BIOLOGICAL ACTIVITY OF ß-GLUCANS FROM EDIBLE MUSHROOM, SCHIZOPHYLLUM COMMUNE IN THAILAND
Objective: The objective of this research was to determine the antioxidant of ß-glucans from an edible mushroom, Schizophyllum commune in Thailand.
Methods: The antioxidant activity of ß-glucans was measured in terms of hydrogen donating or radical scavenging ability by 2, 2-diphenyl-1-
picrylhydrazyl (DPPH) method,2,2´-azinobis-(3-ethyl-benzothiazoline-6-sulfonic acid (ABTS) radical scavenging activity analysis, and total phenolic
compounds. The ß-glucans structure was analyzed using Fourier-transform infrared spectrophotometer.
Results: The ß-glucans were extracted from S. commune and tested biological activities. Using the Folin–Ciocalteu Reactive method, we found that
the phenolic compound contents of ethanol extracts of the mushroom sample were 284.41±1.22 mgGAE/g extract. The IC50 radical scavenging ability
(DPPH) and IC50 radical scavenging activity (ABTS) of ß-glucans were 0.829±0.006 and 0.724±0.021 mg/mL, respectively.
Conclusion: The ß-glucans from S. commune in Thailand showed a potent antioxidant activity and it will be able to apply in pharmaceutical cosmetics.
evaluation of Schizophyllum commune. Indian J Sci Res 2017;13:57-62.
2. Devi LS, Dasgupta A, Chankraborty M, Borthakur SK, Singh NI.
Chemical composition and antioxidant activity of Schizophyllum
commune. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2014;27:173-7.
3. Robaszkiewicz A, Bartosz G, Lawrynowicz M, Soszynski M. The Role
of polyphenols, ?-Carotene, and lycopene in the antioxidative action of
the extracts of dried, edible mushrooms. J Nutr Metab 2010;11:1-9.
4. Barros L, Venturini BA, Baptista P, Estevinho LM, Ferreira IC. Chemical
composition and biological properties of Portuguese wild mushrooms:
A comprehensive study. J Agric Food Chem 2008;56:3856-62.
5. Chen D, Dou QP. Tea polyphenols and their roles in cancer prevention
and chemotherapy. Int J Mol Sci 2008;9:1196-206.
6. Markus MA, Morris BJ. Resveratrol in prevention and treatment of
common clinical conditions of aging. Clin Interv Aging 2008;3:331-9.
7. Rahman I, Biswas SK, Kirkham PA. Regulation of inflammation and redox
signaling by dietary polyphenols. Biochem Pharmacol 2006;72:1439-52.
8. Zern TL, Fernandez ML. Cardioprotective effects of dietary
polyphenols. J Nutr 2005;135:2291-4.
9. Yu L, Haley S, Perret J, Harris M. Comparison of wheat flours grown
at different locations for their antioxidant properties. Food Chem
10. Brindzová L, ?ertík M, Rapta P, Zalibera M, Mikulajová A, Takácsová
M. Antioxidant activity, ?-glucan and lipid contents of oat varieties.
Czech J Food Sci 2008;26:163-73.
11. Singh KA, Chanu KL, Snehalatha V. Screening of antimicrobial,
antioxidant and anticancer activity of Schizophyllum commune and
Auricularia auricula. Int J Adv Sci Res Publ 2018;4:8-12.
12. Özcan Ö, Ertan F. Beta-glucan content, antioxidant and antimicrobial
activities of some edible mushroom species. Food Sci Technol
13. Zechner-Krpan V, Petravic-Tominac V, Gospodaric I, Sajli L,
Dakovic S, Filipovic-Grcic J. Characterization of b-glucans isolated
from Brewer’s yeast and dried by different methods. Food Technol
14. Limberger-Bayer VM, de Francisco A, Chan A, Oro, T, Ogliari PJ,
Barreto PL. Barley b-glucans extraction and partial characterization.
Food Chem 2014;154:84-9.
15. Ahmad A, Anjum FM, Zahoor T, Nawaz H, Ahmed Z. Extraction and
characterization of d-glucan from oat for industrial utilization. Int J Biol
16. Wang Y, Ahmed Z, Feng W, Li C, Song S. Physicochemical properties
of exopolysaccharide produced by Lactobacillus kefiranofaciens ZW3
isolated from tibet kefir. Int J Biol Markers 2008;43:283-8.
17. Mikkelsen MS, Jespersen BM, Moller BL, Laerke HN, Larsen FH,
Engelsen SB. Comparative spectroscopic and rheological studies on
crude and purified soluble barley and oat b-glucan preparations. Food
Res Int 2010;43:2417-24.
18. Wang SS, Wang DM, Pu WJ, Li DW. Phytochemical profiles,
antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of three Potentilla species.
BMC Complement Altern Med 2013;13:321.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.