DEVELOPMENT AND VALIDATION OF STABILITY INDICATING METHOD RP-HPLC METHOD OF ACOTIAMIDE
Objective: The objective of present work was to develop and validate simple, precise, accurate and specific stability indicating method for determination of acotiamide in presence of its degradation products.
Methods: An isocratic RP-HPLC method has been developed using C-8 Thermo Hypersil BDS Column (250 x 4.6 mm i.d., 5Âµparticle size) with the mobile phase composition of acetonitrile: 0.1 % triethylamine in 0.2% formic acid (30: 70) at column oven temperature of 40 Â°C. The flow rate was 1.0 ml min-1 and effluent was detected at 282 nm. The method was validated in terms of linearity, accuracy, precision, LOD (Limit of Detection), LOQ (Limit of Quantification) and robustness as per ICH guidelines.
Results: The method was found to be linear in the range of 10-60Âµg/ml. Limit of detection and limit of quantification was found to 0.36Âµg/ml and 1.10 Âµg/ml.% Recovery was found to be in the range of 99.45%-99.75%and precision less than 2%. The developed method was successfully applied for estimation of Acotiamide in marketed tablet formulation and percentage assay was found to be 100.45%. Acotiamide was subjected to stress degradation under acid, base, neutral hydrolysis, oxidation, dry heat, photolysis conditions. Significant degradation was observed in acid and base degradation.
Conclusion: The developed RP-HPLC method was simple, rapid, accurate, precise and stability indicating for the estimation of Acotiamide in bulk and tablet dosage form.
2. Nolan ML, Scott LJ. Acotiamide, first global approval. Drugs 2013;73 Suppl 12:1377-83.
3. Mayanagi S, Kishino M, Kitagawa Y, Sunamor M. Efficacy of acotiamide in combination with esomeprazole for functional dyspepsia refractory to proton pump inhibitors. Tohuku J Exp Med 2014;234 Suppl 3:237-40.
4. Fu K, Yang L, Wang Q, Zhan F, Wang B, Yang Q, et al. A three step synthesis of acotiamide for the treatments of patients with functional dyspepsia. Org Proc Res Dev 2015;19:2006-11.
5. Bakshi M, Singh S. Development of validated stability-indicating method-critical review. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2002;28:1011-40.
6. Bakshi M, Singh S. Guidance on the conduct of stress testing to determine the inherent stability of drugs. Pharma Tech On-line; 2000. p. 1-14.
7. Vani R, Sunitha M. Analytical method development and validation for the determination of acotiamide hydrochloride using reverse phase HPLC method in bulk and tablet. World J Pharm Pharma Sci 2017;6 Suppl 10:768-75.
8. Jing L, Rui H, Zhi W, Haijun Q, Majuan S, Zhenhuan Z. Development and validation of sensitive and specific LC-MS-MS method for the determination of acotiamide in rat plasma. J Chromatogr Sci 2016;54 Suppl 6:1004-9.
9. Patel PN, Kalariya PD, Swamy CV, Gananadhamu S, Srinivas R. Quantitation of acotiamide in rat plasma by UHPLC-Q-TOF-MS: method development. Validation Appl Pharmacokinetics 2016;30:363-8.
10. Patel PN, Kalariya PD, Thummar M, Gananadhamu S, Srinivas R. In vivo metabolite identification of acotiamide in rats using ultra-performance liquid chromatography-quadrupole/time-of-flight mass spectrometry: characterization of in vivo metabolites of acotiamide in rats by LC-MS. Biomed Chromatogr 2017:31:3915.
11. Thummar M, Patel PN, Samanthula G, Ragampeta S. Stability-indicating assay method for acotiamide: Separation, identification and characterization of its hydroxylated and hydrolytic degradation products along with a process-related impurity by ultra-high-performance liquid chromatography/ electrospray ionization quadrupole time-of-flight tandem mass spectrometry. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 2017;31 Suppl 21:1813-24.
12. ICH. Validation of analytical procedures: Text and Methodology Q2 (R1), International Conference on Harmonization; 2005.
13. ICH. Stability testing of new drug substances and products Q1A (R2), International Conference on Harmonization; 2003.
14. Gupta VK, Chaturvedi V. A study on forced degradation and validation of stability indicating an RP-HPLC method for determination of bezalkonium chloride in the azelastine hydrochloride pharmaceutical ophthalmic formulation. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10 Suppl 11:374-82.
15. Chakravarthy AV, Sailaja BBV, Praveen KA. Stability indicating a reverse high-performance liquid chromatographic method for simultaneous estimation of labetalol and its degradation products in tablet dosage forms. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9 Suppl 2:242-9.
16. Athavia BA, Dedania ZR, Dedania RR, Vijayendra Swamy SM, Prajapati CB. Stability indicating HPLC method for determination of vilazodone hydrochloride. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2017;9 Suppl 4:123-9.