DEVELOPMENT AND VALIDATION OF A HIGH-PERFORMANCE LIQUID CHROMATOGRAPHY METHOD FOR DETERMINING METFORMIN HYDROCHLORIDE IN DRIED BLOOD SPOTS
Objective: This study aimed to develop an analytical method for determining metformin concentrations in human dried blood spots (DBS) using
optimal chromatographic conditions and DBS preparation methods and validate the analytical methods.
Methods: Analysis metformin HCl performed using C-18 columns (250 mm Ã— 4.6 mm) at a column temperature of 40Â°C with a mobile phase acetonitrile
phosphate buffer (40:60% v/v) at pH 7.0 using a flow rate of 0.8 mL/min, a photodiode array detector at a wavelength of 234 nm, and atorvastatin
calcium as an internal standard. Samples were prepared by protein precipitation with 60% methanol and then drying using nitrogen gas at 60Â°C for
15 min before reconstituting in 200 Î¼L of the mobile phase.
Results: Invalidation procedures, the present methods met the acceptance criteria stated in the EMEA Bioanalytical Guideline 2011. The method was
also linear at the concentration range of 25.0â€“5000.0 ng/mL (r=0.9997).
Conclusion: The developed method for determination of metformin HCl in DBS sample was valid with a concentration range of 25.0â€“5000.0 ng/mL
and can be applied to in vivo studies.
2. Aburuz S, Millership J, McElnay J. Dried blood spot liquid
chromatography assay for therapeutic drug monitoring of metformin.
J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 2006;832:202-7.
3. Lakshmy R. Analysis of the use of dried blood spot measurements in
disease screening. J Diabetes Sci Technol 2008;2:242-3.
4. Brem H, Tomic-Canic M. Cellular and molecular basis of wound
healing in diabetes. J Clin Invest 2007;117:1219-22.
5. Michigan State University. Department of Chemistry. Internal Standard;
2016. Available from: https://www.2.chemistry.msu.edu/courses/
Standard%20Addition%20.pdf. [Last cited on 2016 Oct 08].
6. EMEA. Guideline on Bioanalytical Method Validation. London:
Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP); 2011.
7. David V, Medvedovici A, Albu F. Retention behavior of metformin
and related impurities in ion-pairing liquid chromatography. J Liq
Chromatogr Relat Technol 2005;28:81-95.
8. Elshaboury SR, Mohamed NA, Ahmed S, Farrag S. An efficient ionpair
liquid chromatographic method for the determination of some H2
receptor antagonists. J Chromatogr Sci 2016;54:419-28.
9. Majidano SA, Khuhawar MY. GC determination of famotidine,
ranitidine, cimetidine, and metformin in pharmaceutical preparation and
serum using methylglyoxal as derivatizing reagent. Chromatographia
10. Kolte BL, Raut BB, Deo AA, Bagool MA, Shinde DB. Simultaneous
determination of metformin in its multicomponent dosage forms with
glipizide and gliclazide using micellar liquid chromatography. J Liq
Chromatogr Relat Technol 2003;26:1117-33.
11. Iwasaki Y, Sawada T, Hatayama K, Ohyagi A, Tsukuda Y, Namekawa K,
et al. Separation technique for the determination of highly polar
metabolites in biological samples. Metabolites 2012;2:496-515.