EMERGING THERAPY FOR DENGUE
Dengue fever is acute febrile diseases, itâ€™s caused by one of four closely related virus serotypes of the genusare Flavivirus, family Flaviviridae. Each serotype is sufficiently different that there is no cross-protection and epidemics caused by multiple serotypes can occurs. Itâ€™s transmitted to humans by the mosquito. The incidence of dengue has grown around the world in recent a period of ten years. However, several classes of agents are in under investigation as potential anti-dengue drugs, including direct host modulators, antivirals, and RNAi therapeutics. These anti-dengue drugs in development will be reviewed here.
2. TP Endy, SC Weaver, KA Hanley. Dengue virus: past, present and future In: Frontiers in dengue virus research. KA Hanley, SC Weaver. eds. Caister Academic Press: Norfolk, UK ISBN 978-1-904455; 2010. p. 50-9.
3. Kuldeep Singh, Pragati Shakya. Prevention and control of dengue by herbal remedies. J Chem Pharm Res 2016;8:708-13.
4. DJ Gubler. Epidemic dengue/dengue hemorrhagic fever as a public health, social and economic problem in the 21st century. Trends Microbial 2002;10:100â€“3.
5. EC Holmes, SS Twiddy. The origin, emergence and evolutionary genetics of dengue virus. Infection Genetics Evolution 2003;3:19â€“28.
6. World Health Organization. The World Health Report fighting disease, fostering development. Geneva: WHO; 1996. p. 137.
7. World Health Organization. International Health Regulations. 2nd edition. Geneva: WHO; 2008.
8. Fusco DN, Chung RT. Review of current dengue treatment and therapeutics in development. J Bioanal Biomed 2014;S8:1-10.
9. Blacksell SD. Commercial dengue rapid diagnostic tests for point-of-care application: recent evaluations and future needs? J Biomed Biotechnol 2012:151967. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/ 2012/151967
10. Niyomrattanakit P, Chen YL, Dong H, Yin Z, Qing M. Inhibition of dengue virus polymerase by blocking of the RNA tunnel. J Virol 2010;84:5678-86.
11. Brandl M, Wu X, Holper M, Hong L, Jia Z. Physicochemical properties of the nucleoside prodrug R1626 leading to high oral bioavailability. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 2008;34:683-91.
12. Yang CC, Hu HS, Wu RH, Wu SH, Lee SJ. A novel dengue virus inhibitor, BP13944, discovered by high-throughput screening with dengue virus replicon cells selects for resistance in the viral NS2B/NS3 protease. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2014;58:110-9.
13. Krishnan MN, Garcia-Blanco MA2. Targeting host factors to treat West Nile and dengue viral infections. Viruses 2014;6:683-708.
14. Thomas E, Ghany MG, Liang TJ. The application and mechanism of action of ribavirin in therapy of hepatitis C. Antivir Chem Chemother 2012;23:1-12.
15. Frias Staheli N, Dorner M, Marukian S, Billerbeck E, Labitt RN. Utility of humanized BLT mice for analysis of dengue virus infection and antiviral drug testing. J Virol 2014;88:2205-18.
16. Fusco DN, Brisac C, John SP, Huang YW, Chin CR. A genetic screen identifies interferon-ÃŽÂ±effector genes required to suppress hepatitis C virus replication. Gastroenterology 2013;144:1438-1449, 1449.
17. Yang CC, Hu HS, Wu RH, Wu SH, Lee SJ. A novel dengue virus inhibitor, BP13944, discovered by high-throughput screening with dengue virus replicon cells selects for resistance in the viral NS2B/NS3 protease. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2014;58:110-9.
18. Coutard B, Decroly E, Li C, Sharff A, Lescar J. Assessment of dengue virus helicase and methyltransferase as targets for fragment-based drug discovery. Antiviral Res 2014;106:61-70.
19. AbdKadir SL, Yaakob H, Mohamed Zulkifli R. Potential anti-dengue medicinal plants: a review. J Nat Med 2013;67:677-89.