SKINCARE CREAM PREPARATION AND EVALUATION OF PARE (MOMORDICA CHARANTIA) LEAVES USING THREE DIFFERENCE BASE
Objective: The purpose of this research is to make a skincare cream that contains bioactive from Momordica charantia leaves (MCL) using three kinds of base cream.
Methods: The dried MCL made into powder shape and then extracted using 96% ethanol solvent. The liquid extract was evaporated using a vacuum evaporator until obtained by the viscous extract. The Momordica charantia leaves ethanol extract (MEE) with a concentration of 4.00% made into a cosmetic product used vanishing, cold, and hand and body cream as a base. Creams made by mixing the oil phase and water phase at 70 °C until cream mass formed, then added MEE at 40 °C. All the product creams were evaluated their physical and chemical characteristics and stability tested.
Results: Cream of Momordica charantia leaf ethanol extract had semisolid form, yellowish color, the peculiar smell of Momordica charantia ethanol extract, homogeneous, pH 6.37-6.67, easily spread with spreading ability 2,081.21-2,835.43 mm2, has viscosity 125,000-18,0000 cps and stable 3 mo in a room and 60 °C temperature storage.
Conclusion: Momordica charantia leaves can be made become a good cream for skincare cosmetics that more beneficial and profitable than as waste. This skincare creams using vanishing base cream, cold cream, and hand and body cream as base creams.
2. Kasali FM, Deyno S, Mtewa A, Nagendrappa PB, Tolo CU, Ogwang PE, et al., Momordica charantia L. lowers elevated glycaemia in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients: systematic review and meta-analysis. J Ethnopharmacol 2018;231:311-24.
3. Gupta M, Sharma S, Gautam AK, Bhadauria R. Momordica charantia linn. (Karela): Nature’s silent healer. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2011;11:32-7.
4. Iswandana R, Widiya EN. Effect of variations of beta vulgaris extracts on masking the bitter taste of Momordica charantia extract syrup. Int J Appl Pharm 2018;10(Special Issue 1):159-64.
5. Jia S, Shen M, Zhang F, Xie J. Recent advances in Momordica charantia: functional components and biological activities. Int J Mol Sci 2017;18:2555.
6. Perez, Jose Luis, GK Jayaprakasha, Bhimanagouda S Patil. Metabolite profiling and in vitro biological activities of two commercial bitter melon (Momordica charantia Linn.) cultivars. Food Chem 2019;288:178-86.
7. Kumar, KP Sampath, Debjit Bhowmik. Traditional medicinal uses and therapeutic benefits of momordica charantia linn. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2010;4:23-8.
8. Toncic RJ, Kezic S, Hadzavdic SL, Marinovic B. Skin barrier and dry skin in the mature patient. Clin Dermatol 2017;36:109-15.
9. McCook JP. Topical products for the aging face. Clin Plast Surg 2016:43:597–604.
10. Mohiuddin AK. Skincare creams: formulation and use. Dermatol Clin Res 2019;5:238-71.
11. Mujoriya RZ, Dhamande K, Bodla RB. Niosomal drug delivery system-a review. Int J Appl Pharm 2011;3:7-10.
12. Rai P, Poudyl AP, Das S. Pharmaceutical creams and their use in wound healing: a review. J Drug Delivery Ther 2019;9:907-12.
13. Ashara KC. Importance of titration technique on preparation and evaluation of cold cream. Inventi Rapid: Pharm Tech 2016;1:635.
14. P Herh, J Tkachuk, S Wu, M Bernzen, B Rudolph. Rheology of pharmaceutical and cosmetic semisolids. Am Lab 1998;30:12–4.
15. HS Ali, NA Shehab, E ahaj, B Mohamed. Formulation and evaluation of herbal cream from Ziziphus spina leaves extract. Int Res J Pharm 2013;4:44–8.
16. D Shofinita, TAG Langrish. Spray drying of orange peel extracts: yield, total phenolic content, and economic evaluation. J Food Eng 2014;139:31–42.
17. Daniel P, Supe U, Roymon MG. A review on phytochemical analysis of Momordica charantia. Int J Adv Pharm Biol Chem 2014;3:214-20.
18. Agarwal M, Sarin R. Screening of antimicrobial potential of flavonoids extracted from Erythrina indica. Int J Pharm Res Rev 2014;3:21-7.
19. NN Navindgikar, KA Kamalapurkar, PS Chavan. Formulation and evaluation of multipurpose herbal cream. Int J Curr Pharm Sci 2020;12:25-30.
20. V Mahawar, K Patidar, N Joshi. Development and evaluation of herbal antiaging cream formulation containing Annona squamosa leaf extract. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2019;12:210-4.
21. IA Dakhil, IS Abbas, NK Marie. Preparation, evaluation, and clinical application of safflower cream as topical nutritive agent. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018:11:495-7.
22. K Szewczyk. Phytochemistry of the genus impatiens (Balsaminaceae): a review. Biochem Syst Ecol 2018;80:94–121.
23. AS Dhase, SS Khadbadi, SS Saboo. Formulation and evaluation of vanishing herbal cream of crude drugs. A J Ethno 2014;1:313–8.
24. Kwak MS, Ahn HJ, Song KW. Rheological investigation of body cream and body lotion in actual application conditions. Korea Australia Rhe J 2015;27:241-51.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.