TYPICAL DERMATOSIS IN KWASHIORKOR
Protein-energy malnutrition is the most widespread nutritional deficiency disorder in India, commonly occurring in children aged 6 months-2 years,
as per the National Family Health Survey, 2007. The dermatologic manifestations are more florid and characteristic in kwashiorkor than in marasmus.Here, we present a case of a 1Â½ years old male, with extensive skin lesions, owing to severe malnutrition. Malnourishment is one of the foremost
conditions seen in the developing countries. It is essential to provide adequate nutritional support to the growing children and to impart properÂ education to the mothers with regard to weaning and care during the illness of children aged under 5 years.
2. Mehta MN. Protein energy malnutrition. In: Parthasarathy A, editor.
IAP Textbook of Pediatrics. 4th ed. New Delhi: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd.; 2009. p. 136-57.
3. Heikens GT, Manary M. 75 years of Kwashiorkor in Africa. Malawi Med J 2009;21:96-8.
4. Al-Samerraee AS, Thamer JM. Impact of PEM on heart structure. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6(6):110-4.
5. Pingale S, Patil VW, Patil S. Estimation of stunted, wasted and stunted children at town Dhadgaon, district Nandurbar of Maharashtra state, India. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7(2):529-31.
6. Elizabeth KE. Triple burden of malnutrition. In: Nutrition and Child Development. 4th ed. Hyderabad, India: Paras Medical Publisher; 2010. p. 163-217.
7. Ahmed T, Rahman S, Cravioto A. Oedematous malnutrition. Indian J Med Res 2009;130(5):651-4.
8. Yan AC, Jen MV. Skin signs of pediatric nutritional disorders. Curr Probl Pediatr Adolesc Health Care 2012;42(8):212-7.
9. Darwin R, Harahap M, Tjakradinata D. Skin changes in protein calorie deficiency malnutrition. Int J Dermatol 1970;9(4):247-52.
10. Smit EN, Muskiet FA, Boersma ER. The possible role of essential fatty acids in the pathophysiology of malnutrition: A review. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 2004;71(4):241-50.
11. Lenhartz H, Ndasi R, Anninnos A, Botticher D, Mayatepek E, Tetanye E, et al. The clinical manifestation of the kwashiorkor syndrome is related to increased lipid peroxidation. J Pediatr 1998;132(5):879-81.
12. Golden MH, Ramdath D. Free radicals in the pathogenesis of kwashiorkor. Proc Nutr Soc 1987;46(1):53-68.
13. Vasantha L. Biochemical changes in skin in experimental protein and calorie deficiency. Am J Clin Nutr 970;23(1):99-104.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.