DEVELOPMENT OF HPLC AND CHEMOMETRIC ASSISTED SPECTROPHOTOMETRIC METHODS FOR THE SIMULTANEOUS DETERMINATION OF FIVE ACTIVE INGREDIENTS IN COUGH AND COLD TABLETS AND THEIR APPLICATION TO DISSOLUTION STUDY
Objective: Chemometric assisted spectrophotometry, and HPLC methods have been developed for the simultaneous determination of phenylephrine hydrochloride (PEPH), paracetamol (PCM), guaifenesin (GNF), chlorpheniramine maleate (CPM) and bromhexine hydrochloride (BRM).
Methods: The chromatographic separation was carried out on a Phenomenex RPC18 column. An isocratic elution was carried out with the mobile phase comprising methanol, acetonitrile and 10 mM phosphate buffer (pH 3) in the ratio of 27.5:22.5:50 respectively at a wavelength of 218 nm. Two chemometric methods i.e. principal component regression (PCR) method and partial least squares (PLS) method were also developed to quantify each drug in the mixture using the information included in the UV absorption spectra of appropriate solutions in the range 210â€“320 nm with the intervals of 2 nm at 51 wavelengths.
Results: The three methods were successfully applied to a tablet formulation and the results were compared statistically by applying ANOVA, which showed no significant difference among the three methods. The methods were applied to the dissolution study of the five components in tablet formulation and the percentage release of all the five components was found to be greater than 85% within 45 min by all the three methods.
Conclusion: Thus, the proposed methods, i.e., PLS, PCR and HPLC, were found to be suitable and can be successfully used for the determination of the PEPH, PCM, GNF, CPM and BRM in pharmaceutical tablet formulation as well as for dissolution study.
2. Louhaichia MR, Jebali S, Loueslatia MH, Adhoumb N, Monserb L. Simultaneous determination of pseudoephedrine, pheniramine, guaifenesin, pyrilamine, chlorpheniramine and dextro-meth orphan in cough and cold medicines by high-performance liquid chromatography. Talanta 2009;78:991-7.
3. Fuad Al-Rimawi. Normal-phase LC method for simultaneous analysis of pseudoephedrine hydrochloride, dextromethorphan hydrobromide, chlorpheniramine maleate and paracetamol in tablet formulations. Saudi Pharm J 2010;18:103-6.
4. Marin A, Garcia E, Garcia A, Barbas C. Validation of a HPLC quantification of acetaminophen, phenylephrine and chlorpheniramine in pharmaceutical formulations: capsules and sachets. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2002;29:701-14.
5. Chittrakarn S, Penjamras P, Keawpradu N. Quantitative analysis of mitragynine, codeine, caffeine, chlorpheniramine and phenylephrine in a kratom (Mitragyna speciosa Korth.) cocktail using high-performance liquid chromatography. Forensic Sci Int 2012;217:81-6.
6. Lau OL, Mok CS. High-performance liquid chromatographic determination of active ingredients in cough-cold syrups with indirect conductometric detection. J Chromatogr A 1995; 693:45-54.
7. Kolhal S, Lokhande R, Sutar R, Surve S, Pednekar S, Gudekar S. RP-HPLC method for the simultaneous determination of paracetamol, guaifenesin, ambroxol, phenylephrine hydrochloride and chlorpheniramine maleate in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2014;24:105-11.
8. Borkar N, Sawant S. Review of simultaneous determination of analytes by high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) in a multi component cough and cold oral drug products. Int J PharmTech Res 2011;3:1339-45.
9. Khalil SJ. Atomic emission spectrometric determination of ephedrine, cinchonine, chlorpheniramine, atropine and diphenhydramine based on the formation of ion associates with ammonium reineckate. J Pharm Biomed Anal 1999;21:697-702.
10. Thomas BR, Fang XG, Shen P, Ghodbane SJ. Mixed ion pair liquid chromatography method for the simultaneous assay of ascorbic acid, caffeine, chlorpheniramine maleate, dextromethorphan HBr monohydrate and paracetamol in Frenadol TM sachets. J Pharm Biomed Anal 1994;12:85-90.
11. Li H, Zhang C, Wang J, Jiang Y, Fawcett JP, Gu J. Simultaneous quantitation of paracetamol, caffeine, pseudoephedrine, chlorpheniramine and cloperastine in human plasma by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2010;51:716-22.
12. Dong Y, Chen X, Chen Y, Chen X, Hu Z. Separation and determination of pseudoephedrine, dextromethorphan diphenhydramine and chlorpheniramine in cold medicines by nonaqueous capillary electrophoresis. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2005;39:285-9.
13. Harsono T, Yuwono M, Indrayanto. Simultaneous determination of some active ingredients in cough and cold preparations by gas chromatography and method validation. J AOAC Int 2005;88:1093-8.
14. Samadi-Maybodi A, Nejad-Darzi SKH. Determination of phenylephrine hydrochloride and chlorpheniramine maleate in binary mixture using chemometric-assisted spectrophoto-metric and high-performance liquid chromatographic-UV methods. Spectrochim Acta Part A 2010;75:1270-4.
15. Al-Shaalan NH. Determination of phenylephrine hydrochloride and chlorpheniramine maleate in binary mixture using chemometric-assisted spectrophotometric and high-performance liquid chromatographic-UV methods. J Saudi Chem Soc 2010;14:15-21.
16. United States Pharmacopeia and National Formulary (USP 30-NF 25). Rockville, MD: United States Pharmacopeia Convention; 2007. p. 1255, 1728.
17. ICH guidelines, validation of analytical procedure: Methodology Q2B. I. C. H. Harmonized Tripartite Guidelines; 1996.
18. R. Kramer. Chemometric techniques for quantitative analysis. Marcel Decker Inc., New York; 1998. p. 103-69.