COMPARISON OF ANTIBACTERIAL ACTIVITY OF EXTRACT OF PROSOPIS JULIFLORA SEEDS AGAINST AEROBIC AND ANAEROBIC BACTERIA
Objective: To compare the antibacterial activity of prosopisjuliflora seed extract against aerobic and anaerobic bacteria.
Methods: A cross sectional study was conducted for 6 mo in the clinical microbiology laboratory of SMCH. Agar cup diffusion technique is used to isolate the strains of Clostridium perfringens ATCC 3624, Staphylococcus aureus ATCC 25923 and Escherechiacoli ATCC 25922. The prosopisjulifloraseeds are collected from the saveetha medical college.
Results: By performing the research with proper guidance it is observed that all the three bacterias–Staphylococcus aureus, Escherechia coli, Clostridium perfringens showed sensitivity to prosopisjulifloraseed extract.
Conclusion: Due to its vast antibacterial activity it can be used along with other antibiotics to increase its efficacy. This is used for the treatment of infectious diseases.
2. Farnsworth NR, Akerele O, Bingel AS, Soejarto DD, Guo Z. Medicinal plants in therapy. Bull World Health Organ 1985;63:965–81.
3. Pasiecznik NM, Harris PJC, Smith SJ. Identifying tropical prosopis species: a field guide. Coventry: HDRA Publishing; 2004.
4. Gonzalez Lamothe R, Mitchell G, Gattuso M, Diarra MS, Malouin F, Bouarab K. Plant antimicrobial agents and their effects on plant and human pathogens. Int J MolSci 2009;10:3400–19.
5. Sathiya M, Muthuchelian K. Investigation of phytochemical profile and antibacterial potential of ethanolic leaf extract of prosopisjuliflora DC. Ethnobot Leaflets 2008;12:1240–5.
6. Alexander TJL, Gyles CL. Escherichia coli in domestic animals and humans. Wallingford, United Kingdom: CAB International; 1994. p. 151–70.
7. Kiu R, Hall LJ. An update on the human and animal enteric pathogen clostridium perfringens. Emerg Microbes Infect 2018;7:141.
8. Tong SY, Davis JS, Eichenberger E, Holland TL, Fowler VG Jr. Staphylococcus aureus infections: epidemiology, pathophysiology, clinical manifestations, and management. ClinMicrobiol Rev 2015;28:603-61.
9. Tendencia, Eleonor A. Disk diffusion method. SEAFDEC, Aquaculture Department Japan. Chapter 2; 2004. p.14-29.
10. Sathiya M, Muthuchelian K. Investigation of phytochemical profile and antibacterial potential of ethanolic leaf extract of prosopisjuliflora DC. Ethnobot Leaflets 2008;12:1240–5.
11. Singh S. Phytochemical analysis of different parts of prosopisjuliflora.Int J C Pharm Res 2012;4:59–61.
12. Taheri A, Seyfan A, Jalalinezhad S, Nasery F. Study of antibacterial effect of Prosopis sp. hydro-alcoholic extract. Pejouhandeh 2012;17:196–202.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.