NEPHROPROTECTIVE ACTIVITY OF THE ETHNOMEDICINAL PLANTS CAESALPINIA BONDUC AND MOMORDICA DIOICA FROM NE INDIA AGAINST CISPLATIN INDUCED CHEMOTHERAPEUTIC TOXICITY
Objective: Cisplatin a potent anticancer drug is used for treatment against different forms of cancer. However a major limitation of cisplatin is its nephrotoxicity and severe side effects. The main objective of the present study was to investigate the nephroprotective activity of the medicinal plants Caesalpinia bonduc and Momordica dioica against cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity.
Methods: In the present study wistar rat models wereÂ intraperitoneallyÂ injected with cisplatin for eight consecutive days Plant extracts of different compositions were administered for eight days after injection of cisplatin. The polyphenolic content of the crude extracts was investigated using the Folin Ciocalteau method while the flavonoid estimation was carried out using the aluminium chloride method. The antioxidant activities of the extracts were assayed using the DPPH radical scavenging method. Plant extracts were tested for their nephroprotective ability using modified Berthelot method, uricase method, alkaline picrate method.
Results: In the present study it was found that the level of creatinine, urea, uric acid and blood urea nitrogen was lowered by the crude hexane extract of Momordica dioica and ethyl acetate extract of Caesalpinia bonduc as compared to the control group. The total phenolic content and the total flavonoid content was found to be highest in the hexane extract of Momordica dioica with 110.51Â±1.0 Î¼g/GAE and 1.92Â±0.15 Î¼g/QE. The methanol extract of Caesalpinia bonduc was found to be the highest in inhibition of the DPPH free radicals with nearly 80% inhibition.
Conclusion: The present study revealed the nephroprotective ability of the hexane extract of Momordica dioica and ethyl acetate extract Caeselpinia bonduc. The extracts were also found to have higher antioxidant activity and therefore their nephroprotective activity might be due to attenuation of oxidative stress.
2. Alqasoumi I. Evaluation of the hepatroprotective and nephroprotective activities of Scrophularia hypericifolia growing in Saudi Arabia. Saudi Pharm J 2014;22:258â€“63.
3. Marina N. Hepatotoxicity of antiretrovirals: incidence, mechanisms and management. J Hepat 2006;44:132â€“9.
4. Abubaker S, Shanmukha I, Rajendra V, Ramachandra S. Protective effect of Spathodea campanulata bark against paracetamol-induced nephrotoxicity in rats. Int J PharmTech Res 2012;4:398â€“403.
5. Rajakrishnan R, Lekshmi R, Benil B, Thomas J, Farhan H, Rakesh V. Phytochemical evaluation of roots of Plumbago zeylanica L. and assessment of its potential as a nephroprotective agent. Saudi J Biol Sci 2017;24:760â€“6.
6. Mathew S, Joseph A, Srinivasan K, Dinakaran V, Mantri A, Movaliya V. Effect of ethanol extract of Sphaeranthus indicus on cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats. Nat Prod Res 2012;26:933-8.
7. Leibbrandt E, Wolfgang H, Metz L, Ozobia A, Haskins R. Critical subcellular targets of cisplatin and related platinum analogs in rat renal proximal tubule cells. Kidney Int 1995;48:761â€“70.
8. Matsushima H, Yonemura K, Ohishi K, Hishida A. The role of oxygen free radicals in cisplatin-induced acute renal failure in rats. J Lab Clin Med 1998;131:518â€“26.
9. Peng A, Lin Y. Herbal treatment for renal diseases. Annals Acad Med 2005;34:44â€“51.
10. Manikandaselvi S, Vadivel V, Brindha P. Caesalpinia bonducella L.: a nutraceutical plant. J Chem Pharm Res 2015;7:147-52.
11. Khan N, Kumar S, Singh P, Dhankhar N. A pharmacognostic and pharmacological overview on Caesalpinia bonducella. Res J Pharm Biol Chem Sci 2012;3:480-96.
12. Noorani A, Gupta A, Bhadada K, Kale K. Protective effect of methanolic leaf extract of Caesalpinia Bonduc (L.) on gentamicin-induced hepatotoxicity and nephrotoxicity in rats. Iranian J Pharma Ther 2010;10:21-5.
13. Manimala M, Karpagam S, Deecaraman, Atlee C, Prabhu P. Evaluation of nephroprotective and antioxidant activity of ethanolic extracts of Momordica dioica leaves. Pharm Lett 2015;7:153-6.
14. Talukdar N, Hossain N. Phytochemical, phytotherapeutical and pharmacological study of Momordica dioica. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2014;11:45-51.
15. Harborne B. Phytochemical screeningâ€“ a guide to modern techniques of plant analysis. Chapman Hall New York; 1991. p. 653-8.
16. Anna N. Antioxidant studies on selected Lamiaceae herbs in vitro and in humans. University Press: Helsinki Finland; 2008. p. 952-78.
17. Wolve K, Wu X, Spitz R. Telomere dysfunction: a potential cancer predisposition factor. J Natl Cancer Inst 2003; 95:1211-8.
18. Ordon E, Gomez D, Vattione A, Isla L. Anti-oxidant activities of Sechium edule (Jacq) swart extracts. Food Chem 2006;97:452-8.
19. Chirino Y, Rogelio H, Chaverri J. Peroxynitrite decomposition catalyst ameliorates renal damage and protein nitration in cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats. J BMC Pharmacol 2004;4:20-9.
20. Kunihiko S, Kazuto M, Kazutaka M, Yoshinori I, Kazuhiko T, Hideki H. Protection by a radical scavenger edaravone against cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats. Eur J Pharmacol 2002;2:203â€“8.
21. Luania M, Greggi A, Darin J. Effects of the antioxidants curcumin or selenium on cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity and lipid peroxidation in rats. Pharmacol Res 2001;43:145-50.
22. Satu M, Husain K, Gary L, Leonard P. Dose-dependent protection by lipoic acid against cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats: antioxidant defense system. Basic Clin Toxicol Pharmacol 2000;86:234-41.
23. Robert R, Nicoletta P. Antioxidant activity applying an improved ABTS radical cation decolourization assay. Free Radical Biol Med 1999;26:1231â€“7.
24. Rajendiran D, Packirisamy S, Gunasekaran K. A review on the role of antioxidants in diabetes. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:48-53.
25. Priya G. Antioxidant mediated defence role of Eclipta alba herbal extract against ccl4 induced toxic hepatitis. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2018;10:29-32.
26. Sivakumar T, Sundaram B, Kamaraj L, Periyanaina K, Chaiyavat C. Evaluation of bioactivities of Morinda tinctoria leaves extract for pharmacological applications. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:100-5.
27. Mayura K, Suparna B, Pratima K. Role of antioxidants and nutrition in oxidative stress: a review. Int J Appl Pharm 2015;7:1-4.