SYNTHESIS AND CHARACTERIZATION OF HYDROXYPROPYL CELLULOSE-CYSTEAMINE CONJUGATE AS A NOVEL CATIONIC THIOMER WITH LIPOPHILIC PROPERTIES
Objective: Thiomers have been known as polymer with mucoadhesive properties. The aim of this study was to synthesize the mucoadhesive potential of hydroxypropyl cellulose-cysteamine conjugate (HPC-cysteamine).
Methods: The parent polymer HPC was chemically modified by introducing sulphydryl bearing compound using reductive amination. HPC-cysteamine conjugates were prepared at reaction pH value of 5. The reaction was stabilized by the addition of cyanoborohydride. Afterwards, the conjugate was evaluated for optimum free thiol group, swelling behavior, viscosity and mucoadhesive properties.
Results: The conjugates showed maximum thiol incorporation on HPC of 1063.03Â±64.27 Âµmol/g. The disulphide groups content was 278.71Â±32.14 Î¼mol/g. Mucoadhesion studies revealed that mucoadhesion of HPC-cysteamine demonstrated 26 h. The swelling behaviour of HPC-cysteamine tablets increased within the time period of study. The viscosity of HPC-cysteamine was higher than that of unmodified HPC. The thermal profile of HPC-cysteamine and unmodified HPC analyzed by differential scanning calorimetry (DSC) displayed a different enthalpy (Î”H) value.
Conclusion: HPC-cysteamine conjugate renders better properties which might be more beneficial for drug delivery system compared to unmodified HPC.Â
2. Rao MRT, Gaikwad SR, Shevate PM. Synthesis and characterization of a novel mucoadhesive derivative of psyllium seed polysaccharide. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:166-75.
3. Colombo P, Sonvico F, Colombo G, Bettini R. Novel platforms for oral drug delivery. Pharm Res 2009;26:601-11.
4. Roy S, Prabhakar B. Bioadhesive polymeric platforms for transmucosal drug delivery systemsâ€“a review. Trop J Pharm Res 2010;9:91-104.
5. Roy DS, Rohera BD. Comparative evaluation of rate of hydration and matrix erosion of HEC and HPC and study of drug release from their matrices. Eur J Pharm Sci 2002;16:193-9.
6. Rahmat D, Sakloetsakun D, Shahnaz G, Perera G, Kaindl R, Bernkop-SchnÃ¼rch A. Design and synthesis a novel cationic thiomer. Int J Pharm 2011;411:10-7.
7. Rahmat D, Muller C, Barthelmes J, Shahnaz G, Martien R, Bernkop-SchnÃ¼rch A. Thiolated hydroxyethyl cellulose: design and in vitro evaluation of mucoadhesive and permeation enhancing nanoparticles. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2013;83:149-55.
8. Trivedi MK, Nayak G, Patil S, Tallapragada RM, Mishra R. Influence of biofield treatment on physicochemical properties of hydroxyethyl cellulose and hydroxypropyl cellulose. J Mol Pharm Org Process Res 2015;3:1-7.
9. Hombach J, Palmberger TF, Bernkop Schnurch A. Development and in vitro evaluation of a mucoadhesive vaginal delivery system for nystatin. J Pharm Sci 2009;98:555-64.
10. Bernkop Schnurch A, Hornof M, Zoidl T. Thiolated polymer-thiomers: synthesis and in vitro evaluation of chitosan-2-iminothiolane conjugates. Int J Pharm 2003;260:229-37.
11. Kast CE, Bernkop Schnurch A. Thiolated polymersâ€“thiomers: development and in vitro evaluation of chitosan-thioglycolic acids conjugates. Biomaterials 2001;22:2345-52.
12. Kar K, Pal RN, Bala NN. Preparation, characterisation and evaluation of ropinirole hydrochloride loaded controlled release microspheres using solvent evaporation technique. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;10:57-67.
13. Sussich F, Cesaro A. The kinetics of periodate oxidation of carbohydrates: a calorimetric approach. Carbohydr Res 2000;329:87-95.
14. Le-Tien C, Millette M, Lacroix M. Modified alginate matrice for the immobilization of bioactive agents. Biotechnol Appl Biochem 2004;38:98-107.
15. Tadanier J, Hallas R, Martin JR, Stanaszek RS. Observation relevant to the mechanism of the reductive aminations of ketones with sodium cyanoborohydride and ammonium acetate. Tetrahedron 1981;37:1309-16.
16. Koranyi TI, Moreau F, Rozanov VV, Rozanova EA. Identification of SH groups in zeolite-supported HDS catalysts by FTIR spectroscopy. J Mol Struct 1997;410:103-10.
17. Bernkop Schnurch A. Thiomers: a new generation of mucoadhesive polymers. Adv Drug Delivery Rev 2005;57:1569-82.
18. Muddukrishna BS, Dengale SJ, Shenoy GG, Bhat K. Preparation, solid state characterisation of paclitaxel and naringen cocrystals with improved solubility. Int J Appl Pharm 2016;6:32-7.