ASSOCIATION BETWEEN MATRIX METALLOPROTEINASE-1 −1607 1G/2G POLYMORPHISM AND CHRONIC PERIODONTITIS IN INDONESIAN POPULATION
Objective: This study aimed to identify the distribution of matrix metalloproteinase (MMP)-1 −1607 1G/2G alleles and genotypes in subjects with
chronic periodontitis and healthy subjects in a sample of Indonesian population and assess the possible association of this polymorphism with
susceptibility to chronic periodontitis.
Methods: Genomic DNA samples were obtained from 200 Indonesian males aged 33–78 years old, comprising 100 chronic periodontitis patients
and 100 healthy controls. DNA fragments were amplified by a polymerase chain reaction and analyzed by restriction fragment length polymorphism.
Results were analyzed by Chi-square test.
Results: The frequency of the 2G allele was high both in subjects with periodontitis (87%) and in controls (91%). Analysis of MMP-1 genotype
(−1607 1G/2G) showed no significant difference between the chronic periodontitis and healthy groups (p>0.05).
Conclusion: The result found no association between MMP-1 −1607 1G/2G polymorphism and susceptibility to chronic periodontitis in Indonesian
Periodontology. St. Louis: Elsevier/Saunders; 2012. p. 825.
2. Genco RJ, Borgnakke WS. Risk factors for periodontal disease.
Periodontol 2000 2013;62:59-94.
3. da Silva MK, de Carvalho AC, Alves EH, da Silva FR, Pessoa LD,
Vasconcelos FP. Genetic factors and the risk of periodontitis
development: Finding from a systematic review composed of
13 studies of meta-analysis with 71,531 participants. Int J Dent
4. Cao Z, Li C, Jin L, Corbet EF. Association of matrix metalloproteinase-1
promoter polymorphism with generalized aggressive periodontitis in a
Chinese population. J Periodontal Res 2005;40:427-31.
5. Tadjoedin M, Fitri AH, Kuswandani SO, Sulijaya B, Soeroso Y. The
correlation between age and peridontal diseases. J Int Dent Med Res
6. Sbardella D, Fasciglione GF, Gioia M, Ciaccio C, Tundo GR, Marini S,
et al. Human matrix metalloproteinases: An ubiquitarian class of
enzymes involved in several pathological processes. Mol Aspects Med
7. Sulijaya B, Masulili SL, Lessang R, Soeroso Y, Auerkari EI. Existence
of human beta defensin-1 peptide on periodontal disease: An updated
review based on case-control and cross-sectional studies. Asian J Pharm
Clin Res 2016;9:174.
8. Auerkari EI, Suryandari DA, Umami SS, Kusdhany LS, Siregar TW,
Rahardjo TB, et al. Gene promoter polymorphism of RUNX2 and
risk of osteoporosis in postmenopausal Indonesian women. SAGE
Open Med 2014;2:2050312114531571. Available from: https://doi.
9. Auerkari E, Suhartono A, Djamal N, Verisqa F, Suryandari D,
Kusdhany L, et al. CRP and IL-1B gene polymorphisms and CRP in
blood in periodontal disease. Open Dent J 2013;7:88-93.
10. Astolfi CM, Shinohara AL, da Silva RA, Santos MC, Line SR, de
Souza AP. Genetic polymorphisms in the MMP-1 and MMP-3 gene
may contribute to chronic periodontitis in a Brazilian population. J Clin
11. Karthikeyan R, Peeran SW, Murugan M, Awidat K, Basheer O,
Al Mugrabi MH. Single nucleotide polymorphisms and periodontitis.
Dent Med Res 2014;2:3.
12. Souza AP, Line SR. The biology of matrix metalloproteinases. Rev
13. Oh HS, Kim OS, Kim YJ, Chung HJ. MMP-1 promoter polymorphism
in Korean with generalized aggressive periodontitis. J Korean Acad
14. Itagaki M, Kubota T, Tai H, Shimada Y, Morozumi T, Yamazaki K.
Matrix metalloproteinase-1 and -3 gene promoter polymorphisms in
Japanese patients with periodontitis. J Clin Periodontol 2004;31:764-9.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.