PREVALENCE OF VITAMIN D/B12 DEFICIENCY AMONG URBAN POPULATIONS COMPLAINING PAIN OF LOWER LIMB AND GENERALIZE WEAKNESS
Objective: The current study was carried out to assess the prevalence of vitamin D/B12 deficiency among urban populations complaining pain of
lower limb and generalize weakness.
Methods: A cross-sectional study was conducted in a sample of 188 men and women of different age who attended private tertiary care hospital for
the complaint of pain in lower limb and have generalize weakness. A brief questionnaire was designed to obtain the information such as age, type of
diet, outdoor physical exercise and intake of alcohol or smoke. Blood samples were collected for vitamin D and B12 analysis.
Results: The majority (57.4%) of the participants had vitamin D deficiency or insufficiency (< 20 ng/ml) and 48.4 % of subjects had vitamin B12
deficiency (< 198 pg/ml). In our results the prevalence of both vitamin D/B12 deficiencies appears to increase with the age. Risk factors such as age,
diet and smoke (cigarette consumption) were significantly associated with vitamin D/B12 deficiency (p=0.001). Unlike vitamin B12, outdoor physical
exercise was significantly associated with vitamin D status (p=0.001).
Conclusion: The findings of this study report high prevalence of vitamin D/B12 deficiencies among urban populations complaining pain of lower limb
and have generalize weakness. A vegetarian diet, cigarette smoking seems a strong risk factor for vitamin D/B12 deficiencies. Our study emphasizes
the need of regular monitoring of these two micronutrient status so that appropriate intervention programs can be implemented to address this
Keywords: Vitamin D, Vitamin B12, India.
2. Vimaleswaran KS, Cavadino A, Berry DJ. LifeLines Cohort Study
investigators, Jorde R, Dieffenbach AK, Lu C, et al. Association
of vitamin D status with arterial blood pressure and hypertension
risk: A mendelian randomisation study. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol
3. Zeng J, Wu G, Yang W, Gu X, Liang W, Yao Y, et al. A serum vitamin D
level <25nmol/l pose high tuberculosis risk: A meta-analysis. PLoS
4. Pludowski P, Holick MF, Pilz S, Wagner CL, Hollis BW, Grant WB,
et al. Vitamin D effects on musculoskeletal health, immunity,
autoimmunity, cardiovascular disease, cancer, fertility, pregnancy,
dementia and mortality - A review of recent evidence. Autoimmun Rev
5. Clemens TL. Vitamin B12 deficiency and bone health. N Engl J Med
6. Morris MS, Jacques PF, Selhub J. Relation between homocysteine
and B-vitamin status indicators and bone mineral density in older
Americans. Bone 2005;37(2):234-42.
7. El Maghraoui A, Ghozlani I, Mounach A, Rezqi A, Oumghar K,
Achemlal L, et al. Homocysteine, folate, and vitamin B12 levels and
vertebral fracture risk in postmenopausal women. J Clin Densitom
8. Ouzzif Z, Oumghar K, Sbai K, Mounach A, Derouiche el M, El
Maghraoui A. Relation of plasma total homocysteine, folate and
vitamin B12 levels to bone mineral density in Moroccan healthy
postmenopausal women. Rheumatol Int 2012;32(1):123-8.
9. Lindenbaum J, Rosenberg IH, Wilson PW, Stabler SP, Allen RH.
Prevalence of cobalamin deficiency in the Framingham elderly
population. Am J Clin Nutr 1994;60(1):2-11.
10. Carmel R. Current concepts in cobalamin deficiency. Annu Rev Med
11. Baik HW, Russell RM. Vitamin B12 deficiency in the elderly. Annu
Rev Nutr 1999;19:357-77.
12. Fora MA, Mohammad MA. High frequency of suboptimal serum
vitamin B12 level in adults in Jordan. Saudi Med J 2005;26(10):1591-5.
13. Herrmann W, Schorr H, Purschwitz K, Rassoul F, Richter V. Total
homocysteine, vitamin B(12), and total antioxidant status in vegetarians.
Clin Chem 2001;47(6):1094-101.
14. Sivaprasad M, Shalini T, Balakrishna N, Sudarshan M, Lopamudra P,
Suryanarayana P, et al. Status of Vitamin B12 and folate among the Urban
adult population in South India. Ann Nutr Metab 2016;68(2):94-102.
15. Yajnik CS, Deshpande SS, Lubree HG, Naik SS, Bhat DS, Uradey BS,
et al. Vitamin B12 deficiency and hyperhomocysteinemia in rural and
urban Indians. J Assoc Physicians India 2006;54:775-82.
16. Hakooz N, Abu-Dahab R, Arafat T, Hamad M. A trend of low serum
vitamin B12 in Jordanian adults from two ethnic groups in Amman.
Jordanian Med J 2006;40:80-7.
17. Chaitanya G, Shyam P, Shrinivas S. Incidence of vitamin B12/D3
deficiency among company executives. Indian J Occup Environ Med
18. Marwaha RK, Tandon N, Garg MK, Kanwar R, Narang A, Sastry A,
et al. Vitamin D status in healthy Indians aged 50 years and above.
J Assoc Physicians India 2011;59:706-9.
19. Khadilkar AV. Vitamin D deficiency in Indian adolescents. Indian
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.