EFFECTIVENESS OF PROPOLIS WITH ARTEMISININ COMBINATION THERAPY IN TREATING MICE INFECTED WITH PLASMODIUM BERGHEI
Keywords:Propolis, Malaria, Artemisinin-based combination therapy, Plasmodium berghei
Objective: This study aimed to ascertain the effectiveness of combination treatment with propolis and artemisinin-based combination therapy (ACT)
in avoiding further resistance to ACT.
Methods: A total of 35 mice were injected with Plasmodium berghei and divided into six equal groups: No treatment (negative control), ACT alone
(positive control), 75-mg propolis/kg body weight (BW), 150-mg propolis/kg BW, ACT with 75-mg propolis/kg BW, and ACT with 150-mg propolis/
kg BW. After 7 days of therapy, parasite density was calculated using a thin blood smear.
Results: Parasite density significantly declined after combination treatment with ACT and 150-mg propolis/kg BW.
Conclusion: Therapy with propolis alone showed no inhibitory effect on parasites, although its 150-mg/kg-BW dose was effective as an ACT adjuvant
malaria therapy in mice.
[Last accessed 2018 Jul 07].
2. World Health Organization. Malaria; 2018. Available from: https://
www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/malaria. [Last accessed
2018 Nov 19].
3. Bloland PB. Drug Resistance in Malaria. Switzerland: WHO Department
of Communicable Disease Surveillance and Response; 2011.
4. Lawal B, Shittu OK, Kabiru AY, Jigam AA, Umar MB, Berinyuy EB,
et al. Potential antimalarials from African natural products: A review.
J Intercult Ethnopharmacol 2015;4:318-43.
5. Putri MA. Effectiveness of the Combination of Eurycoma longifolia
with cq (chloroquin) as an Antimalarial Orally in Plasmodium berghei-
Infected Mice. Undergraduate Thesis. Jakarta: Faculty of Medicine
Universitas Indonesia; 2015.
6. Syamsudin S, Dewi RM, Kusmardi K. Immunomodulatory and in vivo
antiplasmodial activities of propolis extracts. Am J Pharmacol Toxicol
7. Stanistic DI, Fowkes FJ, Koinari M, Javati S, Lin E, Kiniboro B, et al.
Acquisition of antibodies against Plasmodium falciparum merozoites
and malaria immunity in young children and the influence of age, force
of infection, and magnitude of response. Infect Immun 2015;83:646-60.
8. Li Y. Qinghaosu (artemisinin): Chemical and pharmacology. Acta
Pharmacol Sin 2012;33:1141-6.
9. Toreti VC, Sato HH, Pastore GM, Park YK. Recent progress of propolis
for its biological and chemical compositions and its botanical origin.
Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2013;2013:697390.
10. Jacob S, Nair AB. A simple practice guide for dose conversion between
animals and human. J Basic Clin Pharm 2016;7:27-31.