HEPATOPROTECTIVE ACTIVITY FROM ETHANOL EXTRACT OF PUGUN TANOâ€™S LEAVE (Curanga fel-terrae (Lour.) Merr.)
Objective: The aim of this study is to observe the activity of ethanol extract of Curanga fel-terrae leave in preventing the damaged of liver which is induced by high dose of paracetamol.
Methods: This research was conducted by using Wistar rat divided into 6 groups. Group 1 was the normal group. Group 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 received CMC-Na 0.5% (negative control), C. fel-terrae ethanolic extract (CFEE) at the doses of 125, 250 and 500 mg/kg, catechin 2 mg/kg (positive control),respectively during 7 days continued and followed by given paracetamol dose of 2.5g/kg 8 hours after that. Hepatoprotective activity was carried out toward parameter of AST, ALT as well as histopathology of the liver.
Results: The results showed that high-dose paracetamol dose of 2.5g/kg bw can cause liver damaged which can be seen by the increasing of the level of AST and ALT compared to the normal group (p<0.05). The usage of three doses of CFEEfor 7 days showed the prevention of the increasing of the level of AST and ALT compared to negative control group (p<0.05). Furthermore, the histopathology study revealed that the three doses of extract could protect the liver.
Conclusion: The C. fel-terrae ethanolic extract (CFEE) at the doses of 125, 250 and 500 mg/kg bw which was given for 7 days can prevent the liver from the damage caused by high-dose of paracetamol.
Keyword: Curanga fel-terrae (Lour.) Merr., paracetamol, liver, hepatoprotectiveÂ Â
2. Singh DW, Mehta S, Neoliya NK, Shukla YN, Mishra M. Hepatoprotective activity of Sarcostemma brevistigma against carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatic damage in rats. Curr Sci 2003;10:22.
3. Kobarfard F. Tuberculosis and traditional medicine: Fighting the oldest infectious disease using the oldest source of medicines. Iran J Pharm Res 2004;3:71-2.
4. Murti K, Panchal M, Taya P, Singh R. Pharmacological properties of Scoparia dulcis: A review. Pharmacologia 2012;3:344-7.
5. Ivancheva S, Nikolova M, Tsvetkova R. Pharmacological activities and biologically active compounds of Bulgarian medicinal plants. In: Filippo I, editor. Phytochemistry: Biologically Active Compounds. Kerala, India: Research Signpost; 2006. p. 87-103.
6. Bermejo P, Abad MJ, DÃaz AM, FernÃ¡ndez L, De Santos J, Sanchez S, et al. Antiviral activity of seven iridoids, three saikosaponins and one phenylpropanoid glycoside extracted from Bupleurum rigidum and Scrophularia scorodonia. Planta Med 2002;68(2):106-10.
7. Ozcan B, Yilmaz M, Caliskan M. Antimicrobial and antioxidant activities of various extracts of Verbascum antiochium Boiss. (Scrophulariaceae). J Med Food 2010;13(5):1147-52.
8. Guarino C. Antimicrobial activity of Verbascum macrurum Ten. (Scrophulariaceae). Boll Chim Farm 2002;141(3):238-42.
9. Cervellati R, Speroni E, Govoni P, Guerra MC, Costa S, Arnold UW, et al. Wulfenia carinthiaca Jacq. Antioxidant and pharmacological activities. Z Naturforsch C 2004;59(3-4):255-62.
10. Pal D, Nandi M. CNS activities of Celesia coromandeliane Vahl. in mice. Acta Pol Pharm 2005;62(5):355-61.
11. Smit HF, Kroes BH, van den Berg AJ, van der Wal D, van den Worm E, Beukelman CJ, et al. Immunomodulatory and anti-inflammatory activity of Picrorhiza scrophulariiflora. J Ethnopharmacol 2000;73(1-2):101-9.
12. FernÃ¡ndez MA, SÃ¡enz MT, GarcÃa MD. Anti-inflammatory activity in rats and mice of phenolic acids isolated from Scrophularia frutescens. J Pharm Pharmacol 1998;50(10):1183-6.
13. Sairam K, Dorababu M, Goel RK, Bhattacharya SK. Antidepressant activity of standardized extract of Bacopa monniera in experimental models of depression in rats. Phytomedicine 2002;9(3):207-11.
14. Navarro E, Alonso PJ, Alonso SJ, Trujillo J, PÃ©rez C, Toro MV, et al. Cardiovascular activity of a methanolic extract of Digitalis purpurea spp. heywoodii. J Ethnopharmacol 2000;71:437-42.
15. Okhale SE, Amanabo MO, Jegede IA, Egharevba HO, Muazzan IW, Kunle OF. Phytochemical and pharmacognostic investigation of antidiabetic Scoparia dulcis Linn. Scrophulariaceae whole plant grown in Nigeria. Researcher 2010;2:7-16.
16. Lee EJ, Kim SR, Kim J, Kim YC. Hepatoprotective phenylpropanoids from Scrophularia buergeriana roots against ccl4-induced toxicity: Action mechanism and structure-activity relationship. Planta Med 2002;68:407-11.
17. Bammidi SR, Volluri SS, Chippada SC. A review on pharmacological studies of Bacopa monniera. J Chem Biol Phys Sci 2011;1:250-9.
18. Hossain H, Howlader MS, Dey SK, Hira A, Ahmed A. Evaluation of analgesic, antidiarrhoeal and cytotoxic activities of ethanolic extract of Bacopa monnieri (L). Br J Pharm Res 2012;2:188-96.
19. Vasconcellos MC, Bezerra DP, Fonseca AM, Pereira MR, Lemos TL, Pessoa OD, et al. Antitumor activity of biflorin, an o-naphthoquinone isolated from Capraria biflora. Biol Pharm Bull 2007;30(8):1416-21.
20. van Valkenburg JL, de Padua LS, Bunyapraphatsara N, Lemmens RH. Medicinal and Poisonous Plants. Part 2. Leiden, Netherlands: Backhuys, The University of Michigan; 2001.
21. Zou JM, Wang LS, Ma XM, Shi RB, Guo YJ. Isolation and identification of a new cucurbitacin from Picria fel-terrae. Yao Xue Xue Bao 2004;39(11):910-2.
22. Huang YDe Bruyne TApers SMa YClaeys Mvan den Berghe DHuang Y, De Bruyne T, Apers S, Ma Y, Claeys M, Vanden Berghe D, et al. Complement-inhibiting cucurbitacin glycosides from Picria fel-terrae. J Nat Prod 1998;61(6):757-61.
23. Huang Y, de Bruyne T, Apers S, Ma Y, Claeys M, Pieters L, et al. Flavonoid glucuronides from Picria fel-terrae. Phytochemistry 1999;62:1701-3.
24. Fang H, Ning DS, Liang XY. Studies on technology optimization for extracting triterpenoid saponins from Picria felterrae by multi-target grading method. Zhong Yao Cai 2009;32(12):1902-5.
25. Wang LS, Li SH, Zou JM, Guo YJ, Sun HD. Two new triterpenoids from Picria fel-terrae. J Asian Nat Prod Res 2006;8(6):491-4.
26. AgroMedia R. Buku Pintar Tanaman Obat. Cetakan 1. Jakarta: Agromedia Pustaka; 2008.
27. Patilaya P, Husori DI. Preliminary study on the anthelmintic activity of the leaf ethanolic extract of Indonesian Curanga fel-terrae (Lour.) Merr. Int J Pharm Technol Res 2015;8:347-51.
28. Sitorus P, Harahap U, Pandapotan M, Barus T. Isolation of Î²-sitosterol from n-hexane extract of Picria fel-terrae Lour. Leave and study of its antidiabetic effect in alloxan induced diabetic mice. Int J Pharm Technol Res 2014;6:137-41.
29. Lestari P, Hadisahputra S, Ilyas S, Satria D. Combinational effects of n-hexane extract of poguntano leaves (Picria fel-terrae Lour.) with doxorubicin on MCF-7 breast cancer cells. J Chem Pharm Res 2015;7:353-5.
30. Satria D, Furqan M, Hadisahputra S, Rosidah. Combinational effects of ethylacetate extract of Picria fel-terrae Lour and doxorubicin on T47D breast cancer cells. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:73-6.
31. Furqan M, Hadisahputra S, Rosidah. Effects of inhibition cell cycle and apoptosis of poguntano leaves ethylacetate extract (Picria fel-terrae Lour.) on breast cancer cells. Int J Pharm Technol Res 2014;6:1096-9.
32. Dalimunthe A, Harahap U, Rosidah G, Pandapotan NM. Evaluation of diuretic activity of Picria fel-terrae Lour leaves extracts. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2015;8:204-5.
33. Sihotang Y, Silalahi J, Hadisahputra S, Anjelisa P, Satria D. Cardioprotective effect of ethylacetate extract of poguntano (Picria fel-terrae Lour.) against doxorubicin-induced cardiotoxicity in rats. Int J Pharm Clin Res 2016;8:466-70.
34. Harahap U, Husori DI, Marianne, Yuliasmi S, Patilaya P, Laila L, et al. Inhibitory effect of ethanolic extract of Curanga fel-terrae (pugun tano) leaves on acetylcholine muscarinic-3 receptors induced on isolated guinea pig tracheal. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:95-8.
35. Sivakrishnan S, Kottaimuthu A. Hepatoprotective activity of ethanolic extract of aerial parts of Albizia procera Roxb (Benth.) against paracetamol induced liver toxicity on Wistar rats. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6(1):233-8.
36. Freitag AF, Cardia GF, da Rocha BA, Aguiar RP, Silva-Comar FM, Spironello RA, et al. Hepatoprotective effect of silymarin (Silybum marianum) on hepatotoxicity induced by acetaminophen in spontaneously hypertensive rats. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2015;2015:538317.
37. He Q, Kim J, Sharma RP. Silymarin protects against liver damage in BALB/c mice exposed to fumonisin B1 despite increasing accumulation of free sphingoid bases. Toxicol Sci 2004;80(2):335-42.
38. Latha B, Latha MS. Antioxidant and curative effect of Leucas aspera methanolic extract against carbon tetra chloride induced acute liver injury in rats. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013;5(4):374-8.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.