CYCLEA BARBATA LEAF EXTRACT: LIPOXYGENASE INHIBITORY ACTIVITY AND PHYTOCHEMICAL SCREENING
Objective: The aim of this study was to test the anti-inflammatory activity of methanol, ethyl acetate, and n-hexane Cyclea barbata Mier. leaf extracts
using a lipoxygenase inhibition method.
Methods: Enzyme activity assay was performed using colorimetric method with lipoxygenase from soybean and linoleic acid as a substrate.
Absorbance was measured at 234 nm. The total flavonoid content of the most active extract was determined using a colorimetric method with AlCl3
and phytochemical screening.
Results: The ethyl acetate extract had the highest lipoxygenase inhibiting activity, with an IC50 value of 0.267 mg/mL. In addition, this extract had a
total flavonoid content of 21.62 mgQE/g and contained flavonoids, glycosides, and terpenoids.
Conclusion: This finding indicated that C. barbata provides a possible anti-inflammatory effect through the inhibition of lipoxygenase. However,
further research is still needed to strengthen this result.
Pathology Textbook. Jakarta: Book Medical Publishers EGC; 2007.
2. Murray R, Granner D, Rodwell V. Biochemistry Harper. 27th ed. Jakarta:
EGC Book Medical Publishers; 2006.
4. Agric R. Benefits cincau cincau and manufacturing base in region Koto
Baru. ??? 2016;1:84-7.
5. Kusmardiyani S, Insanu M, Asyhar M. Effect of glycosidic flavonols
isolated from green grass jelly (Cyclea barbata Miers) leaves. Procedia
6. Farida YG. Toxicity test leaf extract and fraction in cincau black
(dazzling B. palustris) and cincau leaf green (Cyclea barbata L. Miers).
J Bahan Alam Indones 2012;2:1-6.
7. Kumar S, Pandey AK. Chemistry and biological activities of flavonoids:
An overview. ScientificWorldJournal 2013;2013:162750.
8. Deschamps JD, Kenyon VA, Holman TR. Baicalein is a potent in vitro
inhibitor against both reticulocyte 15-human and platelet 12-human
lipoxygenases. Bioorg Med Chem 2006;14:4295-301.
9. Choironi NA. Activity Inhibition of Lipoxygenase (LOX) by Tribe
Zingiberaceae Plant Extracts and Isolation of Selected Plant Secondary
Metabolites. Thesis of Pharmacy. Bandung Institute of Technology:
10. Bhaigyabati T, Devi P, Bag G. Assessment of total flavonoids content
and antioxidant activity of aqueous extract of rhizome three Hedychium
of Averrhoa carambola L. leaves extract. Int J Chem Tech Res
12. Prakash H, Shailasree S, Sampath-Kumara K, Niranjana S. In vitro
antioxidant activity, lipoxygenase, cyclooxygenase-2 inhibition and
DNA protection properties of Memecylon species. Int J Pharm Pharm
13. Daughter N, Elya B, Puspitasari N. Antioxidant activity and
lipoxygenase inhibition test with total flavonoids content from Garcinia
kydia Roxburgh leaves extract. Pharmacog J 2017;9:280-4.
14. Puri D. Textbook of Medical Biochemistry. 3rd ed. India: Elsevier; 2011.
15. Bisswanger H. Enzyme assays. Perspect Sci 2014;1:41-55.
16. Kumazawa S, Suzuki S, Ahn M, Kamihira M, Udagawa Y, Bang K,
et al. A new chalcone from propolis collected on Jeju Island, Korea.
Food Sci Technol Res 2006;12:67-9.
17. Chedea VS, Jisaka M. Inhibition of soybean lipoxygenases-structural
and activity models for the lipoxygenase isoenzymes family. In: Recent
Trends for Enhancing the Diversity and Quality of Soybean Products.
Rijeka, Croatia: InTech; 2011. p. 113-5.
18. Paguigan N, Chichioco-Hernandez C. 15-Lipoxygenase inhibition of
selected Philippine medicinal plants. PHCOG J 2014;6:43-6.
19. Sauriasari R, Azizah N, Basah K. Tyrosinase inhibition, 2,2-diphenyl-
1-picrylhydrazyl radical scavenging activity, and phytochemical
screening of fractions and ethanol extract from leaves and stem bark of
matoa (Pometia pinnata). Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:85-9.
20. Elya B, Puspitasari N, Sudarmin AC. antioxidant activity and inhibition
of lipoxygenase activity ethanol extract of endosperm Arenga pinnata
(wurmb) Merr. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:76-80.
21. Avelia S, Mauldina MG, Elya B. Antioxidant activity and lipoxygenase
inhibitory assay with total flavonoid content of Garcinia lateriflora
Blume leaves extract. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:163-5.