THE ANTIBACTERIAL POTENTIAL OF N-ACETYLCYSTEINE AS AN ENDODONTIC IRRIGANT ON THE CLINICAL ISOLATES OF THE ENTEROCOCCUS FAECALIS BIOFILM
Objective: The aim of this study was to evaluate the antibacterial potential of NAC as an endodontic irrigant on the clinical isolates of the Enterococcus faecalis biofilm.
Methods: NAC with a pH of 2.5 and 11 (NAC pH 2.5 and NAC pH 11, respectively) were exposed to clinical isolates of E. faecalis biofilms for 1 min. The NAC samples were compared to 2% chlorhexidine (CHX), which is commonly used as an irrigant in persistent infections. The antibacterial potential of these irrigants was evaluated by comparing the bacterial count of the E. faecalis colonies after they were exposed to the irrigants.
Results: The NAC pH 2.5 test group showed a reduction in the E. faecalis colonies, but this reduction was not statistically significant when compared to the 2% CHX group results. The NAC pH 11 test group showed the greatest reduction in bacterial colonies, and this reduction was statistically significant when compared to the NAC pH 2.5 and 2% CHX groups' results.
Conclusion: NAC pH 11 has antibacterial potential on the clinical isolates of E. faecalis biofilms.
2. Baumgartner JC, Siqueira JF, Christine MS, Kishen A. Microbiology of endodontic disease. In: Ingle JI, Bakland LK, Baumgartner JC, editors. Ingleâ€™s Endodontics. 6th ed. Shelton: Peopleâ€™s Medical Publishing House; 2008. p. 221-308.
3. Saber Sel-D, El-Hady SA. Development of an intracanal mature Enterococcus faecalis biofilm and its susceptibility to some antimicrobial intracanal medications; An in vitro study. Eur J Dent 2012;6:43-50.
4. Weckwerth PH, Zapata RO, Vivan RR, Tanomaru Filho M, Maliza AG, Duarte MA. In vitro alkaline pH resistance of Enterococcus faecalis. Braz Dent J 2013;24:474-6.
5. Fernandes SC, Dhanashree B. Drug resistance and virulence determinants in clinical isolates of Enterococcus species. Indian J Med Res 2013;137:981-5.
6. Haapasalo M, Shen Y, Qian W, Gao Y. Irrigation in endodontics. Dent Clin North Am 2010;54:291-312.
7. Chandrappa PM, Dupper A, Tripathi P, Arroju R, Sharma P, Sulochana K. Antimicrobial activity of herbal medicines (tulsi extract, neem extract) and CHX against Enterococcus faecalis in endodontics: An in vitro study. J Int Soc Prev Community Dent 2015;5 Suppl 2:S89-92.
8. Faria G, Cardoso CR, Larson RE, Silva JS, Rossi MA. CHX-induced apoptosis or necrosis in L929 fibroblasts: A role for endoplasmic reticulum stress. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 2009;234:256-65.
9. VÃ¶rÃ¶s P, Dobrindt O, Perka C, Windisch C, Matziolis G, RÃ¶hner E. Human osteoblast damage after antiseptic treatment. Int Orthop 2014;38:177-82.
10. Makipour K, Friedenberg FK. The potential role of N-acetylcysteine for the treatment of Helicobacter pylori. J Clin Gastroenterol 2011;45:841-3.
11. POM D. Farmakope Indonesia. IV. Jakarta: Departemen Kesehatan R.I; 1995. p. 176-7.
12. Casanova T, Garigliany M. N-acetylcysteine: An old drug with variable anti-influenza properties. J Controv Biomed Res 2016;2:1-8.
13. Yamada M, Tsukimura N, Ikeda T, Sugita Y, Att W, Kojima N, et al. N-acetyl cysteine as an osteogenesis-enhancing molecule for bone regeneration. Biomaterials 2013;34:6147-56.
14. Mayer M, Noble M. N-acetyl-L-cysteine is a pluripotent protector against cell death and enhancer of trophic factor-mediated cell survival in vitro. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1994;91:7496-500.
15. Quah SY, Wu S, Lui JN, Sum CP, Tan KS. N-acetylcysteine inhibits growth and eradicates biofilm of Enterococcus faecalis. J Endod 2012;38:81-5.
16. Darrag AM. Antimicrobial efficacy of endodontic irrigation solutions against planktonic microorganisms and dual-species biofilm. Tanta Dent J 2013;10:129-37.
17. Cindy H, Rene H, Sergio G, Diana R. Rifampicin and N-acteylcisteyne inhibit oral bacterial growth and biofilm formation. Pharm Innov J 2013;2:16-23.
18. Ayu NP, Bachtiar BM, Akbar SS, Victor A. Quantitative real-time PCR of cps Type 1,2 and 5 of Enterococcus faecalis and Candida albicans isolated from infected root canal of subject requiring edodontic treatment. J Int Dent Med Res 2016;9:157-63.
19. Kwasny SM, Opperman TJ. Static biofilm cultures of Gram-positive pathogens grown in a microtiter format used for anti-biofilm drug discovery. Curr Protoc Pharmacol 2010;Chapter 13:Unit 13A.8.
20. Uroz-Torres D, GonzÃ¡lez-RodrÃguez MP, Ferrer-Luque CM. Effectiveness of the endoactivator system in removing the smear layer after root canal instrumentation. J Endod 2010;36:308-11.