COSMETIC CONTAMINATION AWARENESS AMONG ADOLESCENT FEMALES
Objective: Cosmetics, in today's world, have become a part and parcel of every women's life. The majority of the women who use cosmetics are unaware of the fact that makeup can harbor a variety of infections if not used in the appropriate manner. The purpose of the study is to determine the
awareness of cosmetic contamination among adolescent females and spread awareness regarding the different ways to prevent the harmful effects
that these contaminated cosmetics can have on the health of the users.
Methods: This is a survey-based study. This study was conducted by observing cosmetic usage practices of adolescent females through the medium of analyzing questionnaires. The data collected were compiled and analyzed statistically.
Results: The responses of the participants reveal that there is a rapid increase in the awareness regarding cosmetic contamination among adolescent females. Out of the 100 adolescent females who completed the survey, 87% of the females are aware of the presence of lead, carcinogenic substances, and preservatives that can become toxic over a period of time, the rest 13% are unaware of the fact and the harmful effects these can cause if not handled properly.
Conclusion: The results of the study show the increase in cosmetic usage patterns and cosmetic contamination awareness among the adolescent
females in the past few decades.
Keywords: Cosmetic contamination, Microbial, Contamination, Awareness, Adolescent females, Toxicity.
Schneider G, Gohla S, Schreiber J, Kaden W, SchÃ¶nrock U, Schmidt-LewerkÃ¼hne H, et al. Skin Cosmeticsâ€ in Ullmannâ€™s Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry. Weinheim: Wiley-VCH; 2005.
Nigam P K. Adverse reactions to cosmetics and methods of testing. Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 2009;75(1):10-9.
Persaud L. Cosmetic Contamination Awareness Among Adolescent Females. Brooklyn, NY: Brooklyn Technical High School; ???.
Anonymous. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. USA, Silver Spring, MD: FDA; 2011.
Haftbaradaran B, Abedi D, Jalali M, Bagherinejad MZ. Microbial quality survey of sunscreen products in Iranian market. Adv Biomed Res 2014;3:180.
Dawson RM. Data for Biochemical Research (Rex Malcontent Chaplin). 2nd ed. Oxford, Oxfordshire: Oxford University Press; 1982.
Brannan DK, Dille JC. Types of closure prevents microbial AQ4contamination of cosmetics during consumer use. Appl Environ Microbiol 1990;56(5):1476-9.
Perry B. Cosmetic microbiology. Microbiol Today 2001;28(11):185-7.
Bhadauria R, Ahearn DG. Loss of effectiveness of preservative systems of mascaras with age. Appl Environ Microbiol 1980;39(3):665-7.
Hugbo PG. Onyekweli AO, Igwe I. Microbial contamination and preservative capacity of some brands of cosmetic creams. Trop J Pharm Res2003;2(2):299-34.
Lisbeth PM Toxins in Cosmetics - Contaminants in Your Personal Care Products. Available from: http://www.hormonesmatter.com/toxins-cosmetics/.
How to Cite
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.