BIOFILM FORMATION OF CANDIDA ALBICANS EXPOSED TO ETHANOL EXTRACT OF PROPOLIS
Objective: Propolis extract showed an excellent in vitro performance against yeast and was additionally found to be fungistatic and fungicidal. Propolis
extract is also used for treatment and prevention of fungal infections. However, its effectiveness against Candida albicans biofilm formation requires
investigation. The study evaluated the ability of propolis to inhibit C. albicans while the fungus is growing as a biofilm in vitro.
Methods: Two reference strains, C. albicans ATCC 25923 and a clinical strain (laboratory stock), were used in this study. For the biofilm experiment,
the fungi were cultured in Tryptic Soy Broth medium with 1% sucrose and incubated at 37°C for 24 h, and different concentrations of ethanol extract
of propolis were used as the inhibitor agents. Biofilm assays were performed in 96-well microtiter plates, quantification of the total biofilm biomass
was performed using a crystal violet staining method, and the Student’s t-test was chosen for statistical analyses.
Results: Our data showed that 3 h incubation with propolis did not affect the biomass in the experimental group compared to the control. When the
incubation time was extended to 18 h, the biomass increased significantly compared to the control.
Conclusion: This study showed that several concentrations of propolis did not inhibit biofilm. However, in each incubation time, we observed no
hyphal morphology in the biofilm mass. Propolis might attenuate the opportunistic virulence of fungus growing as a biofilm in vitro. Further studies
are necessary to confirm this phenomenon.
Krom BP, et al. Candida albicans alters the bacterial microbiome of
early in vitro oral biofilms. J Oral Microbiol 2017;9:1270613.
2. Green CB, Cheng G, Chandra J, Mukherjee P, Ghannoum MA,
Hoyer LL, et al. RT-PCR detection of Candida albicans ALS gene
expression in the reconstituted human epithelium (RHE) model of oral
candidiasis and in model biofilms. Microbiology 2004;150:267-75.
3. Nobile CJ, Johnson AD. Candida albicans biofilms and human disease.
Annu Rev Microbiol 2015;69:71-92.
4. Waldner-Tomic NM, Vanni R, Belibasakis GN, Thurnheer T, Attin T,
Schmidlin PR. The in vitro antimicrobial efficacy of propolis against
four oral pathogens: A review. Dent J 2014;2:85-97.
5. Daffalla KA, Mahmoud AS. Propolis as a natural remedy. J Int Oral
6. Khurshid Z, Naseem M, Zafar MS, Najeeb S, Zohaib S. Propolis:
A natural biomaterial for dental and oral healthcare. J Dent Res Dent
Clin Dent Prospects 2017;11:265-74.
7. Liu S, Qiu W, Zhang K, Zhou X, Ren B, He J, et al. Nicotine enhances
interspecies relationship between Streptococcus mutans and Candida
albicans. Biomed Res Int 2017;2017:7953920.
8. Ikono R, Mardliyati E, Agustin IT, Ulfi MM, Andrianto D, Hasanah U,
et al. Chitosan-PRP nanosphere as a growth factors slow releasing
device with superior antibacterial capability. Biomed Phys Eng Express
9. Gurenlian JR. The role of dental plaque in oral health. J Dent Hyg
10. Cavalheiro M, Teixeira MC. Candida biofilms: Threats, challenges, and
promising strategies. Front Med (Lausanne) 2018;5:28.
11. Ali AY, Al-Attraqhchi AAF, Al-Ahmar SP. Molecular detection of
ALS1 virulence gene of Candida albicans Isolated from groups of Iraqi
patients. Fac Med Bagdad 2015;57:79-83.
12. Inci M, Atalay MA, Özer B, Evirgen Ö, Duran N, Motor VK, et al.
Investigation of ALS1 and HWP1 genes in wild-types of Candida
albicans. Turk J Med Sci 2013;43:125-30.
13. Falsetta ML, Klein MI, Colonne PM, Scott-Anne K, Gregoire S,
Pai CH, et al. Symbiotic relationship between Streptococcus mutans
and Candida albicans synergizes virulence of plaque biofilms in vivo.
Infect Immun 2014;82:1968-81.
14. Zhou P, Kainthia P, Li X, Qi F. Suppression of Candida albicans growth
and filamentation by oral Staphylococcus aureus. SM J Infect Dis
15. Salli KM, Ouwehand AC. The use of in vitro model systems to study dental
biofilms associated with caries: A short review. J Oral Microbiol 2015;
16. Li Y-H, Huang X, Tian X-L. Recent advances in dental biofilm: Impacts
of microbial interactions on the biofilm ecology and pathogenesis.
AIMS Bioeng 2017;4:335-50.
17. Xiao J, Moon Y, Li L, Rustchenko E, Wakabayashi H, Zhao X, et al.
Candida albicans carriage in children with severe early childhood caries
(S-ECC) and maternal relatedness. PLoS One 2016;11:e0164242.
18. Carreiro AP, Guedes SF, Panariello BH, da Silveira PV, Janal MN,
Duarte S. Farnesol Anti-biofilm activity against Candida albicans
reference and mutant strains. Microbiol Res J Int 2017;22:1-7.
19. Velikova M, Bankova V, Marcucci MC, Tsvetkova I, Kujumgiev A.
Chemical composition and biological activity of propolis from Brazilian
meliponinae. Z Naturforsch C 2000;55:785-9.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.