ROOT COVERAGE USING THE SUBEPITHELIAL CONNECTIVE TISSUE GRAFT OR THE ACELLULAR DERMAL MATRIX FOR THE TREATMENT OF GINGIVAL RECESSION: A CLINICAL STUDY
Objective: This study aims to evaluate periodontal clinical conditions after treatment for gingival recession (GR) using subepithelial connective tissue graft (SCTG) and acellular dermal matrix (ADM).
Methods: Ten patients with Millerâ€™s ClassÂ I and II recessions that had been treated with SCTG or ADM at the Periodontics Outpatient Department at Universitas Indonesia were selected for this study. The pre-operative data for GR, clinical attachment levels (CAL), and attached gingiva (AG) were retrieved from the patientsâ€™ medical records. The patients were recalled and the post-operative data were recorded.
Results: The application of SCTG and ADM yields significant changes to GR, CAL, and AG levels. AÂ comparison of two groups at the post-operative assessment stage showed no statistically significant differences, in terms of GR, CAL, and AG.Conclusion: SCTG and ADM yield similar outcomes in the treatment of GR. As such, ADM may be suggested as an alternative to SCTG for root coverage.
2. Nguyen-Hieu T, Ha Thi BD, Do Thu H, Tran Giao H. Gingival recession associated with predisposing factors in young vietnamese: A pilot study. Oral Health Dent Manage 2012;11:134-44.
3. Cortellini P, Pini Prato G. Coronally advanced flap and combination therapy for root coverage. Clinical strategies based on scientific evidence and clinical experience. Periodontol 2000 2012;59:158-84.
4. Mahajan A, Bharadwaj A, Mahajan P. Comparison of periosteal pedicle graft and subepithelial connective tissue graft for the treatment of gingival recession defects. Aust Dent J 2012;57:51-7.
5. Thomas LJ, Emmadi P, Thyagarajan R, Namasivayam A. A comparative clinical study of the efficacy of subepithelial connective tissue graft and acellular dermal matrix graft in root coverage: 6-month follow-up observation. J Indian Soc Periodontol 2013;17:478-83.
6. Dhir V, Jha AK. Microsurgical treatment of gingival recession by subepithelial connective tissue graft: A case report. Med J Armed Forces India 2011;67:293-5.
7. Shori T, Kolte A, Kher V, Dharamthok S, Shrirao T. A comparative evaluation of the effectiveness of subpedicle acellular dermal matrix allograft with subepithelial connective tissue graft in the treatment of isolated marginal tissue recession: A clinical study. J Indian Soc Periodontol 2013;17:78-81.
8. Shah H, Metha R, Desai K, Duseja S, Kumar S. Advances in gingival augmentation techniques-a literature review. Adv Hum Biol 2013;3:1-7.
9. Deeb GR, Deeb JG. Soft tissue grafting around teeth and implants. Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am 2015;27:425-48.
10. Moslemi N, Mousavi Jazi M, Haghighati F, Morovati SP, Jamali R. Acellular dermal matrix allograft versus subepithelial connective tissue graft in treatment of gingival recessions: A 5-year randomized clinical study. J Clin Periodontol 2011;38:1122-9.
11. Batista EL Jr, Goergen JE, Machado LL, Santayana de Lima EM. Unexpected soft tissue changes in response to root coverage using an acellular dermal matrix allograft: 12-Year follow up. J Can Dent Assoc 2014;80:e66.
12. Guan W, Liao H, Guo L, Wang C, Cao Z. Root coverage using a coronally advanced flap with or without acellular dermal matrix: A meta-analysis. J Periodontal Implant Sci 2016;46:22-34.
13. Tatakis DN, Chambrone L, Allen EP, Langer B, McGuire MK, Richardson CR, et al. Periodontal soft tissue root coverage procedures: A consensus report from the AAP regeneration workshop. J Periodontol 2015;86 2 Suppl:52-5.
14. Dani S, Dhage A, Gundannavar G. The pouch and tunnel technique for management of multiple gingival recession defects. J Indian Soc Periodontol 2014;18:776-80.
15. Girouard ME. Root Coverage Comparing Acellular Dermal Matrix to Connective Tissue Graft Using the Coronally Positioned Tunnel Technique [Thesis]. Louisville, (KY): University of Louisville; 2011.
16. Cummings LC, Kaldahl WB, Allen EP. Histologic evaluation of autogenous connective tissue and acellular dermal matrix grafts in humans. J Periodontol 2005;76:178-86.
17. Taiyeb Ali TB, Shapeen IM, Ahmed HB, Javed F. Efficacy of acellular dermal matrix and autogenous connective tissue grafts in the treatment of gingival recession defects among Asians. J Investig Clin Dent 2015;6:125-32.
18. Silc JT, Petrungaro PS. Acellular dermal matrix grafts for root coverage procedures: Review of products and introduction of a new technique. Compend Contin Educ Dent 2013;34:408-14.
19. Richardson CR, Allen EP, Chambrone L, Langer B, McGuire MK, Zabalegui I, et al. Periodontal soft tissue root coverage procedures: Practical applications from the AAP regeneration workshop. Clin Adv Period 2015;5:2-10.
20. Barros RR, Macedo GO, de Queiroz AC, Novaes AB Jr. A modified surgical flap for root coverage in association with grafting materials. J Esthet Restor Dent 2015;27:84-91.
21. Rotaru M, MÃ¢r S. Clinical and complementary evaluation of the healing process in plastic muco-gingival surgery. Int J Med Dent 2009;13:88-93.
22. Chambrone L, Chambrone LA, Frias EG, Gonzalez MA, Mancini E, Mendoza G, et al. Rationale for the surgical treatment of single and multiple recession-type defects. In: Chambrone L, editor. Evidence-Based Periodontal and Peri-Implant Plastic Surgery: A Clinical Roadmap from Function to Aesthetics. Basel, Switzerland: Springer Intern Publ.; 2015. p. 45-146.
23. Chambrone L, Tatakis DN. Periodontal soft tissue root coverage procedures: A systematic review from the AAP regeneration workshop. J Periodontol 2015;86 2 Suppl: S8-51.
24. Kasaj A. Gingival recession coverage: Do we still need autogenous grafts? Quintessence Int 2016;47:775-83.
25. Lai PC, Greenwell H. Root coverage procedures for multiple recession defects. Curr Oral Heal Rep Curr Oral Health Rep 2017;4:97-104.
26. Leong DJ, Wang HL. A decision tree for soft tissue grafting. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent 2011;31:307-13.