THE EFFECT OF ANTICOAGULANT TYPES ON THE IN VITRO ANALYSIS OF CLOPIDOGREL IN HUMAN PLASMA USING LIQUID CHROMATOGRAPHY TANDEM-MASS SPECTROMETRY
Objective: The aim of this study was to optimize and validate a plasma clopidogrel analysis method using liquid chromatography tandem-mass
Methods: Plasma samples were analyzed using a BEH C18 column (1.7 Î¼m; 100 mmÃ—2.1 mm), the mobile phase was 0.1% formic acid in acetonitrile
(30:70, v/v). The flow rate was 0.2 mL/min, with a column temperature set to 35Â°C, an injection volume of 5 Î¼L, an analysis time of 4 min, and
irbesartan as the internal standard. Aliquots were obtained by liquid-liquid extraction using ammonium acetate and diethyl ether. The stability and
peak area ratio of the respective plasma area responses were evaluated using ANOVA.
Results: No significant differences (p>0.05) were observed between anticoagulants regarding analyte stability. However, the peak area ratio
showed significant differences (p<0.05) between the anticoagulants. The accuracy and precision of the analysis with citrate, heparin, and
ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (EDTA) plasma met the quality requirements, and a linear calibration curve was created with concentrations ranging
from 0.02 to 5.0 ng/mL.
Conclusion: The results showed that improved analysis of clopidogrel was achieved using citrate or heparin plasma compared with EDTA plasma.
and Applications. Hematology Clinical Principles and Applications.
Missouri: Elseviers; 2012.
2. Wells BG, DiPiro JT, Schwinghammer TL, DiPiro CV. Pharmacotherapy
Handbook. 9th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2015.
3. LÃ¼llmann H, Mohr K, Hein L, Bieger D. Color Atlas of Pharmacology.
3rd ed. New York: Georg Thieme Verlag; 2005.
4. Lainesse A, Ozalp Y, Wong H, Alpan RS. Bioequivalence study of
clopidogrel bisulfate film-coated tablets. Arzneimittel Forschung
5. Bowen RA, Hortin GL, Csako G, OtaÃ±ez OH, Remaley AT. Impact of
blood collection devices on clinical chemistry assays. Clin Biochem
6. Barri T, Dragsted LO. UPLC-ESI-QTOF/MS and multivariate data
analysis for blood plasma and serum metabolomics: Effect of experimental
artefacts and anticoagulant. Anal Chim Acta 2013;768:118-28.
7. Li W, Zhang J, Tse FL, Li W, Zhang J, Tse FL, editors. Handbook of
LC-MS Bioanalysis : Best Practices, Experimental Protocols, and
Regulations. New Jersey: John Wiley and Sons; 2013.
8. Moffat AC, Osselton M, Widdop B, Moffat AC, Osselton M, Widdop B,
editors. Clarkâ€™s Analysis of Drugs and Poisons. 3rd ed. London:
Pharmaceutical Press; 2004.
9. Christensen JM, Stalker D. Ibuprofen piconol hydrolysis in vitro in
plasma, whole blood, and serum using different anticoagulants. J Pharm
10. Barton RH, Waterman D, Bonner FW, Holmes E, Clarke R, Procardis
Consortium, et al. The influence of EDTA and citrate anticoagulant
addition to human plasma on information recovery from NMR-based
metabolic profiling studies. Mol Biosyst 2010;6:215-24.
11. Evans G. A Handbook of Bioanalysis and Drug Metabolism.
A Handbook of Bioanalysis and Drug Metabolism. Boca Raton: CRC
12. Yi J, Craft D, Gelfand CA. Minimizing preanalytical variation of
plasma samples by proper blood collection and handling. Methods Mol
13. Gonzalez-Covarrubias V, Dane A, Hankemeier T, Vreeken RJ. The
influence of citrate, EDTA, and heparin anticoagulants to human
plasma LCâ€“MS lipidomic profiling. Metabolomics 2013;9:337-48.
14. Harahap Y. The Role of Bioanalysis in Drug Quality Assurance and
Improving Quality of Patient Life. Jakarta: Universitas Indonesia-
15. Hall TG, Smukste I, Bresciano KR, Wang Y, Mckearn D, Savage RE.
Identifying and overcoming matrix effects in drug discovery and
development. In: Tandem Mass Spectrometry-Applications and
Principles. INTECH; 2012. p. 794.
16. Harahap Y, Masyarah I, Suryadi H. Analytical validation of clopidogrel in
human plasma through ultra-high performance liquid chromatographytandem
mass spectrometry. Int J App Pharm 2017;9:721-33.
17. Waters. Waters UPLC, UHPLC, and HPLC Column Selection and
Mobile Phase Guide Wide pH Range. USA: Waters Corporation; 2016.
18. Shaikh S, Jain V. A novel reverse-phase high-performance liquid
chromatographic method for simultaneous estimation of ellagic acid,
quercetin, and piperine in ayurvedic formulations. Asian J Pharm Clin
19. Rao N, Gawde K. Method development and force degradation
studies for simultaneous estimation of salbutamol sulfate, etofylline
and bromhexine hydrochloride in pharmaceutical dosage form using
reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography method.
Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:378-82.
20. Selvaraj NA, Vijayalkshmi K. Chromatographic separation of bioactive
compounds from ipomoeae batatas lam by Column, HPTLC and GCMS
techniques. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2014;7:4-8.
21. Fountain KJ. UPLC Versus UHPLC : Comparison of Loading and
Peak Capacity for Small Molecule Drugs. Milford, USA: Waters
Corporation; 2011. p. 1-6.
22. European Medicines Agency. Guideline on the Investigation of
Bioequivalence. Vol 1. London: European Medicines Agency; 2010.