ANTIOXIDANT AND HEPATOPROTECTIVE EFFECTS OF VIRGIN COCONUT OIL AT MAXIMUM PHYSICAL ACTIVITY
Objective: The purpose of this study was to determine the protective effects of virgin coconut oil (VCO) treatment on hepatic oxidative stress and antioxidant defenses after maximum physical activity.
Methods: This study used 24 healthy male rats. The rats were divided into four groups randomly consisted of six rats in each group. The control group (P0) was given 2 mL water, the treatment groups (VCO-1, VCO-2, and VCO-4) were given VCO 1 ml/200 g BW, 2 ml/200 g BW, and 4 ml/200 g BW, respectively, per day using gavage spuit. The rats were trained to swim for a month, 30 min/day in the 1st week, 35 min/day in the 2nd week, 40 min/ day in the 3rd week, and 45 min/day in the 4th week. After 28 days, the rats were forced to perform the maximal activity by putting the rats in water with no exit. Blood samples were collected immediately after the maximum physical activity, and then, all rats were killed and liver tissues were collected. The malondialdehyde (MDA), glutathione peroxidase (GPx), and serum glutamic-oxaloacetic transaminase and serum glutamic-pyruvate transaminase level were then measured.
Results: VCO increased swimming time to exhaustion, levels of GPx in the liver, which were accompanied by corresponding decreases in the MDA, alanine transaminase, and aspartate transaminase content.
Conclusion: The results from this study indicate that VCO is effective in the prevention of oxidative stress following maximum physical activity.
2. Imayama I, Alfano CM, Mason CE, Wang C, Xiao L, Duggan C, et al. Exercise adherence, cardiopulmonary fitness and anthropometric changes improve exercise self-efficacy and health-related quality of life. J Phys Act Health 2013;10:676-89.
3. Powers SK, Ji LL, Kavazis AN, Jackson MJ. Reactive oxygen species: Impact on skeletal muscle. Compr Physiol 2011;1:941-69.
4. Lin Y, Liu HL, Fang J, Yu CH, Xiong YK, Yuan K, et al. Anti-fatigue and vasoprotective effects of quercetin-3-O-gentiobiose on oxidative stress and vascular endothelial dysfunction induced by endurance swimming in rats. Food Chem Toxicol 2014;68:290-6.
5. Echtay KS, Roussel D, St-Pierre J, Jekabsons MB, Cadenas S, Stuart JA, et al. Superoxide activates mitochondrial uncoupling proteins. Nature 2002;415:96-9.
6. Daniel RM, Stelian S, Dragomir C. The effect of acute physical exercise on the antioxidant status of the skeletal and cardiac muscle in the Wistar rat. Rom Biotechnol Lett 2010;15:56-61.
7. Wang L, Zhang HL, Lu R, Zhou YJ, Ma R, Lv JQ, et al. The decapeptide CMS001 enhances swimming endurance in mice. Peptides 2008;29:1176-82.
8. Lyle N, Gomes A, Sur T, Munshi S, Paul S, Chatterjee S, et al. The role of antioxidant properties of nardostachys jatamansi in alleviation of the symptoms of the chronic fatigue syndrome. Behav Brain Res 2009;202:285-90.
9. Sholikhah AM, Wirjatmadi B, Adriani M. Effects of purple sweet potatoes on oxidative stress biomarkers in rats subjected to exhaustive exercise. Health Notions 2018;2:174-7.
10. Yunarsa IP, Adiatmika IP. Levels of antioxidant superoxide dismutase (SOD) rat liver in heavy physical activity. J Med Udayana 2018;7:143-7.
11. Dröge W. Free radicals in the physiological control of cell function. Physiol Rev 2002;82:47-95.
12. Chevion S, Moran DS, Heled Y, Shani Y, Regev G, Abbou B, et al. Plasma antioxidant status and cell injury after severe physical exercise. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2003;100:5119-23.
13. Pettersson J, Hindorf U, Persson P, Bengtsson T, Malmqvist U, Werkström V, et al. Muscular exercise can cause highly pathological liver function tests in healthy men. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2008;65:253-9.
14. Amah UK, Okoli SN, Ogbodo EC, Ezeugwunne IP, Analike RA, Onuegbu AJ, et al. Effect of short-term aerobic exercise on liver function of students college of health sciences and technology, nnamdiazikiwe university, nnewi campus, Anambra state, Nigeria. Glob Sci J 2017;5:67-77.
15. Sutarmi, Rozaline H. Taklukkan Penyakit Dengan VCO. Jakarta: Penebar Swadaya; 2006.
16. Vysakh A, Ratheesh M, Rajmohanan TP, Pramod C, Premlal S, Girish Kumar B, et al. Polyphenolics isolated from virgin coconut oil inhibits adjuvant induced arthritis in rats through antioxidant and anti-inflammatory action. Int Immunopharmacol 2014;20:124-30.
17. Voon PT, Ng TK, Lee VK, Nesaretnam K. Virgin olive oil, palm olein, and coconut oil diets do not raise cell adhesion molecules and thrombogenicity indices in healthy Malaysian adults. Eur J Clin Nutr 2015;69:712-6.
18. Nevin KG, Rajamohan T. Beneficial effects of virgin coconut oil on lipid parameters and in vitro LDL oxidation. Clin Biochem 2004;37:830-5.
19. Babu AS, Veluswamy SK, Arena R, Guazzi M, Lavie CJ. Virgin coconut oil and its potential cardioprotective effects. Postgrad Med 2014;126:76-83.
20. Shilling M, Matt L, Rubin E, Visitacion MP, Haller NA, Grey SF, et al. Antimicrobial effects of virgin coconut oil and its medium-chain fatty acids on Clostridium difficile. J Med Food 2013;16:1079-85.
21. Silalahi J, Permata YM, Putra ED. Antibacterial activity of hydrolyzed virgin coconut oil. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2014;7:90-4.
22. Elysa, Harahap U, Silalahi J. Antibacterial activity of enzymatic hydrolysis of virgin coconut oil against Salmonella. Int J PharmTech Res 2014;6:589-99.
23. Hayatullina Z, Muhammad N, Mohamed N, Soelaiman IN. Virgin coconut oil supplementation prevents bone loss in osteoporosis rat model. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2012;2012:237236.
24. Zakaria ZA, Rofiee MS, Somchit MN, Zuraini A, Sulaiman MR, Teh LK, et al. Hepatoprotective activity of dried- and fermented-processed virgin coconut oil. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2011;2011:142739.
25. Zakaria ZA, Somchit MN, Mat Jais AM, Teh LK, Salleh MZ, Long K, et al. In vivo antinociceptive and anti-inflammatory activities of dried and fermented processed virgin coconut oil. Med Princ Pract 2011;20:231-6.
26. Cardoso DA, Moreira AS, de Oliveira GM, Raggio Luiz R, Rosa G. A coconut extra virgin oil-rich diet increases HDL cholesterol and decreases waist circumference and body mass in coronary artery disease patients. Nutr Hosp 2015;32:2144-52.
27. Hu Yang I, De la Rubia Ortí JE, Selvi Sabater P, Sancho Castillo S, Rochina MJ, Manresa Ramón N, et al. Coconut oil: Non-alternative drug treatment against Alzheimer’s disease. Nutr Hosp 2015;32:2822-7.
28. Huang WC, Chiu WC, Chuang HL, Tang DW, Lee ZM, Wei L, et al. Effect of curcumin supplementation on physiological fatigue and physical performance in mice. Nutrients 2015;7:905-21.
29. Kan NW, Huang WC, Lin WT, Huang CY, Wen KC, Chiang HM, et al. Hepatoprotective effects of Ixora parviflora extract against exhaustive exercise-induced oxidative stress in mice. Molecules 2013;18:10721-32.
30. Narkhede AN, Jagtap SD, Nirmal PS, Giramkar SA, Nagarkar BE, Kulkarni OP, et al. Anti-fatigue effect of samarkand on endurance exercise capacity in rats. Complement Altern Med 2016;16:1-7.
31. Roohi BN, Moradlou AN, Bolboli L. Influence of curcumin supplementation on exercise-induced oxidative stress. Asian J Sports Med 2017;8:e35776.
32. Srivastava Y, Semwal AD, Majumdar A, Yildiz F. Quantitative and qualitative analysis of bioactive components present in virgin coconut oil. Cogent Food Agric 2016;2:1164929.
33. Manikandan A, Meera R, Kannan E. Formulation and storage stability of beta carotene enriched Vitamin D3 and omega 3 fortified cold pressed virgin coconut oil. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:112-6.
34. Man YC, Manaf MA. Medium-chain triacylglycerols. In: FereidoonS, editor. Nutraceutical and Specialty Lipids and Their Co-Products. New York: Taylor and Francis Group; 2006. p. 27-8, 33.
35. Silalahi J, Pertiwi D, Dalimunthe A, Silalahi YC. Effect of acute consumption of coconut and palm oil on swimming capacity endurance of mice (Mus musculus). Int J PharmTech Res 2015;8:55-9.
36. Rowell LB, Blackmon JR, Bruce RA. Indocyanine green clearance and estimated hepatic blood flow during mild to maximal exercise in upright man. J Clin Invest 1964;43:1677-90.
37. Duan FF, Guo Y, Li JW, Yuan K. Antifatigue effect of luteolin-6- C-neohesperidoside on oxidative stress injury induced by forced swimming of rats through modulation of nrf2/ARE signaling pathways. Oxid Med Cell Longev 2017;2017:3159358.
38. Dosumu OO, Duru FI, Osinubi AA, Oremosu AA, Noronha CC. Influence of virgin coconut oil (VCNO) on oxidative stress, serum testosterone and gonadotropic hormones (FSH, LH) in chronic ethanol ingestion. Agric Biol J N Am 2010;1:1126-32.
39. Yeap SK, Beh BK, Ali NM, Yusof HM, Ho WY, Koh SP, et al. Antistress and antioxidant effects of virgin coconut oil in vivo. Exp Ther Med 2015;9:39-42.
40. Nur’azimatul QH, Norhayati A. Protective and antidiabetic effects of virgin coconut oil (VCO) on blood glucose concentration in alloxan induced diabetics rats. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:57-60.
41. Nevin KG, Rajamohan T. Virgin coconut oil supplemented diet increased the antioxidant status in rats. Food Chem 2006;99:260-6.
42. Nandakumaran M, Al-Sarraf H, Al-Fadhli R, Al-Shammari M, Al- Harmi J, Al-Saleh E. Effect of oral administration of coconut oil on hematological and metabolic parameters in female adult rats. Nutr Ther Metab 2009;27:183-8.
43. Iranloye B, Oludare G, Olubiyi M. Anti-diabetic and antioxidant effects of virgin coconut oil in alloxan-induced diabetic male sprague dawley rats. J Diabetes Mellit 2013;3:221-6.
44. Bach AC, Babayan VK. Medium-chain triglycerides: An update. Am J Clin Nutr 1982;36:950-62.
45. Fushiki T, Matsumoto K, Inoue K, Kawada T, Sugimoto E. Swimming endurance capacity of mice is increased by chronic consumption of medium chain triglycerides. J Jpn Inst Nutr 1994;22:531-9.
46. Rofiee MS, Zakaria ZA, Somchit MN, Zuraini A, Arifah AK, Teh LK, et al. Involvement of CYP450 system in hepatoprotective activity of Malaysian agricultural research and development institute (MARDI) produced virgin coconut oils. Afr J Pharm Pharmacol 2011;5:2526-36.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.