ACTIVITY SALIVARY BACTERIA OF ACUTE LYMPHOBLASTIC LEUKEMIA CHILDREN IN CHEMOTHERAPY PHASE
Â Objective: The objective of this study was to investigate the differences activity of salivary Streptococcus mutans bacteria in children suffer acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) in phase of chemotherapy, induction, intensification/consolidation, and maintenance.
Methods: This study was a laboratory observational, and cross-sectional method, conducted 19 ALL children in phase of chemotherapy, induction, intensification/consolidation, and maintenance. 2 mm of dental plaque was collected from mesiobuccal first permanent molar and incubated for 48 h at 37Â°C, and the bacterial activity of S. mutans measured by Cariostat.
Results: Odds ratio analysis among chemotherapy phase of induction, intensification/consolidation, and maintenance is not significant (p>0.05) differences.
Conclusion: The highest activity bacteria of S. mutans were found in the induction phase
2. Gupta M, Dahiya J, Marwaha RK, Dureja H. Therapies in cancer treatment: An overview. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:1-9.
3. Antony A, Joel JJ, Shetty J, Umar NF. Identification and analysis of adverse drug reactions associated with cancer chemotherapy in hospitalized patients. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:448-51.
4. Hunger SP, Lu X, Devidas M, Camitta BM, Gaynon PS, Winick NJ, et al. Improved survival for children and adolescents with acute lymphoblastic leukemia from 1990-2005: A report from the Childrenâ€™s Oncology Group. J Clin Oncol 2012;30:1663-9.
5. Simanjorang C, Kodim N, Tehuteru E. Difference in survival of 5 years old patient with acute lymphoblastic leukemia and acute myeloblastic leukemia in Dharmais Cancer Hospital, Jakarta, 1997-2008. Indones J Cancer 2013;7:15-21
6. Azher U, Shiggaon N. Oral health status of children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia undergoing chemotherapy. Indian J Dent Res 2013;24:523.
7. Rimulo AL, Ferreira MC, Abreu MH, Aguirre-Neto JC, Paiva SM. Chemotherapy-induced oral mucositis in a patient with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia. Eur Arch Paediatr Dent 2011;12:124-7.
8. Ã‡ubukÃ§u Ã‡E, GÃ¼nes AM. Caries experience of leukemic children during intensive course of chemotherapy. J Clin Pediatr Dent 2007;32:155-8.
9. Thibodeau EA, Oâ€™Sullivan DM. Salivary mutans streptococci and caries development in the primary and mixed dentitions of children. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 1999;27:406-12.
10. Thenisch NL, Bachmann LM, Imfeld T, Leisebach Minder T, Steurer J. Are mutans streptococci detected in preschool children a reliable predictive factor for dental caries risk? A systematic review. Caries Res 2006;40:366-74.
11. Widiaskara IM, Permono B, Ugrasena IDG, Ratwita M. Luaran pengobatan fase induksi pasien leukemia limfoblastik akut pada anak di Rumah Sakit Umum Dr. Soetomo Surabaya. Sari Pediatri 2010;12:128-34.
12. Hasle H. Pattern of malignant disorders in individuals with downâ€™s syndrome. Lancet Oncol 2001;2:429-36.
13. Eden T. Aetiology of childhood leukaemia. Cancer Treat Rev 2010;36:286-97.
14. Buffler PA, Kwan ML, Reynolds P, Urayama KY. Environmental and genetic risk factors for childhood leukemia: Appraising the evidence. Cancer Invest 2005;23:60-75.
15. Donadieu J, Auclerc MF, Baruchel A, Leblanc T, Landman-Parker J, Perel Y, et al. Critical study of prognostic factors in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukaemia: Differences in outcome are poorly explained by the most significant prognostic variables. Fralle group. Frech acute lymphoblastic leukemia study group. Br J Haematol 1998;102:729-39.
16. Windiastuti E. Childhood acute leukemia: Cipto Mangunkusumo Hospital experiences. Medan: Presented in Perhimpunan Hematologi dan Transfusi Darah Indonesia; 2011.
17. Yeoh AE, Tan D, Li CK, Hori H, Tse E, Pui CH. Management of adult and paediatric acute lymphoblastic leukaemia in Asia: Resource-stratified guidelines from the Asian Oncology Summit 2013. Lancet Oncol 2013;14:508-23.
18. Cooper SL, Brown PA. Treatment of pediatric acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Pediatr Clin North Am 2015;62:61-73.
19. Cortes JE, Kantarjian HM. Acute lymphoblastic leukemia. A comprehensive review with emphasis on biology and therapy. Cancer 1995;76:2393-417.
20. Pui CH, Evans WE. Acute lymphoblastic leukemia. N Engl J Med 1998;339:605-15.
21. Zhang XL, Komada Y, Chipeta J, Li QS, Inaba H, Azuma E, et al. Intracellular cytokine profile of T cells from children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Cancer Immunol Immunother 2000;49:165-72.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.