EVALUATION OF DIURETIC ACTIVITY OF PICRIA FEL-TERRAE LOUR LEAVES EXTRACTS
Objective: The aims of this study was to evaluate the diuretic activity of different leaves extract of Picria fel-terrae using n-hexane, ethylacetate and ethanol as solvents.
Methods: The diuretic activity of the extracts were evaluated by determining urine volume and electrolyte (Na+, K+) concentration in male Wistar rats at a various dose extract ofÂ 400 and 800 mg/kg bw. Furosemide (10 mg/kb bw) was used as reference drug and cmc-Na 1% was as normal control.
Results: Urine volume was significan increase by n-hexane extract at dose 800 mg/kg bw in comparison to normal control groups. The excretion of sodium was also increase by the all extract. The n-hexane extract showed better diuretic effect in comparison to other extract.
Conclusion: The leaves extracts of Picria fel-terrae have diuretic activity
Keyword: Picria fel-terrae Lour, diuresis, urine electrolyte
1. Farnsworth NR, Akerele O, Bingel AS, Soejarto DD, Guo ZG. Medicinal plants in therapy. In: The Bulletin of The World Health Organization. Geneva: WHO; 1985. p. 83-97.
2. Nayak BS, Dinda SC, Ellaiah P. Evaluation of diuretic activity of gmelina arborea roxb. Fruit extracts. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2013;6 Suppl 1:111-3.
3. Dutta KN, Chetia P, Lahkar S, Das S. Herbal plants used as diuretics: A comprehensive review. J Pharm Chem Biol Sci 2014;2(1):27-32.
4. Huang Y, Cimanga K, Lasure A, Van Poel B, Pieters L, Berghe-Vanden D, et al. Biological activities of picria fel-terrae Lour. Pharm World Sci Suppl 1994;16(6):18.
5. Thuan ND, Ha do T, Thuong PT, Na MK, Lee JP, Lee JH, et al. A phenylpropanoid glycoside with antioxidant activity from Picria tel-ferae. Arch Pharm Res 2007;30(9):1062-6.
6. Sitorus P, Harahap U, Pandapotan M, Barus T. Isolation of Î²-sitosterol from n-hexane extract of picria fel-terrae lour. Leave and study of its antidiabetic effect in alloxan induced diabetic mice. Int J Pharm Tech Res 2014;6(1):137-41.
7. OECD 420. Guideline for Testing of Chemicals: Acute Oral Toxicity-Fixed Dose Procedure. Paris: OECD; 2001.
8. Asif M, Atif M, Malik AS, Dan ZC, Ahmad I, Ahmad A. Diuretic activity of trianthema portulacastrum crude extract in albino rats. Trop J Pharm Res 2013;12(6):967-72.
9. Sood AR, Bajpai A, Digits M. Pharmacological and biological studies on saponins. Indian J Pharm 1985;17(3):178-9.
10. Rizvi SH, Shoeb A, Kapil RS, Satya PP. Two diuretic triterpenoids from Antiderma menasu. Phytochemistry 1980;19(11):2409-10.
11. Chodera A, Dabrowska K, Sloderbach A, Skrzypczak L, Budzianowski J. Effect of flavonoid fractions of Solidago virgaurea L on diuresis and levels of electrolytes. Acta Pol Pharm 1991;48(5-6):35â€‘7.
12. Patel U, Kulkarni M, Undale V, Bhosale A. Evaluation of diuretic activity of aqueous and methanol extracts of lepidium sativum garden cress (cruciferae) in rats. Trop J Pharm Res 2009;8(3):215-9.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.