Accessment of the Phytochemicals, Proximate & Elemental Composition of Chrysophyllum Africanum (Udara)
The freshly ripen samples of Chrysophyllum africanum commonly known as udaraâ€ among the Igbos and belong to the family sapotacea were obtained from tree plants at Umukwa village in Awka, Anambra state. The phytochemical Analysis of the methanol, water, ethylacetate extracts,Â proximate analysis and the evaluation of the elemental constituent of the fleshy edible part of the Chrysophyllum afracanum were carried out. The methanol, water and ethylacetateÂ extractsÂ gave a positive test for the presence of alkaloids, flavonoids, saponin while phenols and glycosides were absent. Tannin was present in the methanol and ethylacetate extracts but absent in water extract. The proximate analysis showed the following results; protein contents (6.42%), moisture contents (70.8%), crude fibre contents (2.6%), ash contents (2.4%), carbohydrates (14.28%), Vitamin C (4.549mg/100g), Vitamin A (0.01mg/100g). The elemental analysis gave values for the metals; Ca (16.0mg/kg) > Cr (2.0mg/kg) > Zn (3.2mg/kg) > Fe (0.46mg/kg).Â The levels of Pb occurred at none detectable limit of the instrumentation.
2. Fereidoon S, Jaime M.A. and Ying 2 (2008), phytochemicals of Foods, beverages and fruit vinegers: chemistry and Health effects Asia Pac. J. Clin Nutr. 17 (1): 380-382.
3. Hertog MGL, Kromhout, D. Aravinis C, and Menothi A (1995), Flavonoid intake and long-term risk of coronary heart diseases and cancer in seven countries study. Arch. Int. Med. 155: 381-386.
4. Shahid F. (2000), Antioxidants in food and food antioxidants. Nahrum-food 44:158-163.
5. Andlaver, W. stumpt C and furst P. (2000), Influence of the acetification process on phenolic compounds. J. Agric food chem. 48:3533-3536.
6. Wijeratne S.S., Abou-Zaid M.N, and Shahidi F. (2006), Anti-oxidant polyphenols in almond and its coproducts. J. Agric food chem, 54:312-318.
7. Griffifths, D.O. (2000), the inhibition of enzzunes by extract of fied beans (Vicia faba). J. Sci. food Agric, 30: 458-462.
8. Rao, P. and Desothale (1998), Tannin content of pulses varietal and Herence and effects of germination and cooking J. Sci. food Agric, 33: 1013-1015.
9. Inuwa H.M. Aina, V.O., Baba G, Aimola, I. and Aimao T. (2011), Comparative determination of Antimitritional factors in groundnut oil and palm oil. Advance journal of food science and technology 3 (4): 275-279.
10. Sarkiyayi, S. and Agar T.M. (2010), comparative Analysis on the nutritional and anti-nutritional contents of the sweet and bitter cassava varieties. Advance Journal of food science and technology, 2(6): 328-334.
11. AOAC (1980), Official method of analysis of the association of official analysis chemist. Washington DC, USA.
12. Oke, O.L. (1969), chemical studies on some Nigerian food stuffs. Latum w. Afr. J. Biol Appl. Chem. 8:53-56.
13.Beecher, G.R. (2003, overview of dietary flavonoids. Nutri J., 10: 3248-3254.
14. Bolhuis, G.G. (2003), the foxicity of cassava roots. Nesh. J. Afric. Sci. 2 (3): 176-185.
15.Akubugwo I.E. and Ugbogu A.E. (2007), Physiochemical studies on oil from five selected Nigerian plant seeds. Parkistan journal on nutrition, 6(1), 70:78.
16. Akpuaka, M.U. (2009), Natural product chemistry. Listed mason publisher, Enugu, pp. 34-64.
17. Finar, I.L. (1975), Stereochemistry and chemistry of natural product 15th ed. Person education, Vol. 2, pp 942-944.
18. Amusa, N.A. (2003), Biodeterioration of proximate composition of Africa Star apple in storage and effects on its food value Africa journal of Biotechnology, 2(3): 56-59.
19. Frazier, W.S. and Wwtstoff (1978), food micro biology 3rd ed, Mc Hraw Hill New York, pp 33-37.
20. Edem, C.A. (2008), determination of proximate composition of ascorbic acid and theory metal contents of African star apple. Global Journal of pure and Applied Sciences: 14(2): 193-195.
21. Bassey, F.I. (2009), A comparative assessment of the proximate composition, ascorbic acid and heavy metal content of two species of garden egg. Parkistan Journal of Nutrition 8(81): 582-584.
22. Okaraonye, C.C. and Ikewuchi, J.C. (2009), Nutritive and antinutritive components of pennisetum pinpureum schnach. Park J. Nutrition 8: 32-34.