FORMULATION AND EVALUATION OF SOLID SELF MICRO EMULSIFYING DISPERSIBLE TABLET OF PIROXICAM
Objective: The aim of this study was to formulate the solid self-micro emulsifying dispersible tablets for promoting the dissolution of Piroxicam.
Methods: Solubility study test was performed to know the solubility of various oil phase, surfactants, cosurfactants. Self-emulsifying grading test was done by visual grading system. Ternary phase diagrams and droplet size analysis test were performed to screen and optimize the Piroxicam-self microemulsifying drug delivery system (SMEDS). Then microcrystalline cellulose (KG802) was added as a suitable adsorbent and dispersible tablet were prepared by wet granulation compression method.
Results: The final composition of Piroxicam-SMEDS was oil phase (oleic acid, 23%), surfactant (Cremophor R H-40,61%), co-surfactant (PEG-400,16%) based on the result of solubility test, self-emulsifying grading test, droplet size analysis and ternary phase diagrams. Microcrystalline cellulose (KG802) was selected based on dissolution study (98.35%) and added to liquid Piroxicam-Smeds formulation to form dispersible tablets. The in vitro dissolution study showed 98.02 % of drug release from Piroxicam-SMEDS tablets.
Conclusion: Piroxicam–Self microemulsifying dispersible tablets have increased the solubility and bioavailability of the Piroxicam to a greater extent. SMEDS formulation can help the solubility of poorly water-soluble drugs.
2. Bennadi D. Self-medication: a current challenge. J Basic Clin Pharm 2013;5:19-23.
3. Obitte NC, Rohan LC, Adeyeye CM, Parniak MA, Esimone CO. The utility of self-emulsifying oil formulation to improve the poor solubility of the anti HIV drug CSIC. AIDS Res Ther 2013;10:14.
4. Yang M, Gong W, Wang Y, Shan L, Li Y, Gao C. Bioavailability improvement strategies for poorly water-soluble drugs based on the supersaturation mechanism: an update. J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;19:208-25.
5. Lipinski CA, Lombardo F, Dominy BW, Feeney PJ. Experimental and computational approaches to estimate solubility and permeability in drug discovery and development settings. Adv Drug Delivery Rev 1997;23:3-25.
6. Pouton CW. Formulation of poorly water-soluble drugs for oral administration. physicochemical and physiological issues and the lipid formulation classification system. Euro J Pharm Sci 2006;1:278-87.
7. Chaudhary VB, Patel JK. Cyclodextrin inclusion complex to enhance the solubility of poorly water-soluble drugs: a rev. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2013;4:68.
8. Sridhar I, Doshi A, Joshi B, Wankhede V, Doshi J. Solid dispersions: an approach to enhance solubility of poorly water soluble drug. J Sci Inno Res 2013;2:685-94.
9. Krishna KB, Prabhakar C. A review on nanosuspensions in drug delivery. Int J Pharma Bio Sci 2011;2:549-8.
10. DV Gowda, G Parthasarathi, HG Shivakumar. Comparative bioavailability of two marketed piroxicam formulations in healthy human volunteers. Ind Drugs 2003;40:573-6.
11. Singh SK, Verma PR, Razdan B. Development and characterization of a lovastatin-loaded self-microemulsifying drug delivery system. Pharm Dev Tech 2010;15:469-83.
12. Hong JY, Kim JK, Song YK, Park JS, Kim CK. A new self-emulsifying formulation of itraconazole with improved dissolution and oral absorption. J Controlled Release 2006;110:332-8.
13. Gohel MC, Nagori SA. Fabrication and evaluation of hydrogel thickened microemulsion of ibuprofen for topical delivery. Ind J Pharm Educ Res 2010;44:189-96.
14. Kuentz M. Lipid-based formulations for oral delivery of lipophilic drugs. Drug Dis Today: Tech 2012;9:97-104.
15. Li S, Madan P, Lin S. Effect of ionization of drug on drug solubilization in SMEDS prepared using capmul MCM and caprylic acid. Asian J Pharm Sci 2017;12:73-82.
16. Nazzal S, Smalyukh II, Lavrentovich OD, Khan MA. Preparation and in vitro characterization of a eutectic-based semisolid self-nano emulsified drug delivery system (SNEDDS) of ubiquinone: mechanism and progress of emulsion formation. Intern J Pharm 2002;235:247-65.
17. Wang YP, Gan Y, Zhang XX. Novel gastroretentive sustained-release tablet of tacrolimus based on self-microemulsifying mixture: in vitro evaluation and in vivo bioavailability test. Acta Pharmacol Sin 2011;32:1294.
18. Gupta S, Kesarla R, Omri A. Formulation strategies to improve the bioavailability of poorly absorbed drugs with special emphasis on self-emulsifying systems. ISRN Pharm 2013;26:20-3.
19. DV Gowda, Mohammed S Khan, Afifa Bathool. Formulation and characterization of piroxicam floating microspheres for prolonged gastric retention. Der Pharm Lett 2010;2:217–22.
20. Singh B, Bandopadhyay S, Kapil R, Singh R, Katare OP. Self-emulsifying drug delivery systems (SEDDS): formulation development, characterization, and applications. Critical Rev Thera Drug Carrier Sys 2009;26:5.
21. Bahl D, Bogner RH. Amorphization of indomethacin by co-grinding with Neusilin US2:amorphization kinetics, physical stability and mechanism. Pharm Res 2006;23:2317-25.
22. Suresh S, Gunasekaran S, Srinivasan S. Vibrational spectra (FT-IR, FT-Raman), frontier molecular orbital, first hyperpolarizability, NBO analysis and thermodynamics properties of piroxicam by HF and DFT methods. Spect Acta Part A: Mole Biomol Spec 2015;138:447-59.
23. Dhage MA, Chhabra GS, Banerjee SK. Development and validation of UV-spectrophotometric method for PX in bulk and pharmaceutical formulation. J Chem Pharm Res 2011;3:765-9.
24. Kallakunta VR, Bandari S, Jukanti R, Veerareddy PR. Oral self-emulsifying powder of lercanidipine hydrochloride: formulation and evaluation. Pow Tech 2012;221:375-82.
25. Date AA, Nagarsenker MS. Design and evaluation of self-nano emulsifying drug delivery systems (SNEDDS) for cefpodoxime proxetil. Int J Pharm 2007;329:166-72.
26. Czajkowska Kosnik A, Szekalska M, Amelian A, Szymanska E, Winnicka K. Development and evaluation of liquid and solid self-emulsifying drug delivery systems for atorvastatin. Molecules 2015;20:21010-22.
27. Kumar RS. Ghosh, design, optimisation and evaluation of piroxicam fast dissolving tablets employing starch tartrate-a new superdisintegrant. Int J Appl Pharm 2019;11:89-97.
28. Bachhav AA, Ahire SA, Jadhav AG. Preformulation study of piroxicam. Inter J Pharm Sci Res 2019;10:811-8.
29. Nazzal S, Smalyukh I, Lavrentovich OD, Khan MA. Preparation and in-vitro characterization of aeutectic based semisolid self-nanoemulsified drug delivery system (SNEDDS) of ubiquinone: mechanism and progress of emulsion formation. Int J Pharm 2002;235:247-65.
30. Swenson ES, Milisen WB, Curatolo W. Ntestinal permeability enhancement: efficacy, acute local toxicity and reversibility. Pharm Res 1994;11:1132-42.
31. Zeng L, Xin X, Zhang Y. Development and characterization of promising cremophor EL-stabilized o/w nanoemulsions containing short-chain alcohols as a cosurfactant. RSC Advances 2017;7:19815-27.
32. Sahoo SK, Suresh P, Acharya U. Design and development of self-microemulsifying drug delivery systems (smedds) of telmisartan for enhancement of in vitro dissolution and oral bioavailability in rabbit. Int J Appl Pharm 2018;10:117-26.
33. Nasr A, Gardouh A, Ghonaim H. Abdelghany and Ghorab, Effect of oils, surfactants and cosurfactants on phase behavior and physicochemical properties of self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery system (snedds) for irbesartan and olmesartan. Int J Appl Pharm 2016;8:13-24.
34. Son HY, Chae BR, Choi JY, Shin DJ, Goo YT, Lee ES, et al. Optimization of self-microemulsifying drug delivery system for phospholipid complex of telmisartan using D-optimal mixture design. PloS one 2018;13:1254.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.