LIGHT-CURING DISTANCE AND RESIN THICKNESS EFFECTS ON THE SHORTFIBERâ€“REINFORCED RESIN COMPOSITESâ€™ DEPTH OF CURE
Objective: This study evaluated the light-curing distance and resin thickness effects on the depth of cure of short fiberâ€“reinforced resin composites (SFRCs).
Methods: Fifteen SFRC specimens with a diameter of 6Â mm and thickness of 4Â mm were divided into groups (n=5) with light-curing distances of 0, 2, and 4Â mm. Another 15Â specimens with a diameter of 6Â mm and thicknesses of 3, 4, and 5Â mm (n=5) were subjected to a 0-mm light-curing distance. Microhardness tests were conducted using a Vickers hardness tester (load: 200Â g; dwell time: 15 s), and the depth of cure was assessed by calculating the hardness ratio of the bottom to the top surface (%). Statistical tests included one-way analysis of variance (ANOVA) followed by post hoc Fisherâ€™s LSD tests.
Results: The depths of cure with 0-, 2-, and 4-mm light-curing distances were 79.0Â±0.7%, 77.0Â±0.6%, and 75.0Â±0.8%, while those with thicknesses of 3, 4, and 5Â mm were 81.0Â±1.0%, 78.2Â±1.0%, and 34.4Â±2.0%, respectively. Significant differences (p<0.05) in the depth of cure were found in all groups.Conclusion: A depth of cure >80% was only attained with a 3-mm resin thickness and 0-mm light-curing distance.
2. Cramer NB, Stansbury JW, Bowman CN. Recent advances and developments in composite dental restorative materials. J Dent Res 2011;90:402-16.
3. Nayar S, Ganesh R, Santhosh S. Fiber reinforced composites in prosthodontics-A systematic review. J Pharm Bioallied Sci 2015;7 Suppl 1:S220-2.
4. Gupta A, Yelluri RK, Munshi AK. Fiber-reinforced composite resin bridge: A treatment option in children. Int J Clin Pediatr Dent 2015;8:62-5.
5. Subramaniam P, Babu G, Sunny R. Glass fiber-reinforced composite resin as a space maintainer: A clinical study. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 2008;26 Suppl 3:S98-103.
6. Sigla R, Grover R. Stabilizing periodontallycompromized teeth with polyethylene fibre splint: A Case Report. Int J Clin Prev Dent 2015;11:125-8.
7. Garoushi S, SÃ¤ilynoja E, Vallittu PK, Lassila L. Physical properties and depth of cure of a new short fiber reinforced composite. Dent Mater 2013;29:835-41.
8. GC Asia Corporation. EverX posterior. Japan: GC Asia Corporation; 2016. Available from: http://www.sea.gcasiadental.com/index.php. [Last accessed on 2016 May 30].
9. Garoushi S, Vallittu PK, Lassila LV. Short glass fiber reinforced restorative composite resin with semi-interpenetrating polymer network matrix. Dent Mater 2007;23:1356-62.â€¨
10. Anusavice KJ. Phillipsâ€™ Science of Dental Materials. 11th ed. St Louis: Elsevier science; 2003.
11. Sakaguchi RL, Powers JM. Craigâ€™s Restorative Dental Materials. 13th ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier/Mosby; 2012.
12. Albers HF. Resin polymerization. In: Tooth-Colored Restoratives: Principles and Techniques. 9th ed. London: BC Decker Inc; 2002.
13. Flury S, Hayoz S, Peutzfeldt A, HÃ¼sler J, Lussi A. Depth of cure of resin composites: Is the ISO 4049 method suitable for bulk fill materials? Dent Mater 2012;28:521-8.
14. Ferracane JL. Materials in Dentistry: Principle and Applications. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott William & Wilkins; 2001.
15. ThomÃ© T, Steagall W Jr, Tachibana A, Braga SR, Turbino ML. Influence of the distance of the curing light source and composite shade on hardness of two composites. J Appl Oral Sci 2007;15:486-91.
16. Tsujimoto A, Barkmeier WW, Takamizawa T, Latta MA, Miyazaki M. Mechanical properties, volumetric shrinkage and depth of cure of short fiber-reinforced resin composite. Dent Mater J 2016;35:418-24.
17. Moharam LM, El-Hoshy AZ, Abou-Elenein K. The effect of different insertion techniques on the depth of cure and vickers surface micro-hardness of two bulk-fill resin composite materials. J Clin Exp Dent 2017;9:e266-71.
18. Moore BK, Platt JA, Borges G, Chu TM, Katsilieri I. Depth of cure of dental resin composites: ISO 4049 depth and microhardness of types of materials and shades. Oper Dent 2008;33:408-12.
19. Nagi SM, Moharam LM, Zaazou MH. Effect of resin thickness, and curing time on the micro-hardness of bulk-fill resin composites. J Clin Exp Dent 2015;7:e600-4.
20. Erdemir U, Yildiz E, Eren MM, Ozel S. Surface hardness evaluation of different composite resin materials: Influence of sports and energy drinks immersion after a short-term period. J Appl Oral Sci 2013;21:124-31.
21. Malik AH, Baban LM. The effect of light curing tip distance on the curing depth of bulk fill resin based composites. J Baghdad Coll Dent 2014;26:46-53.
22. Poggio C, Lombardini M, Gaviati S, Chiesa M. Evaluation of Vickers hardness and depth of cure of six composite resins photo-activated with different polymerization modes. J Conserv Dent 2012;15:237-41.
23. Prati C, Chersoni S, Montebugnoli L, Montanari G. Effect of air, dentin and resin-based composite thickness on light intensity reduction. Am J Dent 1999;12:231-4.
24. Zhu S, Platt JA. Curing efficiency of three different curing lights at different distance for hybrid composite. Am J Dent 2009;22:381-6.
25. Dâ€™Souza NL. Characterization of Novel Proprietary Posterior Composite Materials. Dissertation: University of Toronto; 2000.
26. Mansour K, Sada A, Sinan H. Curing depth of bulk-fill composites: An in-vitro study. Pak Oral Dent J 2015;35:270-4.
27. Alshaafi MM. Factors affecting polymerization of resin-based composites: A literature review. Saudi Dent J 2017;29:45-58.