ERADICATION EFFECT OF JAVANESE TURMERIC (CURCUMA XANTHORRHIZA. ROXB.) EXTRACT ON THE EARLY PHASE OF CANDIDA ALBICANS BIOFILM
Objectives: To analyze the effect of Javanese turmeric extract on eradicating the initial phase of C. albicans biofilm formation.
Methods: AÂ 100 Âµl of C. albicans suspension 10âˆ’4 was cultured on a 96Â -Â well plate, incubated for 1.5 and 3 h at 37Â° C and then aspirated and washed by phosphate buffer saline before exposure to 100 Âµl of 5%, 10%, 15%, 20% 25%, 30%, and 35% Javanese turmeric extract for 24 h. The positive control was 100 Âµl of nystatin 100,000Â IU.
Results: The eradication effect of 35% Javanese turmeric extract at the two stages of initial phase biofilm was comparable with those of nystatin. The viability of C. albicans exposed to the extract at an advanced stage of the early phase of biofilm formation tended to be higher than that at the early stage, but the difference was not significant.
Conclusion: The in vitro antifungal effect of Javanese turmeric extract against C. albicans could be effective in eradicating yeast in the early phase of biofilm formation.
2. Pusateri CR, Monaco EA, Edgerton M. Sensitivity of Candida albicans biofilm cells grown on denture acrylic to antifungal proteins and chlorhexidine. Arch Oral Biol 2009;54:588-94.
3. Marsh P, Martin M. Oral Microbiology. 4th ed. Great Britain: MPG Book; 1999.
4. Karlsson AJ. 14-Helical Î²-peptides with Antifungal Activity against Candida albicans Planktonic Cells and Biofilms. Madison: University of Wisconsin; 2009.
5. Henriques M, Azeredo J, Oliveira R. Candida albicans and Candida dubliniensis: Comparison of biofilm formation in terms of biomass and activity. Br J Biomed Sci 2006;63:5-11.
6. Becherelli M, Tao J, Ryder NS. Involvement of heat shock proteins in Candida albicans biofilm formation. J Mol Microbiol Biotechnol 2013;23:396-400.
7. Raman N, Lee MR, Lynn DM, Palecek SP. Antifungal activity of 14-helical ÃŸ-peptides against planktonic cells and biofilms of candida species. Pharmaceuticals (Basel)2015;8:483-503.
8. Murciano C, Moyes DL, Runglall M, Tobouti P, Islam A, Hoyer LL, et al. Evaluation of the role of Candida albicans agglutinin-like sequence (Als) proteins in human oral epithelial cell interactions. PLoS One 2012;7:e33362.
9. Nett JE. Beta-1,3 Glucan in Candida albicans Biofilm Infection: Drug Resistance and Diagnosis, Dissertation: University of Wisconsin; 2009.
10. Mahmoudabadi A, Drucker D. Effect of amphotericin B, nystatin and miconazole on the polar lipids of Candida albicans and Candida dubliniensis. Indian J Pharmacol 2006;38:423-6.
11. Coutinho A, Silva L, Fedorov A, Prieto M. Cholesterol and ergosterol influence nystatin surface aggregation: Relation to pore formation. Biophys J 2004;87:3264-76.
12. Afifah E. Javanese Turmeric: Efficacy and Benefit of Javanese Turmeric Root, the Healing Agent against Various Diseases, Pesona Depok. Indonesian: Khasiat dan Manfaat Temulawak: Rimpang Penyembuh Aneka Penyakit; 2013.
13. Nugraha AS, Keller PA. Revealing indigenous Indonesian traditional medicine: Anti-infective agents. Nat Prod Commun 2011;6:1953-66.
14. Hwang JK, Shim JS, Pyun YR. Antibacterial activity of xanthorrhizol from Curcuma xanthorrhiza against oral pathogens. Fitoterapia 2000;71:321-3.
15. Sudewo B. Popular Medicinal Herbal Against Various Diseases (Indonesian: Tanaman Obat Popular Penggempur Aneka Penyakit). Jakarta: Agromedia Pustaka; 2004. p. 8-9.
16. Mangunwardoyo W, Deasy W, Usia T. Antimicrobial and identification of active compound Curcuma xanthorrhiza Roxb. Int J Basic Appl Sci 2012;12:69-78.
17. Rukayadi Y, Yong D, Hwang JK. In vitro anticandidal activity of xanthorrhizol isolated from Curcuma xanthorrhiza Roxb. J Antimicrob Chemother 2006;57:1231-4.
18. Karkowska-Kuleta J, Rapala-Kozik M, Kozik A. Fungi pathogenic to humans: Molecular bases of virulence of Candida albicans, Cryptococcus neoformans and Aspergillus fumigatus. Acta Biochim Pol 2009;56:211-24.
19. Rukayadi Y, Hwang JK. In vitro activity of xanthorrhizol isolated from the rhizome of Javanese turmeric (Curcuma xanthorrhiza Roxb.) against Candida albicans biofilms. Phytother Res 2013;27:1061-6.
20. Gleiznys A, Zdanaviciene E, Å½ilinskas J. Candida albicans importance to denture wearers. A literature review. Stomatologija 2015;17:54-66.