TOTAL FLAVONOID CONTENT AND ANTIMICROBIAL PROPERTIES OF FOUR SPECIES OF ZINGIBERACEAE
Objectives: The objectives of this research were to study flavonoid content and antimicrobial activity of four species of Zingiberaceae plants that were collected randomly in West Java (Indonesia).
Methods: Preparation of extract were perfomed by reflux using ethanol as a solvent. The extracts were vaporated using rotavapor. Total flavonoid content was measured using modified method adapted from Chang. For antimicrobial activity microdilution broth method was used.
Results: Antimicrobial activity of four Zingiberaceae plants showed various potency. Hornstedtia pininga, Amomum hochreutineri and Hedychium roxburghii showed strong activity against Bacilus subtilis (MIC at 500 Î¼g/mL). The strongest activity against E. coli were showed by H. pininga and H. roxburghii the MIC were 31.25 Î¼g/mL. Whereas, the strongest antimicrobial activity against P. aeruginosa was H. roxburghii (MIC was 62.5 Î¼g/mL). In line with total flavonoid content results, the highest yield was obtained by H. roxburghii rhizome extract (0.162%), followed by A. hochreutineri (0.76%), Nicolaia hemisphaerica (0.071%) and H. pininga (0.04%).
Conclusion: In the present study, ethanolic extract of four Zingiberaceae showed an antimicrobial activity with various potency. Hornstedtia pininga, Amomum hochreutineri and Hedychium roxburghii showed strong activity against Bacilus subtilis (MIC at 500 Î¼g/mL).
Keywords: Zingiberaceae, Flavonoid, Antimicrobial, Hedychium, Hornstedtia.
2. Martins A P, Salgueiro L, Goncalves MJ, Proenca da Cunha A, Vila R, Canigueral S. Essential Oil Composition and Antimicrobial Activity of Three Zingiberaceae from S. Tome e Principe. J Planta Med 2001;67(6):580-4.
3. Pushpanathan T, Jebanesan A, and Govindarajan M. The Essential Oil of Zingiber officinalis Linn. (Zingiberaceae) as a Mosquito Larvicidal and Repellent Agent Against The Filarial Vector Culex quinquefasciatus Say (Diptera:Culicidae). J Parasitol Res 2008;102:1289-91.
4. Liu XH, Zhao DB, Yang CR, Wang HQ. New Sesquiterpenoids from Hedychium yunnanense gagnep. J Chin Chem Lett 2000;11(11):1009-12.
5. Li J, Zhao F, Li ZM, Chen LX, Qiu F. Diarylheptanoids from The Rhizomes of Curcuma kwangsiensis. J Nat Prod 2010;73:1667-71.
6. Eun S, Choi I, Shim SH. A New Sesquiterpenoid from The Rhizome of Curcuma zedoaria. J Bull Korean Chem 2010;31(5):1387-8.
7. Matsuda H, Morikawa T, Sakamoto Y, Toguchida I, Yoshikawa M. Labdane-type Diterpenes with Inhibitory Effects on increase in vascular permeability and nitric oxide production from Hedychium coronarium. J Bioorg Med Chem 2002;10:2527-34.
8. Reddy PP, Rao RR, Rekha K, Babu SK, Shashidar J, Shashikiran G, Lakshmi VV, Rao JM. Two new cytotoxic diterpenes from the rhizomes of Hedychium spicatum. J Bioorg Med Chem Lett 2009;19:192-5.
9. Mishra N and Behal KK. Antimicrobial activity of some species against selected microbes, Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2010;2(3):187-96.
10. Chang CC, Yang MH, Wen HM et al. Estimation of total flavonoid content in propolis by two complementary colorimetric methods J Food Drg Anal 2002;10:178-82.
11. Anonym. Methods for dilution antimicrobial susceptibility test for bacteria that grow aerobically;Approved standard-Eight edition. CLSI-M07-A8 2009:29
12. Middleton Jr E, Chithan K. The impact of plant flavonoids on mammalian biology:implications for immunity, inflammation and cancer. In:Harborne JB, editor. The flavonoids:advances in research since 1986. London, UK:Chapman and Hall;1993.
13. Havsteen B. Flavonoids, a class of natural products of high pharmacological potency. J Biochem Pharmacol 1983;32:1141-8.
14. Harborne JB, Baxter H. The handbook of natural flavonoids, Vol 1 and 2. Chichester, UK:John Wiley and Sons;1999
15. Harborne JB, Williams CA. Advances in flavonoid research since 1992. J Phytochemistry 2000;55:481-504.
16. Cushnie TPT, Lamb AJ. Antimicrobial activity of flavonoids. Int J of Antimicrob Ag 2005;26:343-56.
17. Xi-qiang AN, Zong-zhu LI, Lian-gang SHEN, Jian-yong SI. Chemical Constituents of Amomum villosum Lour. J Nat Prod Res Dev 2012;23(6):1021-24.
18. Lakshmi V, Chauhan JS. Chemical examination of the seeds of Amomum subulatum. J Ind Chem Soc 1976;53:633.