EFFECT OF STORAGE TEMPERATURES ON THE QUALITY OF PINK PERCH SURIMI
A detailed investigation on microbiological, biochemical and organoleptic quality changes in frozen surimi of pink perch (Nemipterus japonicus) stored at ambient (25Â±5Â°C), refrigerated (5Â±3 Â°C) and at frozen temperatures (-10Â±2 Â°C), was carried out. Bacterial count, trimethylamine and total volatile nitrogen values increased with storage time while, organoleptic score decreased. Nutrient contents and gel strength of surimi decreased while, moisture and whiteness increased with storage period. Results indicated that at ambient temperature, frozen surimi can be stored only for about 8 hrs, while at refrigerator temperature up to 5 days and at frozen temperature up to 60 days.
Keywords: Pink pearch, minced meat, surimi, frozen storage.
2. Ofstad R, Grahl EM, Solberg C. Blue whiting surimi: Processing and quality. FTFI â€“ RAPP. Trondheim â€“ Norway Fiskeriteknol. â€“ Forskningslnst. 1990; 38 pp.
3. Martinez I, Eide O, Ofstad R. Correlation of chemical parameters in cod mince and surimi with the surimi quality. In: Kramer DE, Liston J, Editors. Proc. Intl. Symp. Seafood Quality Determination. Alaska; 1987; 15: 389-401.
4. Bligh EG, Spencer K. Surimi studies on white hake (Urophycis tenuis). Proc. Twelth annual conference of the tropical and subtropical Fisheries Technological Society of the Americas, Florida University, Gainesville, USA; 1988; 672 pp.
5. Abraham JT, Sugumar G, Sukumar D, Jeyachandran P. Bacterial profile of fresh and spoiled fish mince from Johnius dussumieri at refrigerated storage. Fish. Technol. 1992; 29: 53-56.
6. Tueksuban J. Effect of quality changes during iced storage of lizard fish on surimi gels. 3rd Regional IMT-GT UNINET Conference on Land development and Sustainable Bioresources, Medan, Indonesia; 2000.
7. FDA. Bacteriological Analytical Manual. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. 1978.
8. Conway EJ, Byrne A. An absorption apparatus for the micro determination of certain volatile substances. Biochem J. 1933; 27: 419.
9. ASTM. Manual of Sensory Testing Methods, 1968; 434 pp.
10. AOAC. Official Methods of the Association of Official Analytical Chemists. 1990;1298 pp.
11. Shimizu Y. Surimi quality. In: Okada M, Kinumaki T, Yokozeki M, editors. Shinpan Gyoniku-neriseihin, Koseisha-Koseikaku. Tokyo, Japan 1981.
12. Lee CM. Surimi process technology. Food Technol. 1984; 38:69.
13. Himelbloom BH, Lee JS Microbiology and HACCP in surimi manufacturing. In: Park JW, editor. Surimi and Surimi Seafood, Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York; 2000; 500pp.
14. Hegde G, Chandrasekhar TC, Dora KC. Quality changes of fish sausage incorporated with potato starch powder at room temperature. Fish.Technol. 1992; 29: 136-139.
15. George C, Gopakumar K. Spoilage changes in the muscle of crab, Scylla serrata stored at three different temperatures. Proc. 1st Indian Fisheries Forum, Asian Fisheries Society, Mangalore; 1987; p.347-349.
16. Yongsawatdigul J. Biochemical changes of threadfin bream during ice storage and their effects on thermal denaturation patterns. School of Food Technology, Suranaree University of Technology, Nakhon Ratchasima, 30000, Thailand; 2001.
17. Atsumi T, Wakameda A, Noguchi SF. Frozen storage of surimi containing microbial transglutaminase made from various kinds of fish species. Fish. Sci. 1995; 61(3): 458-463.
18. Ashok Kumar K, Ravishankar CN, Badonia R, Solanki KK. Quality changes in whale shark (Rhinodon typus, Smith) meat during storage in ice. Fish. Technol. 2000; 37 (1): 15-18.
19. Anon. Government of India notification and specifications for frozen fish products. 1985.
20. Boynes DT. Shelf life studies of fish sausage (Carcharihinus limabtu). M.F.Sc. Thesis, St. Augustine (Trinidad and Tobags), 1989; 182 pp.
21. Daley LH, Deng JC, Oblinger JL. Stability of refrigerated mullet sausages. J. Food. Sci., 1979: 44 : 883 â€“ 891.
22. Chandrasekhar TC, Prabhu RM, Krishnamurty BV. Relative merits of oleoresins and dried spice powders in preservation of fish sausages, Proc. 1st Indian Fisheries Forum, Asian Fisheries Society, Mangalore, 1988; p. 427-430.
23. Govindan TK. Fish Processing Technology. Oxford and IBH publishing Co. Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi; 1985; 245pp.