CLIMATE CHANGES AND ITS IMPACT ON FISH WITH REFERENCE TO ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANT ENTERIC BACTERIA AND HEAVY METAL ACCUMULATION: A HUMAN HEALTH
Fresh fish (Mugil cephalus) is a very important source of protein to the population in our country. This fish may harbor Salmonella sp. It may be a source of pathogen to human being. A total of 20 samples (20 muscles and 20 gills) were analyzed. The isolates were exposed to 5 different antibiotics. Most of the isolated were resistances to at least one of the antibiotic. This is a clear indication that sewage effluent causes contamination of marine wildlife. Investigation on the accumulation of heavy metals (cadmium, copper and chromium) was carried out commercially important fish (Mugil cphalus). The accumulation was observed in tissues of muscles and gills. The result revealed that the copper and cadmium concentration were highest in the muscle and gills. In the muscle and gill of Mugil cephalus the order of accumulation was Copper>Cadmium>Chromium.
Key words: Salmonella sp, Heavy metals, Fish, Muscles and Gills
2. Gomez,T.M ,Y. Motrjemi ,S. Miyagawa ,F.K. Kaferstein, K. Stohr , â€œFoodborne Salmonellosisâ€ World Health Stat. Q.;vol 50, pp81-9,1997.
3. Esaki ,H; A. Morioka , K. Ishihara, â€œ Antimicrobial susceptibility of Salmonella isolated from cattle, swine, and poultry (2001 â€“ 2002): Report from the Japanese Veterinary Antimicrobial Resistance Monitoring Programâ€, Antimicrob. Chemother vol 53, pp 266- 70,2004.
4. Davies, R.H; C. Wray, â€œ Seasonal variations in the isolation of Salmonella typhimurium, Salmonella enteritidis, Bacillus aureus and Clostridium perfringens from environmental samplesâ€, J. vet. Med. Ser.vol 43, pp.119-127,1996.
5. Chao, W;R. Ding, R. Chen, â€œSurvival of pathogenic bacteria in environmental microcosmsâ€, Chinese J. Microbial Immun. Vol. 20, pp.339-348,1987.
6. Abdel-Monem, M.H; A.A. Dowidar, â€œRecoveries of Salmonella fromsoil in Eastern region of Saudi Arabia Kingdonâ€™, J. Egypt. Public HealthAssoc. vol, 65, pp.61- 75, 1990.
7. Baudart , J; K. Lemarchand , A. Brisabois , P. Lebaron, â€œ Diversity ofSalmonella strains isolated from the acquatic environment as determined by serotyping and amplification of ribosomal DNA spacer regionsâ€, Appl. Environ. Microbiol.; vol. 66, NO. 4, pp.1544 â€“1552, 2000.
8. Lipp , E.K; J.B. Rose, â€œ The role of sea food in foodborne diseases in the United States of America,â€ Rev. Sci. Tech. OIE, vol. 16, pp.620- 640,1997.
9. Zlotkin , A; A. Eldar , C. Ghifino , H. Bercovier , â€œ Identification ofLactococcus garvieae by PCR,â€. J. Clin. Microbiol.,vol. 36 pp. 983- 985,1989.
10. Bhaftopadhyay , P.â€œ Fish â€“ catching and handling ,â€ In: Robinson R.K. (ed.): Encyclopedia of Food Microbiology, Academic Press, London, vol.2, pp. 1547,2000.
11. Acha, P.N; B. Szyfres, â€œZoonoses and communicable diseases common to man and animals,â€ Bacterioses and mycoses. 3rd ed. Scientific and Technical Publication ,vol.1, No. 580, Pan American HealthOrganization, Regional Office of the WHO, Washington, USA,; ISBN 92 75 31580 9. pp..384,2003.
12. Liston,J. â€œMicrobiology in fishery scienceâ€, In Connell, JJ. (ed). Advances in Fish Science andTechnology; Jubilee Conference of Torry Research Oxford: Fishing News Books Ltd, Farnham, UK, 1980.
13. Kayambo, S; E.J.Sven , â€œ Lake Victoria. Experience and lessons learnt. A case Study for Preliminary Risk Assessment Report.; pp. 431 â€“ 446, 2006.
14. Onyango, D; S. Wandili, R. Kakai, E.N. Waindi, Isolation of Salmonella and Shigella from fish harvested along winam Gulf of lake Victoria, Kenya, J. infect. Dis. In Developing Countries,Vol. 2, pp.106- 111, 2008b.
15. Dutch, H and Altwegg M (1995). Evaluation of Five New Plating Media for Isolation of Salmonella species. Journal Clinical Microbial. 33: 802 â€“ 304.
16. Michael, G; Simoneti, R; de Costa, M and Cardoso, M (2003). Comparison of Different Selective Enrichment Steps to Isolate Salmonella Sp. from Feces of Finishing Swine Brazil Journal Microbiology. 34: 138 â€“ 142.
17. Haltha ,A and Lakshmanaperumalsamy M (1997). Prevalence of Salmonella in fish and crustaceans from markets in Coimbatore, South India, Food Microbiology 14: 111â€“116.
18. Hunter, C. and A. Mac Donald, 1991. Seasonal market in Khartoum state. J. Bacteriology Res., 1: changes in the sanitary bacterial quality of water 085-088. draining a small upland catchments in the Yorkshire .
19. Tian, Y.Q., P. Gong, D. RadkeJ and J. Scarborough, DNA probe by colony hybridization using non- 2002. Spatial and temporal modeling of microbial isotopic and isotopic labeling. APMIS, 100: 623-628. contaminants on grazing farmlands. J. Environ. Qual.,
20. Hyland, R., J. Byrne, B. Selinger, T. Graham, chain reaction assay for the detection of Salmonella J. Thomas, I. Townshend and V. Gannon, 2003. bacteria species within the oldman river basin of South. European Journal of Clinical Microbiology Spatial and temporal distribution of faecal indicator and Infectious Dis., 15: 603-607.
21. KÃ¼mmerer, K., 2009. Antibiotics in the aquatic environment. A review. Part II. chemosphere 75, 435â€“441.
22. Levy, S.B., 1994. Balancing the drug resistance equation. Trends Microbiol. 2, 41â€“ 342.
23. Levy, S.B., 1992. The Antibiotics Paradox: How Miracle Drugs are Destroying the Miracle. Plenum, New York.
24. Al-Bahry, S.N., Mahmoud, I.Y., Elshafie, A.E., Al-Harthy, A., Al-Ghafri, S., Al-Amri, I., Alkindi, A.Y., 2009. Bacterial flora and antibiotic resistance from eggs of green turtles Chelonia mydas: an indication of polluted effluents. Mar. Pollut. Bull. 58, 720â€“725.
25. Kendrick, M.H., M.T. May, M.J. Plishka and K.D. Robinson: Metals in Biological Systems. Ellis Horwood Ltd., England (1992).
26. El-Shahawi, M.S.: Spectroscopic and electrochemical studies of chromium III complexes with some naturally occurring ligands containing sulphur. Spectrochim. Acta, 52, 139-148 (1996).
27. Usero, J; C. Izquierdo, J. Morillo, and I. Gracia, â€œHeavy metals in fish (Solea vulgaris, Anguilla anguilla and Liza aurata) from salt marshes on the southern Atlantic coast of Spain,â€ Environment International. 2003, 29: 949â€“ 956.
28. Dural, M; M. Ziya Lugal Goksu, and A.A. Ozak, â€œInvestigation of heavy metal levels in economically important fish species captured from the Tuzla lagoon,â€ Food Chemistry.2007, 102: 415â€“421.
29. Al-Yousuf, M.H; M.S. El-Shahawi, and S.M. Al-Ghais, â€œTrace metals in liver, skin and muscle of Lethrinus lentjan fish species in relation to body length and sex,â€ The Science of the Total Environment. 2000, 256: 87-94.
30. YÄ±lmaz, A.B.â€œLevels of heavy metals (Fe, Cu, Ni, Cr, Pb and Zn) in tissue of Mugil cephalus and Trachurus mediterraneus from Iskenderun Bay, Turkey,â€ Environmental Research. 2003, 92: 277â€“281.
31. Kraemer, L.D; P.G.C. Campbell, and L. Hare, â€œSeasonal variations in hepatic Cd and Cu concentrations and in the sub-cellular distribution of these metals in juvenile yellow perch (Perca flavescens) ,â€ Environmental Pollution. 2006, 142: 313-325.
32. Canli, M. and G.z. Atli, â€œThe relationships between heavy metal (Cd, Cr, Cu, Fe, Pb, Zn) levels and the size of six Mediterranean fish species,â€ Environmental Pollution. 2003, 121: 129â€“136.
33. Romeo, M; Y. Siau, Z. Sidoumou, and M. Gnassia-Barelli, â€œHeavy metal distribution in different fish species from the Mauritania coast,â€ The Science of the total Environment. 1999, 232: 169-175.
34. Hoar, W.S; and D. J. Randall, Fish Physiology. Vol. X. Gills. Part A. Anatomy, Gas Transfer, and Acid-Base Regulation. Academic Press, 1984, Orlando, FL.
35. Altindag,A; and S. Yigit, â€œAssessment of heavy metal concentrations in the food web of lake Beysehir, Turkey,â€ Chemospher. 2005, 60: 552-556.
36. Huang, W.B. â€œHeavy metal concentrations in the common benthic fishes caught from the coastal waters of Eastern Taiwan,â€ Journal of Food and Drug Analysis. 2003,11 (4): 324-330.
37. Al-Saleh, I.and N. Shinwari, â€œPreliminary report on the levels of elements in four fish species from the Arabian Gulf of Saudi Arabia,â€ Chemosphere. 2002,48: 749-755.
38. Aucoin, J; R. Blanchard, C. Billiot, C. Partridge, D. Schultz, and K. Mandhare, â€œTrace Metals in Fish and Sediments from Lake Boeuf, Southeastern Louisiana,â€ Microchemical Journal. 1999, 62: 299â€“307.