PREPARATION AND EVALUATION OF SIMVASTATIN TRANSDERMAL FILM
Objective: The objective of the study was to prepare simvastatin transdermal films for the treatment of atherosclerosis and to evaluate the effect of concentration of polymer on penetration enhancement.
Methods: Solvent evaporation technique was employed for the preparation of films and the prepared films were evaluated for various physicochemical properties of films such as tensile strength, thickness, surface pH, swellability, drug content, moisture content and folding endurance. In vitro drug, release study and release kinetics were also studied.
Results: Tensile strength ranged from 3.56Â±0.343 to 4.56Â±0.12 (N/mmÂ²). The films were of uniform weight. Thickness varied from 0.2Â±0.3 mm to 0.2Â±0.8 mm. Surface pH ranged from 6.6Â±0.14 to 6.9Â±0.16. Percentage swellability ranged from12.1Â±0.36 to 16.3Â±0.22. Percentage drug content ranged from 88.4Â±0.7% to 90.5Â±0.6% in all the formulation. Percentage moisture content ranged from 0.864 to 1.03%. Moisture uptake was from 2.6Â±0.24 to 2.9Â±0.072. The folding endurance test gave satisfactory results and F3 formulation showed maximum drug release.
Conclusion: From the study, it was concluded that out of various formulations, the F3 formulation was found to be the optimum formulation with 88% drug release at the fourteenth hour.
Keywords: Simvastatin, Transdermal film, Solvent evaporation, Penetration enhancer, Swellability
2. Hardainiyan S, Kumar K, Nandy BC, Saxena R. Design, formulation and in vitro drug release from transdermal patches containing imipramine hydrochloride as a model drug. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:220-5.
3. Manjunath PN, Satish CS, Vasanti S, Preetham AC, Naidu Ras. Formulation and evaluation of simvastatin gastro retentive drug delivery system. Int J Appl Pharm 2017;9:55-60.
4. Surender V, Vipul M. Formulation, evaluation and optimization of transdermal patches of losartan potassium. World J Pharm Sci 2016;4:277-84.
5. Evane B, Singh S, Mishra A, Pathak AK. Formulation and evaluation of transdermal drug delivery system of simvastatin. J Pharm Res 2012;5:810-3.
6. Shelke S, Kairnar A, Vivek R, Yogesh K, Ashish J. Review on antihyperlipidemic lipophilic drugs and their novel formulation approaches. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:1-8.
7. Bhaskar V, Prakash RND. Development, characterisation, and evaluation of simvastatin solid lipid nanoparticles loaded the transdermal patch. J Chem Pharm Sci 2016;9:702-8.
8. Naseera K, Sajeeth CI, Santhi K. Formulation, optimization and evaluation of matrix type of transdermal system of simvastatin using permeation enhancers. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2012;4:79-87.
9. Kurmi R, Mishra DK, Jain DK. Solid dispersion: a novel means of solubility enhancement. J Crit Rev 2016;3:1-8.
10. Zidan AS, Hosny KM, Ahmed OA, Fahmy UA. Assessment of simvastatin niosomes for pediatric transdermal drug delivery. Drug Delivery 2016;23:1536-49.
11. Patel RP, Patel G, Baria A. Formulation and evaluation of transdermal patch of aceclofenac. Int J Drug Delivery 2009;1:41-51.
12. Jadhav RT, Kasture PV, Gattani SG, Surana SJ. Formulation and evaluation of transdermal films of diclofenac sodium. Int J Chem Tech Res 2010;2:354-60.
13. Can AS, Erdal MS, Gungor S, Ozsoy Y. Optimization and characterization of chitosan films for transdermal delivery of ondansetron. Molecules 2013;18:5455-71.
14. Kumar J, Lakshmana P, Gopal P. TDDS: an overview. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2010;3:49-54.
15. Nayak B, Ellaiah P, Pattanayak D, Das S. Formulation design preparation and in vitro characterization of nebivolol transdermal patches. Asian J Pharm 2011;5:175-82.
16. Kadam AS, Ratnaparkhi MP, Chaudhary SP. Transdermal drug delivery: an overview. Int J Res Dev Pharm Life Sci 2014;3:1042-53.
17. Tanwar H, Sachdeva R. Transdermal drug delivery system: a review. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;7:2274-90.
18. Sudam KR, Suresh BR. A comprehensive review on: transdermal drug delivery systems. Int J Biomed Adv Res 2016;7:147-59.
19. Mali AD, R Bathe, Manoj KP. An updated review on transdermal drug delivery systems. Int J Adv Sci Res 2015;1:244-54.
20. Humama F, Shalini S. Development and evaluation of the transdermal therapeutic system of an antihypertensive drug. Int Res J Pharm 2015;6:213-8.
21. Bharkatiya M, Nema RK, Bhatnagar M. Development and characterization of transdermal patches of metoprolol tartrate. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2010;3:130-4.
22. Ravi G, Vishal Gupta N. Development and evaluation of transdermal film containing solid lipid nanoparticles of rivastigmine tartrate. Int J Appl Pharm 2017;9:85-90.
23. Kusumdevi V, Asha AN, Agadi SS, Mathew D. Optimization of transdermal delivery of selected antihyperlipidaemic agents-statin. J Drug Delivery Res 2013;2:1-23.
24. S Parmar, Rakesh M, SV Shirolkar. Spherical agglomeration a novel approach for solubility and dissolution enhancement of simvastatin. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:65-72.
25. Pethe AM, Salunkhe SP, Premchandani TA. Formulation and evaluation of mucoadhesive buccal tablet of simvastatin. Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2014;5:268-78.
26. Bhawana S, Rupa M. Comparative evaluation of selected polymers and plasticizer on transdermal drug delivery system. Int J Appl Pharm 2018;10:67-73.
27. Prajapati ST, Patel CG, Patel CN. Formulation and evaluation of transdermal patch of repaglinide. ISRN Pharm 2011:1-9. Doi:10.5402/2011/651909
28. PS Das, P Saha. Design and characterisation of transdermal patches of phenforminhydrochloride. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2017;9:90-3.
29. Darwhekar G, Jain DK, Patidar VK. Formulation and evaluation of transdermal drug delivery system of clopidogrel bisulfate. Asian J Pharm Life Sci 2011;1:269-78.