75-9.
30. Bihani GV, Rojatkar SR, Bodhankar SL. Investigation of in vivo analgesic and anti-inflammatory activity in rodents and in vitro anti-oxidant activity of extracts of whole plant of Cyathocline purpurea. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:492-8.
31. Arulpriya P, Lalitha P, Hemalatha S. In vitro antioxidant testing of the extracts of Samanea saman (Jacq.)Merr. Chem Sinica 2010;1:73-9.
32. Oyedemi SO, Afolayan AJ. In vitro and in vivo antioxidant activity of aqueous extracts of Leonotis leonurus. Int J Pharmacol 2011;7:248-56.
33. Fan H, Yang GZ, Zheng T, Mei ZN, Liu XM, Chen Y, et al. Chemical constituents with free-radical-scavenging activities from the stem of Microcos paniculata. Molecules 2010;15:5547-60.
34. Ravi A, Prabhu SP, Rao MR, Prabhu K, Kalaiselvi VS, Saranya Y. Identification of Active Biomolecules in saraswatarishtam (an ayurvedic preparation) by GC-MS analysis. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2015;33:58-62.
35. Ravi A, Gupta M, Rao MR, Kalaiselvi VS, Prabhu K, Dinakar S, et al. GC MS analysis of an ayurvedic medicine â€œashokarishtamâ€. Pharm Lett 2015;7:45-52.
36. Sadhanandham S, Narayanan G, Rao MR, Prabhu K, Jones S, Ravi A, et al. GC-MS analysis and antioxidant studies of an ayurvedic drug, partharishtam. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2015;34:273-81.
37. Uddin Q, Samiulla L, Singh VK, Jamil SS. Phytochemical and pharmacological profile of Withania somnifera Dunal: A review. J Appl Pharm Sci 2012;2:170-5.
38. Tohda C, Kuboyama T, Komatsu K. Search for natural products related to regeneration of the neuronal network. Neurosignals 2005;14:34-45.
39. Ghosal S, Lal J, Srivastava R, Bhattacharya SK, Upadhyay SN, Jaiswal AK, et al. Immunomodulatory and CNS effects of sitoindosides IX and X, two new glycowithanolides from Withania somnifera. Phytother Res 1989;3:201-6.
40. Patil VN, Deokule SS. Pharmacognostic study of Chlorophytum tuberosum Baker. Int J Ayurveda Res 2010;1:237-42.
41. Mariselvam R, Ranjitsingh AJ, Nanthini AU. Preparation and characterization of silver nanoparticles using Rubia cordifolia plant root extract and their microbial properties. Int J Adv Res 2013;1:56-61.
42. Gorle AM, Patil SS. Evaluation of antioxidant and antiacne property of Rubia cordifolia. Pharm Sinica 2013;1:59-63.
43. Lodia S, Kansala L. Antioxidant activity of Rubia cordifolia against lead toxicity. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2012;3:2224-32.
44. Bag A, Bhattacharya SK, Chattopadhyay RR. The development of Terminalia chebula Retz. (Combretaceae) in clinical research. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2013;3:244-52.
45. Sharma K, Bairwa R, Chauhan N, Srivastava B, Saini NK. Berberis aristata: A review. Int J Res Ayurveda Pharm 2011;2:383-8.
46. Damle M. Glycyrrhiza glabra (Liquorice) - A potent medicinal herb. Int J Herb Med 2014;2:132-6.
47. Pandey N, Yadav D, Pandey V, Tripathi YB. Anti-inflammatory effect of Pueraria tuberosa extracts through improvement in activity of red blood cell anti-oxidant enzymes. Ayu 2013;3:297-301.
48. Kumar SV, Sujatha C, Shymala J, Nagasudha B, Mishra SH. Protective effect of root extract of Operculina terpethum Linn. against paracetamol induced hepatotoxicity in rats. Indian J Pharm Sci 2006;68:32-5.
49. Anbuselvam C, Vijayavel K, Balsubramaniyan MP. Protective effect of Operculina turpethum against 7, 12 dimethylbenz (a)anthracene induced oxidative stress with reference to breast cancer in experimental rats. Chem Biol Interact 2007;168:229-36.
50. Chatterjee S, Banerjee A, Chandra I. Hemidesmus indicus: A rich source of herbal medicine. Med Aromat Plants 2014;3:e155.
51. Azamthulla M, Balasubramanian R, Kavimani S. A review on Pterocarpus santalinus linn. World J Pharm Res 2015;4:282-92.
52. Adel PR, Prakash J. Chemical composition and antioxidant properties of ginger root (Zingiber officinalis). J Med Plants Res 2010;4:2674-9.
53. Kumar S, Kamboj J, Suman, Sharma S. Overview for various aspects of the health benefits of Piper longum Linn. fruit. J Acupunct Meridian Stud 2011;4:134-40.
54. Sharma PC, Yelne MB, Dennis TJ. Database on Medicinal Plants Used in Ayurveda. Vol. 5. New Delhi: Central Council for Research in Ayurveda & Siddha; 2002.
55. Preety A, Sharma S. A brief review on Cinnamomum tamala (Buch.- Ham.) Nees and Eberm.: An important medicinal tree. Int J Res Biol Sci 2016;6:26-31.
56. Jayanthi G, Kamalraj S, Karthikeyan K, Muthumary J. Antimicrobial and antioxidant activity of the endophytic fungus Phomopsis sp. GJJM07 isolated from Mesua ferrea. Int J Curr Sci 2011;1:85-90.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.