SYNTHESIS AND INVESTIGATION OF ANTHELMINTIC, ANTIBACTERIAL AND ANTIFUNGAL ACTIVITY OF 3,3-DIPHENYL PROPANAMIDE DERIVATIVES
Objective: A novel series of substituted 3,3-diphenyl propanamide derivatives (I-VIII) were synthesized by reacting 3,3-diphenyl propanoyl chloride with different amines/amino acids, and all the derivatives were investigated for anthelmintic, antibacterial, and antifungal activity.
Methods: All the compounds were characterized by infrared (IR) and1H- nuclear magnetic resonance spectrometry data. The synthesized derivatives were investigated for their anthelmintic activity employing housefly worms method and earthworm species model. The antibacterial and antifungal activity was performed employing cup plate method.
Results: The synthesized compounds (VII and VIII) exhibited maximum anthelmintic activity as compared with standard drug albendazole at doses of 50 and 100 mg/mL, due to minimal paralyzing and death time in both housefly and earthworm models. The compounds (IV, VII, and VIII) at 50 Î¼g/mL exhibited maximum activity against Gram-negative bacterial strains, namely, Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa as compared with ciprofloxacin and same compounds exhibited maximum antifungal activity against Candida albicans and Aspergillus niger in comparison with standard drug griseofulvin at 50 Î¼g/mL.
Conclusion: The synthesized compounds bearing amino acid moiety in their structure (VII-VIII) exhibited impressive anthelmintic activity in comparison with albendazole. This suggests that amino acid/peptide derivative of diphenyl propanamides can act as great anthelmintic agents. Further, the research can be performed to design potent antimicrobial diphenyl propanamide derivatives.
2. Giannakaki V, Miyakis S. Novel antimicrobial agents against multi-drug-resistant gram-positive bacteria: An overview. Recent Pat Antiinfect Drug Discov 2012;7:182-8.
3. Yu D, Huiyuan G. Synthesis and antibacterial activity of linezolid analogues. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 2002;12:857-9.
4. Koca M, Servi S, Kirilmis C, Ahmedzade M, Kazaz C, Ozbek B, et al. Synthesis and antimicrobial activity of some novel derivatives of benzofuran: Part 1. Synthesis and antimicrobial activity of (benzofuran-2-yl)(3-phenyl-3-methylcyclobutyl) ketoxime derivatives. Eur J Med Chem 2005;40:1351-8.
5. Dogruer DS, Onkol T, Ozkan S, Ozgen S, Sahin MF. Synthesis and antimicrobial activity of some 3(2H)-pyridazinone and 1(2H)-phthalazinone derivatives. Turk J Chem 2008;32:469-79.
6. Desai NC, Dodiya A, Shihory N. Synthesis and antimicrobial activity of novel quinazolinone-thiazolidine-quinoline compounds. J Saudi Chem Soc 2013;17:259-69.
7. Prakash CR, Raja S. Synthesis, characterization and in vitro antimicrobial activity of some novel 5-substituted schiff and mannich base of isatin derivatives. J Saudi Chem Soc 2013;17:337-44.
8. Dhall H, Sikka P, Kumar A, Mishra AK. Recent advancements and biological activities of aryl propionic acid derivatives: A review. Orient J Chem 2016;32:1831-8.
9. Landoni MF, Soraci A. Pharmacology of chiral compounds: 2-arylpropionic acid derivative. Curr Drug Metab 2001;2:37-51.
10. Singh SA, Bhat SV. Antimicrobial potential of 3-hydroxy-2-methylene-3-phenylpropionic acid derivatives. Acta Pharm 2011;61:447-55.
11. Yamamoto T, Matsuura K, Shintani S, Hara A, Miyabe Y, Sugiyama T, et al. Dual effects of anti-inflammatory 2-arylpropionic acid derivatives on a major isoform of human liver 3alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase. Biol Pharm Bull 1998;21:1148-53.
12. Chikkula KV, Raja S. Isoxazole-A potent pharmacophore. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:13-24.
13. Murugamani V, Raju L, Raj VB, Kataki MS, Sankar GG. The new method development for evaluation of anthelmintic activity by housefly worms and compared with convenient earth worm method. ISRN Pharmacol 2012;2012:1-6.
14. Garg LC, Atal CK. Anthelmentic activity of Myrsine africana. Indian J Pharm Sci 1963;59:240-5.
15. Chaudhary S, Kumar S, Tarazi H. Peptide derivatives of 1,2-dihydro-3-methyl-2-oxoquinoxaline-6-carboxylic acid: Synthesis and evaluation of antimicrobial, antifungal and antiviral potential. Pharm Chem J 2016;12:281-8.
16. Chaudhary S, Kumar R, Gupta RK. Synthesis and biological activity of peptide derivatives of 2-hydroxy-5-(6-iodo-2-methyl-4-oxoquinazolin-3(4H)-yl) benzoic acid. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2012;5:196-200.
17. Chaudhary S, Kumar S. Synthesis and biological activity of peptide derivatives of 1,2-dihydro-3-methyl-2-oxoquinoxaline-6-carboxylic acid. Pharm Chem 2015;7:210-20.
18. Bhinge SD, Chature V, Sonawane V. Synthesis of some novel 1,3,4-thiadiazole derivatives and biological screening for anti-microbial, antifungal and anthelmintic activity. Pharm Chem J 2015;49:367-72.
19. Bauer AW, Kirby WM, Sherris JC, Turck M. Antibiotic susceptibility testing by a standardized single disk method. Am J Clin Pathol 1966;45:493-6.
20. Manjunatha KS, Satyanarayan ND, Harishkumar S. Antimicrobial and in silico ADMET screening of novel (E)-N-(2-(1H-indol-3-yl-amino)vinyl)-3-(1-methyl-1H-indol-3-yl)-3-phenylpropanamide derivatives. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:251-6.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.