RECENT UPDATE ON ORAL FILMS: A BENCH TO MARKET POTENTIAL
Oral films are gaining a lot of attention as a substitute approach to the conventional dosage form. Over the past few years, many of the pharmaceutical scientists throughout the world are focusing their research on oral films, trying to see the sights of oral films as a novel drug delivery system. The oral films are convenient to swallow for geriatric and pediatric patients, are self-administrable, used for systemic and local action and rapid release of a drug, which makes it an excellent system of drug delivery. This review article mainly discusses the manufacturing aspects of films and their characterization, applications and the constraints in the development of oral films along with highlights of market potential.
2. Siddiqui MN, Garg G, Sharma PK. A short review on a novel approach in oral fast dissolving drug delivery system and their patents. Adv Biol Res 2011;5:291-303.
3. Patil SL, Mahaparale PL, Tiwari S, Pavour KV, Sane PN. Fast dissolving oral films: an innovative drug delivery system. Int J Res Rev Pharm Appl Sci 2012;2:482-96.
4. Patel D, Patel M, Upadhyay P, Shah N, Shah S. A review on mouth dissolving film. J Pharm Sci Biosci Res 2015;5:266-73.
5. Radhakisan UR, Chavan V, Tribhuvan N. Mouth dissolving film and their patent: an overview. Asian J Biomed Pharm Sci 2012;3:39-42.
6. Mandeep K, Rana AC, Nimrata S. Fast dissolving films: an innovative drug delivery system. Int J Pharm Res Allid Sci 2013;2:14-24.
7. Rathborne N, Hadgraft J, Roberts M. Oral thin films, in orally disintegrating tablet and film technologies. Technol Catalyst Int Corporation 2006;4:18-31.
8. Khatoon N, Rao NR, Reddy BM. Overview on fast dissolving oral films. Int J Chem Pharm Sci 2013;1:63-75.
9. Patil P, Shrivastava S. Fast dissolving oral films: an innovative drug delivery system. Int J Sci Res 2014;3:2088-93.
10. Hariharan, Madhu, Bogue, B Arlie. Orally dissolving film strips (ODFS): the final evolution of orally dissolving dosage forms. drug delivery technology, Montville. New Jersey 2009;9:24â€“9.
11. Aggarwal J, Singh G, Saini S, Rana AC. Fast dissolving films: a novel approach to oral drug delivery. Int Res J Pharm 2011;2:69-71.
12. Mahajan A, Chabra N, Aggarwal G. Formulation and characterization of fast dissolving buccal films: a review. Pharm Lett 2011;3:152â€“65.
13. Prakruti M, Gangurde AB, Pranali V. Oral film technology: challenges and future scope for the pharmaceutical industry. Int J Pharmacogn Phytochem Res 2015;3:183-203.
14. Panda BP, Dey NS, Rao ME. Development of innovative orally fast disintegrating film dosage forms: a review. Int J Pharm Sci Nanotech 2012;5:1666-74.
15. Rathi V, Senthil V, Kammili L, Hans R. A Brief review on oral film technology. Int J Res Ayurveda Pharm 2011;2:1138-47.
16. RP Dixit, SP Puthil. Oral strip technology: overview and future potential. J Controlled Release 2009;139:94-107.
17. Nagar P, Chauhan I, Yasir M. Insights into polymers: film formers in mouth dissolving films. Drug Invention Today 2011;3:280-9.
18. Dey P, Gosh A. Wafers: an innovative advancement of oro-dispersible films. Int J Appl Pharm 2016;8:1-7.
19. Reza KH, Chakraborthy P. Recent industrial development in oral thin film technology: an overview. Pharma Tutor 2016;4:17-22.
20. Sloboda M, Bharnatt S. Formulation flexibility broadens the scope for oral thin film technology. Adhesives Res 2011;5:22-4.
21. Sharma D, Kaur D, Verma S, Singh D, Singh M, Singh G, et al. Fast dissolving oral films technology: a recent trend for an innovative oral drug delivery system. Int J Drug Delivery 2015;7:60-75.
22. Heer D, Aggarwal G, Hari Kumar SI. Recent trends of fast dissolving drug delivery system-an overview of formulation technology. Pharmacophore 2013;4:1-9.
23. Keshari ADr, Sharma P, Parveez N. Fast dissolving oral films: a novel and innovative drug delivery system. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2014;5:92-5.
24. Arya A, Chandra A, Sharma V, Pathak K. Fast dissolving oral films: an innovative drug delivery system and dosage form. Int J Chem Tech Res 2010;2:576-83.
25. Liang CA, Chen HL. Fast dissolving intraoral drug delivery systems. Expert Opin Ther Patents 2001;11:981-6.
26. Parmar D, Patel U. Orally fast dissolving film as dominant dosage for quick releases. Int J Pharm Res Biosci 2012;1:24-41.
27. Karki S, Kim H, Na SJ, Shin D, Jo K, Lee J. Thin films as an emerging platform for drug delivery. Asian J Pharm Sci 2016;11:559-74.
28. Joshua J, Hari R, Jyothish F, Surendran S. Fast dissolving oral thin films: an emerging dosage form for quick release. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2016;38:282-9.
29. Bhyan B, Jangra S, Kaur M, Singh H. Orally fast dissolving films: innovations in formulation and technology. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2011;9:9-15.
30. Pandya K, Patel K, Patel M, Patel N. Fast dissolving films: a novel approach to oral drug delivery. Asian J Pharm Sci 2013;3:25-31.
31. www.researchandmarkets.com/research/ckvqw7/oral%20thin%20film. [Last accessed on 20 Jun 2018]
32. www.transparencymarketsearch.com/thin-film-drug-manufacturing-market. [Last accessed on 20 Jun 2018]
33. Thakur N, Bansal M, Sharma N, Yadav G, Khare P. Overview a novel approach of fast dissolving films and their patents. Advan Biol Res 2013;7:50-8.