AN ECO-FRIENDLY APPROACH FOR SYNTHESIS OF SILVER NANOPARTICLES USING Ipomoea Pes-Caprae ROOT EXTRACT AND THEIR ANTIMICROBIAL PROPERTIES
objective: Silver nanoparticles (AgNPs) were obtained through green synthesis using Ipomoea pes-caprae root extract for the first time. The active
biomolecules present in the roots of I. pes-caprae, are ergoline alkaloids, indolizidine alkaloids, benzenoids and phenolic compounds act as both the
reduction and stabilization of AgNPs.
Methods: The synthesized nanoparticles were characterized using UV-Visible spectroscopy, Fourier transform infra-red spectroscopy, transmission
electron microscope (TEM).
Results: A peak at 400 nm was obtained in UV-Visible spectroscopy confirmed the formation of AgNPs. TEM microgram confirms that AgNPs were in
the nano range and spherical in nature, the size was observed to be 50 nm.
Conclusion: A higher zone of inhibition was observed in the AgNPs synthesized from the root extract of I. pes-caprae because of the active biomolecules
capped on the AgNPs that has greater efficacy against bacteria.
Keywords: Ipomoea pes-caprae, Silver nanoparticles, Antimicrobial activity.
resources for the synthesis of silver nanoparticles. Afr J Biotechnol
2. Horwat D, Zakharov DI, Endrino JL, Soldera F, Anders A, Migot
S, et al. Chemistry, phase formation, and catalytic activity of thin
palladiumâ€‘containing oxide films synthesized by plasmaâ€‘assisted
physical vapor deposition. Surf Coat Technol 2011;205(2):S171â€‘7.
3. Dillon AC, Mahan AH, Deshpande R, Alleman JL, Blackburn JL,
Parillia PA, et al. Hotâ€‘wire chemical vapor synthesis for a variety
of nanoâ€‘materials with novel applications. Thin Solid Films
4. Sobhani M, Rezaie HR, Naghizadeh R. Solâ€‘gel synthesis of
aluminum titanate (Al2TiO5) nanoâ€‘particles. J Mater Process Technol
5. Nadagouda MN, Speth TF, Varma RS. Microwaveâ€‘assisted green
synthesis of silver nanostructures. Acc Chem Res 2011;44(7):469â€‘78.
6. Wani IA, Ganguly A, Ahmed J, Ahmad T. Silver nanoparticles:
Ultrasonic wave assisted synthesis, optical characterization and surface
area studies. Mater Lett 2011;65(3):520â€‘2.
7. Starowicz M, Stypula B, Banas J. Electrochemical synthesis of silver
nanoparticles. Electrochem Commun 2006;8(2):227â€‘30.
8. Kima KD, Hanb DN, Kim HT. Optimization of experimental
conditions based on the Taguchi robust design for the formation of
nanoâ€‘sized silver particles by chemical reduction method. Chem Eng J
9. Balaji DS, Basavaraja S, Deshpande R, Mahesh DB, Prabhakar BK,
Venkataraman A. Extracellular biosynthesis of functionalized silver
nanoparticles by strains of Cladosporium cladosporioides fungus.
Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 2009;68(1):88â€‘92.
10. Shahverdi AR, Minaeian S, Shahverdi HR, Jamalifar H, Nohi AA.
Rapid synthesis of silver nanoparticles using culture supernatants
of enterobacteria: A novel biological approach. Process Biochem
11. Kumar KP, Paul W, Sharma CP. Green synthesis of gold nanoparticles
with Zingiber officinale extract: Characterization and blood
compatibility. Process Biochem 2011;46(10):2007â€‘13.
12. Dubey SP, Lahtinen M, Sillanpaa M. Tansy fruit mediated greener
synthesis of silver and gold nanoparticles. Process Biochem
13. Sukirtha R, Priyanka KM, Antony JJ, Kamalakkannan S, Thangam R,
Gunasekaran P, et al. Cytotoxic effect of Green synthesized silver
nanoparticles using Melia azedarach against in vitro HeLa cell lines
and lymphoma mice model. Process Biochem 2012;47(2):273â€‘9.
14. Krishnaraj C, Jagan EG, Rajasekar S, Selvakumar P, Kalaichelvan PT,
Mohan N. Synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Acalypha indica leaf
extracts and its antibacterial activity against water borne pathogens.
Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 2010;76(1):50â€‘6.
15. Noginov MA, Zhu G, Bahoura M, Adegoke J, Small C, Ritzo BA,
et al. The effect of gain and absorption on surface plasmon in metal
nanoparticles. Appl Phys B 2006;86(3):455â€‘60.
16. Shrivastava S, Dash D. Applying nanotechnology to human health.
J Nanotechnol 2009;12:240â€‘3.
17. Sathyavathi R, Krishna MB, Rao SV, Saritha R, Rao DN. Biosynthesis
of silver nanoparticles using Coriandrum sativum leaf extract and their
application in nonlinear optics. Adv Sci Lett 2010;3(2):1â€‘6.
18. Shameli K, Ahmad MB, Yunus WM, Ibrahim NA. Synthesis and
characterization of silver/talc nanocomposites using the wet chemical
reduction method. Int J Nanomedicine 2010;5:743â€‘51.
19. Khanna PK, Sing N, Charon S, Subbrarao VV, Gokhole R, Mulik UP.
Synthesis and characterization of Ag/PVA nanocomposite by chemical
reduction method. Mater Chem Phys 2005;93(1):113â€‘7.
20. Mahdieh M, Zolanvari A, Azimee AS, Mahdieh M. Green biosynthesis
of silver nanoparticles by Spirulina platensis. Sci Iran 2012;19(3):926â€‘9.
21. Khalil MH, Ismail EH, Elâ€‘Magdoub F. Biosynthesis of au nanoparticles
using olive leaf extract. Arab J Chem 2012;5(4):431â€‘7.
22. Achary PM Subudhi S, Das CC. Laboratory evaluation of Ipomoea leaf
extract in the control of Culex quinquefasciatus population. Environ
23. Carrick J, Chan KC, Cheung HT. A new phytoâ€‘chemical survey of
Malaya chemical screening. Chem Pharm Bull 1968;16:2436â€‘41.
24. De Souza MM, Madeira A, Berti C, Krogh R, Yunes RA. Antinociceptive
receptive properties of the methanolic extract obtained from Ipomoea
pesâ€‘caprae (L.) R. Brit. J Ethanopharmcol (Ireland) 2000;69(1):85â€‘90.
25. Krishanan R, Maru GB. Isolation and analyses of polymeric polyphenols
fractions from black tea. Food Chem 2006;94(3):331â€‘40.
26. Satyavani K, Gurudeeban S, Ramanathan T, Balasubramanian T.
Impomoea pes-caprae mediated silver nanoparticles and their
antibacterial effect. Sci Int 2013;1(5):155â€‘9.
27. Kalainila P, Subha V, Ernest Ravindran RS, Enganathan S. Synthesis
and characterisation of silver nanoparticles from Erythrina indica.
Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2014b;7 Suppl 2:39â€‘43.
28. Saranyaadevi K, Subha V, Ernest Ravindran RS, Renganathan S.
Synthesis and characterisation of copper nanoparticle using Capparis
zeylanica leaf extract. Int J Chem Tech Res 2014b;6(10):4533â€‘41.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.