POST-CUREâ€™S EFFECT ON THE DEPTH OF CURE OF A SHORT FIBER-REINFORCED RESIN COMPOSITE
Objective: This study aimed to identify post-cureâ€™s effect on the depth of cure (DOC) of a short fiber-reinforced resin composite (SFRC).
Methods: Six EverX PosteriorTM shade A3Â specimens were cured with a light-emitting diode light curing unit with 800Â mW/cm2 of light irradiation for 20 s. The specimens were divided into two groups. The first was measured immediately post-cure and the second was measured 24-h post-cure. They were measured with a Vickers microhardness profile test. An independent t-test was used to analyze the significance of the differences between the DOC value and different variables.
Results: The DOC of the specimens measured immediately post-cure was 3.02Â±0.02Â mm. The DOC of the specimens measured 24-h post-cure was 3.93Â±0.03Â mm.
Conclusion: The DOC of the specimens measured 24-h post-cure was significantly higher than the DOC of the specimens measured immediately post-cure. Post-cure polymerization (24-h post-cure) can increase the DOC values of an SFRC.
2. Garoushi S, Vallittu PK, Lassila LV. Use of short fiber-reinforced composite with semi-interpenetrating polymer network matrix in fixed partial dentures. J Dent 2007;35:403-8.
3. Garoushi S, Tanner J, Vallittu P, Lassila L. Preliminary clinical evaluation of short fiber-reinforced composite resin in posterior teeth: 12-months report. Open Dent J 2012;6:41-5.
4. Garoushi S, SÃ¤ilynoja E, Vallittu PK, Lassila L. Physical properties and depth of cure of a new short fiber reinforced composite. Dent Mater 2013;29:835-41.
5. Albers HF. Tooth-colored Restoratives: Principles and Techniques. 9th ed. British Columbia: Decker Inc.; 2002.
6. Leprince J, Lamblin G, Truffier-Boutry D, Demoustier-Champagne S, Devaux J, Mestdagh M, et al. Kinetic study of free radicals trapped in dental resins stored in different environments. Acta Biomater 2009;5:2518-24.
7. Alrahlah A, Silikas N, Watts DC. Post-cure depth of cure of bulk fill dental resin-composites. Dent Mater 2014;30:149-54.
8. GC Europe. Ever X Posterior FAQ. Belgium: GC Europe; 2013. Available from: http://www.dibateb.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/FAQ-everx-posterior.pdf 16. [Last accessed on 2016 May 30â€Š].
9. Moore BK, Platt JA, Borges G, Chu TM, Katsilieri I. Depth of cure of dental resin composites: ISO 4049 depth and microhardness of types of materials and shades. Oper Dent 2008;33:408-12.
10. KrÃ¤mer N, Lohbauer U, GarcÃa-Godoy F, Frankenberger R. Light curing of resin-based composites in the LED era. Am J Dent 2008;21:135-42.
11. Leung RL, Fan PL, Johnston WM. Post-irradiation polymerization of visible light-activated composite resin. J Dent Res 1983;62:363-5.
12. DeWald JP, Ferracane JL. A comparison of four modes of evaluating depth of cure of light-activated composites. J Dent Res 1987;66:727-30.
13. Flury S, Hayoz S, Peutzfeldt A, HÃ¼sler J, Lussi A. Depth of cure of resin composites: Is the ISO 4049 method suitable for bulk fill materials? Dent Mater 2012;28:521-8.
14. Mohammad D, Young RJ, Mann AB, Watts DC. Post-polymerization of dental resin composite evaluated with nanoindentation and micro-raman spectroscopy. Arch Orofac Sci 2007;2:26-31.
15. Par M, Gamulin O, Marovic D, Klaric E, Tarle Z. Effect of temperature on post-cure polymerization of bulk-fill composites. J Dent 2014;42:1255-60.
16. Cunha LG, Alonso RC, Pfeifer CS, de GÃ³es MF, Ferracane JL, Sinhoreti MA, et al. Effect of irradiance and light source on contraction stress, degree of conversion and push-out bond strength of composite restoratives. Am J Dent 2009;22:165-70.