EFFECT OF NANOCURCUMIN ON CISPLATIN-INDUCED ACUTE KIDNEY INJURY: A FOCUS ON NRF2 AND KEAP1
Objective: This study aimed to investigate the effect of nanocurcumin (NC) against cisplatin-induced acute kidney injury, focusing on Nrf2 and Keap1.
Methods: Male Sprague-Dawley rats (n=23) were divided into five groups (Control, CP, CP+Cur, CP+50 NC, and CP+100 NC) and sacrificed 7 days after
treatment. Whole kidneys were collected for reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) analysis of Nrf2 and Keap1.
Results: There were no statistically significant differences in the RT-PCR results among the groups (p>0.05). However, Keap1 expression was
upregulated in rats treated with 100 mg of NC, which may have been caused by increased Nrf2 activation and activation of a negative feedback loop,
which upregulated transcription of Keap1.
Conclusion: NC increased Keap1 levels, but not significantly.
protection in cisplatin nephrotoxicity. Arch Toxicol 2014;88:1249-56.
2. Walker RJ, Endre ZH. Cellular mechanism of drug nephrotoxicity. In:
Alpern RJ, Moe OR, Caplan MJ, editors. Seldin and Giebischâ€™s the
Kidney. 5th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. p. 2889-932.
3. Karasawa T, Steyger PS. An integrated view of cisplatin-induced
nephrotoxicity and ototoxicity. Toxicol Lett 2015;237:219-27.
4. Indhumathi P, Shanmuga PE. Incidence and management of treatmentrelated
side effect for patients receiving platinum therapy in an
outpatient oncology clinic. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:117-20.
5. Liu M, Grigoryev DN, Crow MT, Haas M, Yamamoto M, Reddy SP,
et al. Transcription factor nrf2 is protective during ischemic and
nephrotoxic acute kidney injury in mice. Kidney Int 2009;76:277-85.
6. Ma Q. Role of nrf2 in oxidative stress and toxicity. Ann Rev Pharm
7. Soetikno V, Sari FR, Lakshmanan AP, Arumugam S, Harima M,
Suzuki K, et al. Curcumin alleviates oxidative stress, inflammation, and
renal fibrosis in remnant kidney through the nrf2-keap1 pathway. Mol
Nutr Food Res 2013;57:1649-59.
8. Daâ€™I M, Suhendi A, Meiyanto E, Jenie UA, Kawachi M. Apoptosis
induction effect of curcumin and its analogs pentagamavunon-0 and
pentagamavunon-1 on cancer cell lines. Asian J Pharma Clin Res
9. Shrishail D, Handral HK, Ravichandra H, Tulisianand G, Shruthi SD.
Turmeric: Natureâ€™s precious medicine. Asian J Pharm Clin Res
10. Waly MI, Al Moundhri MS, Ali BH. Effect of curcumin on cisplatin- and
oxaliplatin-induced oxidative stress in human embryonic kidney (HEK)
293 cells. Ren Fail 2011;33:518-23.
11. Kuhad A, Pilkhwal S, Sharma S, Tirkey N, Chopra K. Effect of
curcumin on inflammation and oxidative stress in cisplatin-induced
experimental nephrotoxicity. J Agric Food Chem 2007;55:10150-5.
12. Tapia E, Soto V, Ortiz-Vega KM, Zarco-MÃ¡rquez G, Molina-JijÃ³n E,
CristÃ³bal-GarcÃa M, et al. Curcumin induces nrf2 nuclear translocation
and prevents glomerular hypertension, hyperfiltration, oxidant stress,
and the decrease in antioxidant enzymes in 5/6 nephrectomized rats.
Oxid Med Cell Longev 2012;2012:269039.
13. Balogun E, Hoque M, Gong P, Killeen E, Green CJ, Foresti R, et al.
Curcumin activates the haem oxygenase-1 gene via regulation of nrf2
and the antioxidant-responsive element. Biochem J 2003;371:887-95.
14. Rahimi HR, Nedaeinia R, Sepehri Shamloo A, Nikdoust S,
Kazemi Oskuee R. Novel delivery system for natural products: Nanocurcumin
formulations. Avicenna J Phytomed 2016;6:383-98.