EFFECT OF HERBAL TOOTHPASTE CONTAINING NEEM LEAVES EXTRACT (AZADIRACHTA INDICA) AGAINST GINGIVITIS: A CLINICAL STUDY
Objective: Neem leaves are known to have antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antiseptic, antitumor, antihyperglycemic, antiulcer, and
antiviral effects. In addition, they can reduce the counts of plaque-forming bacteria in the oral cavity. This study aimed to evaluate the effect of an
herbal toothpaste containing neem leaves extract against gingivitis.
Methods: A total of 40 subjects were divided into two groups (n=20 each): Experimental and control. Those in the test group were instructed to brush
their teeth twice a day for 7 days with neem leaves extract toothpaste, whereas the control group subjects were asked to continue with the non-herbal
paste they used for tooth brushing. Plaque index (PI) and papillary bleeding index (PBI) were measured on day 0 and day 7.
Results: Significant reductions in PI and PBI were noted between the test and control groups.
Conclusion: The findings of this clinical study provide evidence that neem leaf extracts are effective in reducing gingivitis.
Jakarta: Ministry of Health, Republic of Indonesia; 2011.
Fig. 1: Comparison diagram of plaque indeks score before and
after use of toothpaste in control and test group
Fig. 2: Comparison diagram of pbi score before and after use of
toothpaste in control and test group
Int J App Pharm, Vol 11, Special Issue 1, 2019
Sugiarta et al.
The 3rd International Conference on Global Health (ICGH), Universitas Indonesia, Bali, Indonesia 119
2. John NM. Classification of disease and conditions affecting the
periodontium. In: Newman MG, Takei HH, Carranza FA, editors.
Clinical Periodontology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, PA: W.B. Saunders Co.;
2006. p. 100-4.
3. Allen DL, McFall WT, Hunter GC. Periodontics for Dental Hygienist.
2nd ed. Great Britain: Lea and Febiger; 1986. p. 60-86.
4. Grant DA, Stern IB, Everett FG. Orban’s Periodontics a Concept-
Theory and Practice. London: C.V Mosby Co.; 1972. p. 28-35.
5. Pratiwi R. Differences in the inhibitory power of Streptococcus mutans
from herbal toothpaste. Majalah Kedokt Gigi 2005;38:64-7.
6. Davies R, Scully C, Preston AJ. Dentifrices-an update. Med Oral Patol
Oral Cir Bucal 2010;15:e976-82.
7. Furgang D, Sreenivasan PK, Zhang YP, Fine DH, Cummins D. The
effects of a new therapeutic triclosan/copolymer/sodium-fluoride
dentifrice on oral bacteria, including odorigenic species. Compend
Contin Educ Dent 2003;24:14-9.
8. Tsyarini E, Rusmana D, Widya. Comparison of the Effectiveness of
Herbal Toothpaste and Nonherbal Toothpaste in Inhibiting the Growth
of Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus ?-hemoliticus and Candida
albicans in vitro. [In Indonesia]. [Thesis]. Faculty of Dentistry,
Universitas Maranatha; 2003. p. 1-27.
9. Girish K, Shankara SB. Neem-a green treasure. Electron J Biol
10. Botelho MA, dos Santos RA, Martins JG, Carvalho CO, Paz MC,
Azenha C, et al. Efficacy of a mouthrinse based on leaves of the neem
tree (Azadirachta indica) in the treatment of patients with chronic
gingivitis: A double blind, randomized, controlled trial. J Med Plant
11. Masluhiya S. Pemanfaatan Daun Mimba (Azadirachta indica); 2011.
Available from: http://www.jamu.biologi.ub.ac.id/?page_id=397.
12. Saradhajyoti K, Subbarao B. Antibacterial potential of extract of the
leaves of Azadirachta indica Linn. Not Sci Biol 2011;3:65-9.
13. Carranza FA, Rapley JW. Clinical features of gingivitis. In: Carranza FA,
Newman MG, Takei HH, editors. Carranza’s Clinical Periodontology.
9th ed. Toronto: WB. Saunders Co.; 2002. p. 269-77.
14. Markou E, Eleana B, Lazaros T, Antonios K. The influence of sex
steroid hormones on gingiva of women. Open Dent J 2009;3:114-9.
15. Chatterjee A, Saluja M, Singh N, Kandwal A. To evaluate the
antigingivitis and antipalque effect of an Azadirachta indica (Neem)
mouthrinse on plaque induced gingivitis: A double-blind, randomized,
controlled trial. J Indian Soc Periodontol 2011;15:398-401.
16. Wolinsky LE, Mania S, Nachnani S, Ling S. The inhibiting effect of
aqueous Azadirachta indica (Neem) extract upon bacterial properties
influencing in vitro plaque formation. J Dent Res 1996;75:816-22.
17. Bhat PK, Badiyani BK, Sarkar S, Chengappa S, Bhaskar NN.
Effectiveness of antimicrobial solutions on Streptococcus mutans in
used toothbrushes. World J Dent 2012;3:6-10.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.