ANTIBACTERIAL EFFECT OF VIRGIN COCONUT OIL ON THE VIABILITY OF CHROMOGENIC BACTERIA THAT CAUSES DENTAL BLACK STAIN IN CHILDREN
Introduction: Virgin coconut oil (VCO) is a natural antibacterial agent with the ability to kill microorganisms whose cell membranes contain lipids, including Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria, such as Actinomyces sp. and Prevotella spp. No study on the antibacterial effects of VCO on the chromogenic bacteria that causes dental black stains.
Objective: To analyze the effects of VCO, which administered in various concentrations to Actinomyces sp. and Prevotella sp.
Methods: Actinomyces sp. and Prevotella sp. were isolated from the dental plaque of a child diagnosed with black stain. Each streak of bacteria was cultured on a selective medium and confirmed visually and through Gram staining. Each bacterial culture was exposed to VCO in concentrations of 12.5%, 25%, 50%, and 100%. Afterward, viability testing with a methyl-thiazolyl-tetrazolium assay was conducted, and the results were read using an Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay reader.
Results: The administration of 12.5% VCO reduced bacterial viability; however, 25% VCO significantly reduced the viability of Actinomyces sp. and 100% VCO significantly reduced the viability of Prevotella sp.
Conclusion: Actinomyces sp. is more sensitive to VCO than Prevotella sp.
2. Newman MG, Takei HH, Carranza FA. Carranzaâ€™s Clinical Periodontology. New York: Elsevier; 2002. p. 188.
3. Brook AH, Smith RN, Lath DJ. The clinical measurement of tooth colour and stain. Int Dent J 2007;57:324-30.
4. Addy M, Moran J. Mechanisms of stain formation on teeth in particular associated with metal ions and antiseptics. Adv Dent Res 1995;9:450-6.
5. Zyla T, Kawala B, Antoszewska-Smith J, Kawala M. Black stain and dental caries: a review of the literature. Biomed Res Int 2015;2015:469392.
6. Ronay V, Attin T. Black stain-a review. Oral Health Prev Dent 2011;9:37-45.
7. Rustan Y. Kuantitas Bakteri Actinomyces Sp Di Saliva Anak Dengan Black Stain Pada Permukaan Email Gigi, Thesis, Universitas Indonesia; 2012. p. 22-2.
8. Sella. Kadar Ferum Dalam Saliva Pada Anak Dengan Dental Black Stain, Thesis, Universitas Indonesia; 2012. p. 16-22.
9. Jeffrey AD, McDonald RE. Dentistry for the Child and Adolescent. St Louis: C.V. Mosby Elsevier; 2011.
10. Wilkins EM. Clinical Practice of the Dental Hygienist. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams ans Wilkins; 2005. p. 316-7.
11. Slots J. The microflora of black stain on human primary teeth. Scand J Dent Res 1974;82:484-90.
hydrolized virgin coconut oil. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2014;7:90-4.
14. Batovska DI, Todorova IT, Tsvetkova IV, Najdenski HM. Antibacterial study of the medium chain fatty acids and their 1-monoglycerides: Individual effects and synergistic relationships. Pol J Microbiol 2009;58:43-7.
15. Hasrianti E. Pengaruh Virgin Coconut Oil (VCO) Hasil Fermentasi Terhadap Pertumbuhan Dan Profil Protein Streptococcus mutans Serotipe C Secara in Vitro, Essay, Universitas Indonesia; 2007. p. 23-9.
16. Li Y, Zhang Q, Zhang F, Liu R, Liu H, Chen F. Analysis of the microbiota of black stain in the primary dentition. PLoS One 2015;10:e0137030.
17. Peedikayil FC, Sreenivasan P, Narayanan A. Effect of coconut oil in plaque related gingivitis-a preliminary report. Niger Med J 2015;56:143-7.
18. Terry L, Richard A, Andrew L, Duellmann S, Helene AB, Tracy JW, et al. Cell viability assays. Assay Guidance Manual. USA: National Library of Medicine; 2013.
19. Ahmadian S, Barar J, Saei AA, Fakhree MA, Omidi Y. Cellular toxicity of nanogenomedicine in MCF-7 cell line: MTT assay. J Vis Exp 2009;26:1191.
20. Mah TF, Oâ€™Toole GA. Mechanisms of biofilm resistance to antimicrobial agents. Trends Microbiol 2001;9:34-9.
21. Kim JE, Kim HE, Hwang JK, Lee HJ, Kwon HK, Kim BI. Antibacterial characteristics of Curcuma xanthorrhiza extract on Streptococcus mutans biofilm. J Microbiol 2008;46:228-32.
23. Guilhelmelli F, Vilela N, Albuquerque P, Derengowski Lda S, Silva-Pereira I, Kyaw CM. Antibiotic development challenges: the various mechanisms of action of antimicrobial peptides and of bacterial resistance. Front Microbiol 2013;4:353.
24. Sopiyudin D. Statistik Untuk Kedokteran dan Kesehatan. 6th ed. Jakarta: Epidemiologi Indonesia; 2014.
25. Aronson JK. Concentration-effect and dose-response relations in clinical pharmacology. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2007;63:255-7.
26. Ronanki S, Kulkarni S, Hemalatha R, Kumar M, Reddy P. Efficacy of commercially available chlorhexidine mouthrinses against specific oral microflora. Indian J Dent Res 2016;27:48-53.
27. Mangunwardoyo W, Usia T. Antimicrobial and identification of active compound Curcuma xanthorriza. Int J Basic Appl Sci 2012;12:69-78.