THE EFFECT OF AMORPHOPHALLUS MUELLERI BLUME AND MORINGA OLEIFERA L LEAVES ON BODY WEIGHT, FEED INTAKE, AND HEPATIC HISTOPATHOLOGY IN MICE
Objective: This study aims to determine the effect of Amorphophallus muelleri Blume and Moringa oleifera L leaf on body weight, food intake, and hepatic histopathology in mice.
Methods: The mice were divided into five groups according to their diet, which includes porang, wheat, porang-moringa, wheat-moringa, and control diet. Each group consists of 5 males and 5 females, which were fed for 28 d, and then analyzed for their body weight, total food intake, alanine aminotransferase (ALT) as well as aspartate aminotransferase (AST) levels in plasma, and hepatic histopathology.
Results: The result showed that the group of porang and porang-moringa has lower body weight and feed intake, which is significantly different compared to the others. Furthermore, an increase was observed on plasma AST/ALT activities in 30% porang and 20% porang-moringa group. Also, one of the mice of porang group has inflammatory cell infiltration (++) on histopathology results.
Conclusion: It was therefore concluded that feeding containing porang causes low food consumption. Furthermore, weight loss increases AST/ALT and leukocyte infiltration even though a mouse consistently deteriorates.
2. Yameogo CW, Bengaly MD, Savadogo A, Nikiema PA, Traore SA. Determination of chemical composition and nutritional values of Moringa oleifera leaves. Pakistan J Nutr 2011;10:264–8.
3. Wigoeno YA, Azrianingsih R, Roosdiana A. Analisis kadar glukomanan pada umbi porang (Amorphophallus muelleri Blume) menggunakan refluks kondensor. Biotropika J Trop Biol 2013;1:231–5.
4. Laksmitawati DR, Prilasari SA, Marwati U. Nilai indeks glikemik dan indeks Transit usus tepung porang (Amorphophallus muelleri Blume.) pada mencit putih. J Farm Indones 2019;2:14-9.
5. Laksmitawati DR, Fatimah S, Jannah RF, Sumiyati Y, Marwati U. Activity of porang flour and moringa extract to blood glucose and lipid levels in alloxan induced diabetic mice. J Pharm Sci Res 2018:10:231–9.
6. Chairiyah N, Harijati N, Mastuti R. Variation of calcium oxalate (CaOx) crystals in porang (Amorphophallus muelleri Blume). Am J Plant Sci 2013;4:1765-9.
7. Bpom RI. Pedoman uji toksisitas nonklinik secara in vivo. Jakarta: BPOM RI; 2014.
8. Wang S, Copelan L. Effect of acid hydrolysis on starch structure and functionality: a review. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 2015;55:1081–97.
9. Susanti N. Suplementasi tepung porang (Amorphophallus muelleri Blume) sebagai nutraceutical dalam manajemen diabetes mellitus tipe 2. El-Hayah 2014;5:9–16.
10. Messier V, Karelis AD, Robillard ME, Bellefeuille P, Brochu M, Lavoie JM, et al. Metabolically healthy but obese individuals: relationship with hepatic enzymes. Metabolism 2010;59:20-4.
11. Björnsson ES. Hepatotoxicity by drugs: the most common implicated agents. Int J Mol Sci 2016;17:1-7.
12. Gotama KT, Soetikno V, Louisa M, Arozal W. Hepatoprotective effects of l-citrulline against doxorubicin-induced liver damage in rats: an analysis of serum biomarkers. Int J Appl Pharm 2019;11:230-3.
13. Fasinu P, Bouic PJ, Rosenkranz B. Liver-based in vitro technologies for drug biotransformation studies-a review. Curr Drug Metab 2012;13:215–24.
14. Bodakhe SH, Gupta SK. Diagnostic methods for non-alcoholic fatty liver diseases alternative to liver biopsy: a review. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2015;8:54-9.
15. Suwardi AB, Indriaty, Navia ZI. Nutritional evaluation of some wild edible tuberous plants as an alternative foods. Innovare J Food Sci 2018;6:9-12.
16. Hidayati S, Sulistyawati R, Nurani LH. Regulation of ethyl acetate fraction from moringa oleifera leaves to improve lipid metabolism and insulin sensitivity in type 2 diabetes. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;10:78-82.
17. Swati, Kaur Virk A, Kumari C, Ali A, Garg P, Thakur P, et al. Moringa oleifera-a never die tree: an overview. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:57-65.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.