THE INHIBITION OF POLYISOPRENOIDS FROM NYPA FRUTICANS LEAVES ON CYCLOOXYGENASE 2 EXPRESSION OF WIDR COLON CANCER CELLS
Objective: The objective of the study was to investigate the inhibitory activity of polyisoprenoids from Nypa fruticans leaves on the expression of cyclooxygenase 2 (COX-2) against colon cancer cells.
Methods: Anticancer activity performed was tested by dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-2,5-diphenyltetrazolium bromide method on colon cancer cell WiDr. The expression of COX-2 was observed by the immunocytochemistry method.
Result: Polyisoprenoids from N. fruticans leaves exhibit anticancer activity on WiDr cells through inhibition of COX-2 expression with IC50 180.186Â±7.16 Î¼g/ml.
Conclusions: This study showed that polyisoprenoids from N. fruticans leaves promise chemopreventive agents for colon cancer through COX-2 inhibition.
2. Favoriti P, Carbone G, Greco M, Pirozzi F, Pirozzi RE, Corcione F. Worldwide burden of colorectal cancer: A review. Updates Surg 2016;68:7-11.
3. Aithal RR, Shetty RS, Binu VS, Mallya SD, Shenoy R, Nair S. Colorectal cancer and its risk factors among patients attending a tertiary care hospital in southern Karnataka, India. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:109-12.
4. Arnold M, Sierra MS, Laversanne M, Soerjomataram I, Jemal A, Bray F. Global patterns and trends in colorectal cancer incidence and mortality. Gut 2016;1-9.
5. Pandev HP, Shukla HS, Prakash K, Tewari M, Pandey A, Singh AK. A discussion on chemoprevention of oral cancer by selective cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) inhibitors. Dig J Nanomater Biostruct 2010;5:285-95.
6. Geisslinger G, Schiffmann S, Maier, TJ, Grosh, S. Cyclooxygenase-2 (COX2) independent anticarcinogenic effect of selective COX-2 inhibitor. J Natl Cancer Inst 2006;98:736-47.
7. Wang D, DuBois RN. Prostaglandins and cancer. Gut 2006;55:115â€“22.
8. Demaria M, Oâ€™Leary MN, Chang J, Shao L, Liu S, Alimirah F, et al. Cellular senescence promotes adverse effects of chemotherapy and cancer relapse. Cancer Discov 2017;7:165-76.
9. Nassar ZD, Aisha AF, Idris N, Ahamed MB, Ismail Z, Abu-Salah KM, et al. Koetjapic acid, a natural triterpenoid, induces apoptosis in colon cancer cells. Oncol Rep 2012;27:727-33.
10. Dixon DA, Blanco FF, Bruno A, Patrignani P. Mechanistic Aspects of COX-2 Expression in Colorectal Neoplasia. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer; 2013. p. 7-37.
11. Prasad N, Yang B, Kong KW, Khoo HE, Sun J, Azlan A, et al. Phytochemicals and antioxidant capacity from Nypa fruticans Wurmb fruit. J Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2013;2013:1-9.
12. Kuznecovs S, Jegina K, Kuznecovs I. Inhibition of P-glycoprotein by polyprenol in human breast cancer cells. Breast 2007;16:515-21.
13. Singh G, Gupta P, Rawat P, Puri A, Bhatia G, Maurya R. Antidyslipidemic activity of polyprenol from Coccinia grandis in high-fat diet fed hamster model. Phytomedicine 2007;14:792-8.
14. Safatov AS, Boldyrev AN, Bulychev LE, Buryak GA, Kukina TP, Poryvaev VD, et al. A prototype prophylactic anti-influenza preparation in aerosol form on the basis of Abies sibirica polyprenols. J Aerosol Med 2005;18:55-62.
15. Basyuni M, Sagami H, Baba S, Iwasaki H, Oku H. Diversity of polyisoprenoid in ten Okinawan mangroves. Dendrobiology 2016;75:167-75.
16. Basyuni M, Sagami H, Baba S, Oku H. Distribution and occurrence of new polyprenyl acetone and other polyisoprenoids in Indonesian mangroves. Dendrobiology 2017;78:18-31.
17. Prabhu VV, Devaraj SN. Natural products from mangrove potent inhibitors of lung cancer. Mal J Biosci 2016;3:23-30.
18. Basyuni M, Wati R, Sagami H, Sumardi S, Baba S, Oku H. Diversity and abundance of polyisoprenoid composition in coastal plant species from North Sumatra, Indonesia. Biodiversitas 2018;19:1-11.
19. Mosmann T. Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: Application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. J Immunol Methods 1983;65:55-63.
20. Galgano MT, Castle PE, Atkins KA, Brix WK, Nassau, SR, Stoler MH. Using biomarkers as objective standards in the diagnosis of cervical biopsies. Am J Surg Pathol 2010;34:1077.
21. Arsianti A, Fatmawaty F, Wibisono LK, Azizah NN, Putrianingsih R, Kusmardi S, et al. Phytochemical composition and anticancer activity of seaweeds Ulva lactuca and Eucheuma cottonii against breast MCF-7 and colon HCT-116 cells. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:115-9.
22. Ahmed M, Hussain AR, Siraj AK, Uddin S, Al-Sanea N, Al-Dayel F, et al. Co-targeting of Cyclooxygenase-2 and FoxM1 is a viable strategy in inducing anticancer effects in colorectal cancer cells. Mol Cancer 2015;14:131.
23. Yang H, Yin P, Shi Z, Ma Y, Zhao C, Zheng J, et al. Sinomenine, a COX-2 inhibitor, induces cell cycle arrest and inhibits growth of human colon carcinoma cells in vitro and in vivo. Oncol Lett 2016;11:411-8.
24. Ghosh N, Chaki R, Mandal V, Mandal SC. COX-2 as a target for cancer chemotherapy. Pharmacol Rep 2010;62:233-44.
25. Samarakoon SR, Shanmuganathan C, Ediriweera MK, Piyathilaka P, Tennekoon KH, Thabrew I. Screening of fifteen mangrove plants found in Sri Lanka for in-vitro cytotoxic properties on breast (MCF-7) and hepatocellular carcinoma (HepG2). Eur J Med Plants 2016;14:1-11.
26. Huang M, Lu JJ, Huang MQ, Bao JL, Chen XP, Wang YT. Terpenoids: Natural products for cancer therapy. Exp Opin Investig Drugs 2012;21:1801-18.
27. Petronelli A, Pannitteri G, dan Testa U. Triterpenoids as new promising anticancer drugs. Pub Med 2009;20:880-92.
28. Appendino G, Maxia L, Bascope M, Houghton PJ, Sanchez- Duffhues G, MuÃ±oz E, et al. A meroterpenoid NF-ÎºB inhibitor and drimane sesquiterpenoids from asafetida. J Nat Prod 2006;69:1101-4.
29. Leahy KM, Ornberg RL, Wang Y, Zweifel BS, Koki AT, Masferrer JL. Cyclooxygenase-2 inhibition by celecoxib reduces proliferation and induces apoptosis in angiogenic endothelial cells in vivo.Cancer Res 2002;62:625-31.
30. Brown JR, DuBois RN. COX-2: A molecular target for colorectal cancer prevention. J Clin Oncol 2005;23:2840-55.
31. Fukuda R, Kelly B, Semenza GL. Vascular endothelial growth factor gene expression in colon cancer cells exposed to prostaglandin E2 is mediated by hypoxia-inducible factor 1. Cancer Res 2003;63:2330-4.
32. Wal P, Wal A, Sharma G, Rai A. Biological activities of lupeol. Sys Rev Pharm 2011;2:96-103.
33. Kaur L, Joseph L, George M. Phytochemical analysis of leaf extract of Aesculus indica. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2011;3:232-4.
34. Soujanya J, Silambujanaki P, Krishna VL. Anticancer efficacy of Holoptelea integrifolia, Planch. against 7, 12-dimethyl benz (a) anthracene induced breast carcinoma in experimental rats. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2011;3:103-6.
35. Ragasa CY, Ebajo VD Jr., Mariquit M, Emelina H, Mandia RB, Urban S. Triterpenes and sterols from Sonneratia alba. Int J Curr Pharm Rev Res 2015;6:256-61.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.