ANALYTICAL METHOD DEVELOPMENT BY SOLID PHASE EXTRACTION AND HIGH-PERFORMANCE LIQUID CHROMATOGRAPHY FOR DIPHENHYDRAMINE QUANTIFICATION IN SYRUPS
Objective: To develop a method for the determination of diphenhydramine hydrochloride in syrups.
Methods: The developed method is based on the active ingredient recovery from the pharmaceutical formulation using a cartridge for selective solid phase extraction. This procedure is simple and fast as compared to the methods that require liquid/liquid extraction. Once the sample is eluted from the cartridge, it is injected directly into a reversed-phase chromatographic system containing a mixture of acetonitrile: 10 mmol ammonium acetate: triethylamine 60:39.5:0.5.
Results: The proposed method fulfilled the validation parameters (linearity R2>0.99, precision CV<2% and accuracy 98-102%).
Conclusion: The proposed method proved to be reliable when it was applied in the quantification of diphenhydramine hydrochloride of two commercial syrup products.
2. Gennaro AR. Remington Farmacia. 19Âª Ed. Buenos Aires; Ed. MÃ©dica Panamericana; 1999. p. 1860â€’1.
3. Gomez MR, Olsina RA, MartÃnez LD, Silva MF. Simultaneous determination of dextromethorphan, diphenhydramine and phenylephrine in expectorant and decongestant syrups by capillary electrophoresis. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2002;30:791â€’9.
4. Marchesini AF, Willner MR, Mantovani VE, Robles JC, Goicoechea HC. Simultaneous determinations of naphazoline, diphenhydramine and phenylephrine in nasal solutions by capillary electrophoresis. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2003;31:39â€’46.
5. Ã‡aglar H, BÃ¼yÃ¼ktuncel E. HPLC method development and validation: simultaneous determination of active ingredients in a cough and cold pharmaceuticals. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:421â€’8.
6. Moffat AC, Osselton MD, Widdop B. Clarkeâ€™s analysis of drugs and poisons in pharmaceuticals body fluids and postmortem material 4th Ed. London; Pharmaceutical Press; 2011. p. 1273.
7. Farmacopea de los Estados Unidos Mexicanos. 11a Ed. Mexico DF. SecretarÃa de Salud; 2014. p. 1775â€’6.
8. El-Didamony AM, Moustafa MA. Spectrophotometric determination of diphenhydramine hydrochloride in pharmaceutical preparations and biological fluids via ion-pair formation. Arab J Chem 2010;3:265â€’70.
9. Tripparat P, Lapanantnoppakhun S, Jakmunee J, Grudpan K. Determination of diphenhydramine hydrochloride in some single tertiary alkylamine pharmaceutical preparations by flow injection spectrophotometry. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2002;30:105â€’12.
10. Ulu ST, Elmali FT. Spectrophotometric method for the determination, validation, spectroscopic and thermal analysis of diphenhydramine in a pharmaceutical preparation. Spectrochim Acta Part A 2010;77:324â€’9.
11. El-Didamony AM, Hafeez SM. Extractive spectrophotometric determination of some antihistaminic drugs from pharmaceutical formulations using rose bengal. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:152â€’7.
12. Huck CW, Bonn GK. Recent developments in polymers-based sorbents for solid-phase extraction. J Chromatogr A 2000;885:51â€’72.
13. Leon-Gonzalez ME, Perez-Arribas LV. Chemically modified polymeric sorbents for sample preconcentration. J Chromatogr A 2000;902:3 â€’16.
14. ICH Harmonised Tripartite Guidelines. Validation of Analytical Procedures: Text and Methodology Q2 (R1). International Conference on Harmonization; 2005. Available from: http://www.ich.org/fileadmin/Public_Web_Site/ICH_Products/Guidelines/Quality/Q2_R1/Step4/Q2_R1__Guideline.pdf. [Last accessed on 05 Jul 2017]
15. Calabuig-Hernandez S, Garcia-Alvarez-Coque MC, Ruiz-Angel MJ. Performance of amine as silanol suppressors in reversed-phase liquid chromatography. J Chromatogr A 2016;1465:98â€’106.
16. El-Didamony AM, Hafeez SM, Saad AA. Extraction-spectrophotometric determination of some antihypertensive drugs in pharmaceutical and biological fluids using two sulphonphthalein dyes. Int J Appl Pharm 2015;7:10â€’7.