ANALYSIS OF ANTIOXIDANT ACTIVITY, TOTAL PHENOLIC CONTENT AND TOTAL FLAVONOID CONTENT OF LANTANA CAMARA LEAVES AND FLOWERS
Â Objective: The present study aims at screening phytochemicals present in Lantana camara leaves and flower extracts.
Methods: Methanolic extracts of leaves and flower of L. camara were prepared by the solvent extraction method. The preliminary qualitative photochemical analysis of leaves and flower extract was done following standard procedures. For quantitative phytochemical screening, total phenolic content (TPC), total flavonoid content (TFC), and free radical scavenging activity of L. camara was estimated.
Results: The preliminary qualitative analysis showed the presence of flavonoids, phenols, terpenoids, anthocyanins, carbohydrates, and proteins in the methanolic extracts of Lantana leaves and flower, while saponins, glycosides, and alkaloids were not detected in both the extracts. Quantitative assays were done for determination of TPC, TFC, and free radical scavenging activity of L. camara. The methanolic extract of Lantana flowers depicted highest TFC (15.76Â±0.005 mg of hydrated catechin equivalent/ml of sample) and TPC (17Â±0.005 mg of Gallic acid equivalents equivalent/ml of sample), while both leaves and flower extracts revealed extortionately high 2, 2-diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl free radical scavenging activity.
Conclusion: The present work depicted that L. camara leaves and flowers are rich in antioxidant activity and have a promising application as nutraceuticals for herbal drug formulations.
2. Khare CP. Indian Medicinal Plants - An Illustrated Dictionary. Berlin: Springer; 2007.
3. Venkatachalam T, Kumar VK, Selvi PK, Maske AO, Anbarasan V, Kumar V. Antidiabetic activity of Lantana camara Linn fruits in normal and streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. J Pharma Res 2011;4:1550-2.
4. Kalita S, Kumar G, Karthik L, Rao KV. A review on medicinal properties of Lantana camara Linn. Res J Phar Tech 2012;5:711-5.
5. Ikram ME, Itmad AE, Jihad HE, Eiman SE. A comparative study of chemical composition of Acacia seyal stem, stem wood and stem bark dry distillates used by sudaneses women as cosmetic and medicine. Int J Phar Pharma Sci 2017;9:218-24.
6. Ahmad F, Rather MA, Siddiqui MA. Nematicidal activity of leaf extracts from Lantana camara L. against Meloidogyne incognita (kofoid and white) chitwood and its use to manage roots infection of Solanum melongena L. Braz Arch Biol Technol 2010;53:538-48.
7. Choyal R, Sharma S. Evaluation of allelopathic effects of Lantana camara (Linn) on regeneration of Pogonatum aloides in culture media. Asian J Plant Sci Res 2011;1:41-8.
8. Goswami-Giri AS, Ingawale GS. Lantana camara (Linn): Green Informatics Approach. Bionano Frontier Eco Revolution 2012. p. 291-94.
9. Sunila AV, Murugan K. Variation in phenolics, flavonoids at different stages of fruit development of Pouteria Campechiana (kunth) baehni and its antioxidant activity. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:70-5.
10. Anand J, Upadhayaya B, Rawat P, Rai N. Biochemical characterization and pharmacognostic evaluation of purified catechins in green tea (Camellia sinensis) cultivars of India. Biotechnology 2015;5:285-94.
11. Santhi S, Sengottuvel R. Qualitative and quantitative phytochemical analysis of Moringa concanensis nimmo. Int J Curr Microbiol App Sci 2016;5:633-40.
12. Baba SA, Malik AA. Determination of total phenolic and flavonoid content, antimicrobial and antioxidant activity of a root extract of Arisaema jacquemontii blume. J Taibah Univ Sci 2015;9:449-54.
13. Sen S, De B, Devanna N, Chakraborty R. Total phenolic, total flavonoid content, and antioxidant capacity of the leaves of Meyna spinosa Roxb., an Indian medicinal plant. Chinese J Nat Med 2013;11:149-57.
14. Villano D, Fernandez-Pachon MS, Moya ML, Troncoso AM, GarcÄ±a Parrilla MC. Radical scavenging ability of polyphenolic compounds towards DPPH free radical. Talanta 2007;71:230.
15. Al-Younis NK, Abdullah AF. Isolation and antibacterial evaluation of plant extracts from some medicinal plants in Kurdistan region. J Duhok Univ 2009;12:250-5.
16. Sousa EO, Costa JG. Genus Lantana: Chemical aspects and biological activities. Braz J Pharma 2012;22:1155-80.
17. Naz R, Bano A. Phytochemical screening, antioxidants and antimicrobial potential of Lantana camara in different solvents. Asian Pac J Trop Dis 2013;3:480-6.
18. Sushama RR. Preliminary phytochemical screening of Lantana camara L., a major invasive species of Kerala, using different solvents. Ann Plant Sci 2017;6:1794-98.
19. Hemalatha P, Elumalai D, Janaki A, Babu M, Velu K, Velayutham K, et al. Larvicidal activity of Lantana camara aculeata against three important mosquito species. J Entomol Zoo Stud 2015;3:174-81.
20. Kumar S, Sandhir R, Ojha S. Evaluation of antioxidant activity and total phenol in different varieties of Lantana camara leaves. BMC Res Notes 2014;7:560.
21. Margeretha I, Suniarti DF, Herda E, Masud ZA. Optimization and comparative study of different extraction methods of biologically active components of Indonesian Propolis trigona spp. J Nat Prod 2012;5:233 42.
22. Rao AS, Reddy SG, Babu PP, Reddy AR. The antioxidant and antiproliferative activities of methanolic extracts from Njavara rice bran. BMC Complement Altern Med 2010;10:4.
23. Cathrine L, Nagarajan NP. Preliminary phytochemical analysis and antibacterial activity of leaf extracts of Vitex leucoxylon L.F. Int J Curr Pharma Res 2010;3:71-3.
24. Sreeja S, Regi RK. Qualitative and quantitative phytochemical analysis and dpph radical scavenging activity of different extracts of flower of Bauhinia acuminata Linn. Int J Curr Pharma Res 2017;9:23-6.
25. Esmaeili AK, Taha RM, Mohajer S, Banisalam B. Antioxidant activity and total phenolic and flavonoid content of various solvent extracts from in vivo and in vitro grown Trifolium pretense L. (Red Clover). Biomed Res Int 2015;2015:11.
26. Salada JT, Balala LM, Vasquez EA. Phytochemical and antibacterial studies of Lantana camara l. leaf fraction and essential oil. Int J Sci Res Pub 2015;5:1-5.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.